I suggest you ...

Remove the File size limit of 2GB for syncing.

There are numerous files that can exceed this file size. Especially if you're syncing family videos, large CAD files, or perhaps digital art files. This makes OneDrive not very useful for my purposes, and others I suspect.

I heard back in 2012 that this was something that the OneDrive team wanted to do but I haven't heard an update on this since then. Please let us know what's going on with this.

343 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Brian HallBrian Hall shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Zsombor FritzZsombor Fritz commented  · 

I still get sync problem with file bigger than 2GB: ("Files can't be larger than 2 GB. Please reduce the size of the file to upload it to OneDrive, or move it to a different location on this PC.".
        So when will this upgrade available for all users???

• RSKRSK commented  · 

So this is only for onedrive not for SharePoint online correct?

• DomDom commented  · 

Very nice. That's about time !!!

• Angus LoganAdminAngus Logan (Admin, Microsoft) commented  · 

@Brock - you are correct - we are working on bringing this update to our commercial customers. For tracking purposes, could you submit another idea under "OneDrive for Business" category; I'll mark it as Started and merge any future dupes into that one. Thanks

• Brock DavisBrock Davis commented  · 

This does not apply to business users yet so it is not really complete then right? The blog itself says that you are still working on this feature for OneDrive for Business.

• ChrisChris commented  · 

Great job MS! You finally achieved what DropBox and Google accomplished 4 years ago. Sure, Google's limit is now 5TB, which will take you another 4 years to match, but no biggie. We'll keep supporting you, just like we do Windows Phone.

Oh. Wait.

• Brian HallBrian Hall commented  · 

Congrats on bringing the file limit up to 10GB. Thank you for working on this and removing the 2GB file size limit. Keep this stuff coming!! :-)

• HelloFooBarHelloFooBar commented  · 

It seems my new limit is 10GB: "Files must be less than 10 GB in size to be uploaded to OneDrive." I hope this 10GB limit can still be increased. Unlimited file size would be the best.

• Carolyn GordonCarolyn Gordon commented  · 

It looks like my file size limit increased as soon as I subscribed to Office 365. I do still have a nearly-17GB file that won't upload, though I'm going to check to see if I even need to keep it.

• Angus LoganAdminAngus Logan (Admin, Microsoft) commented  · 

@SMFX - I'm confirming the quote from BetaNews. "We have started the work to increase the file size limit for all OneDrive accounts. We have started the process with a small number of customers and will continue to roll it out to our full customer base. We will have more to share on this update in the new future, stay tuned to the OneDrive blog."

• bhanquierbhanquier commented  · 

Cool! Now, to the rest (pause, throttling, 256-character path limit, and why not a Linux client which would allow to have OneDrive service on NAS…)

• mistergamermistergamer commented  · 

Good news and I hope that we'll have no limit.
        I have a windows phone and I take a very long video (between 40mn and 60mn). The video take many Go on storage and cannot save it on Onedrive due to that limit

• Didier3001Didier3001 commented  · 

Good news. Looking forward to see that

• Håvard Siegel HaukebergHåvard Siegel Haukeberg commented  · 

does this limit impact downloading from OneDrive.com? my downloads times out when downloading files larger than 2 gig

• Doug HickenDoug Hicken commented  · 

An ETA for when this might be addressed would be appreciated.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Great to hear you guys are working on it, appreciate the response.

• Brian HallBrian Hall commented  · 

Oh, just switch to a long. Problem solved.

Totally kidding. :-)

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base