OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive Archive

This forum has been closed but you can go to https://onedrive.uservoice.com to find, submit and vote on ideas.

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service" and "your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product. You can shake your mobile app or tap the ? then select “Email OneDrive support” from the website.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Reduce the size of the columns, Folder Child Count and Item child Count

Please. Shorten these browse column headers to Folders and Files like Windows Explorer does. These names take up too much real estate across the screen. Review your other column headers for possible shortening.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow ODB Oline to display the full path in the path context bar

Currently ODB Online only shows the parent folder in the path display. With slower online screen change updates, it is particularly frustrating to have to click up one level at a time. Please mimic what the desktop Windows Explorer does. Allow displaying the full path. While we are at it, please allow ODB Online to mimic as much of the desktop WE features as possible in the online versionl.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. "Copy Link" and "Share" commands directly from the Mac Finder

OneDrive for Business "Copy Link" and "Share" commands directly from the Mac Finder. Same feature on Mac what exists on Windows.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. It must be no element limitation in OneDrive for Business snchronization

The element limitation on team site with 5.000 elements is not business friendly. Many of my customers don't perefer because of this issue Microsoft Office 365. I don't understand why Microsoft allows 20.000 elements on personal OneDrive for Business site, but only 5.000 on Team site. It must be only a data limitation, but not element limitation in the Synchronisation.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Expand the file capabilities of One drive by 2 orders of magnitude.

With file limits of 20,000 and 5,000 to view "OneDrive for Business" is hardly a business worthy product. My support tech keeps telling me that our Onedrive capacity is 1 TB, 1 TB of storage that I cannot access is little more than deceptive advertising. I have wasted hours trying to set up and use storage space on OneDrive equivalent to local server storage and it has been a complete waste of time due to the limits imposed by the site design. Just for laughs, if he average JPG file is 300K and I can only manage 20,000 files I…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Office Online: Save as to Onedrive for Business

Implement consumer Onerive / Office Online improvements in OneDrive for Business too.

- Save as to OneDrive for Business in Office Online
    - Add to OneDrive for Business (when no edit rights to the file)

http://blogs.office.com/2015/02/11/office-online-gets-even-better-2015/

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. simplify file management in OneDrive Bus

The biggest problem in 1:1 implementations when teachers have their students upload their work to OneDrive for Bus is that the teachers then cannot delete these files or folders via OneDrive for Bus unless the students give them permission to do so. Teachers don’t know this. A course needs to include file/folder management with OneDrive for Bus as well as the use of OneNote Class Notebook Creator. It’s all about process. Our folks are working on the best practices for both. If a school/district uses OneNote with Class Notebook Creator then the file management via OneDrive for Bus is not…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Fix multiple errors within the system

1) Can't selectively sync folders within a library. A user must sync the entire cloud library. The whole purpose of cloud storage is so that a tablet would have other space to access files.

2) Can't access more that one domain. If I have two companies with two different Office 365 accounts, I can't use OneDrive For Business.

3) There is a bug while syncing. During the repair process, it deleted a file from the cloud and from my local hard drive. It wasn't stored in the local 'archived' folder either.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Create quotas for how much space a One Drive for Business user can use

We would like to suggest that we have a way to limit how much One Drive for Business space can be used. While 1 TB sounds like a great idea, many businesses have users with laptops and SSD drives which would not support so much information being synchronized to their computer. We need a way to limit how much of their One Drive for business space they can use to ensure our users do not flood their computer with various files.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Allow users to choose folders to sync in OneDrive Business for Mac

In the current beta/preview for OneDrive Business Sync for Mac, the only option is to sync all the files on their OneDrive. This may mean taking up a lot of space on my local hard drive. We should be able to select the OneDrive folders we want to sync, like the OneDrive (personal) users can do (see http://fieldguide.gizmodo.com/delete-local-copies-of-your-synced-cloud-files-to-free-1666099610 for example).

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add the ability to save a shared document to your own cloud space in the browser

If a shared document is opened and viewed in the browser there is no ability to save it to your own cloud space for personal editing. Student licences must work completely in the browser/cloud space and there is no means for them to access a shared file from a teacher and work on a copy of it with first downloading locally and then uploading in a second step. Teachers have rejected that method as unwieldy.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Unix script access to OneDrive for Business or SharePoint Online

Unix and Linux engineers work a lot with scripts to do their job. They need a scripted way to read files or write to files, no matter where they are stored. With more and more content in OneDrive, OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online you better provide a Linux/Unix documented way to achieve this.
    At the moment WGET or Lynx (text based browser) all choke upon the authentication puzzle.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. OneDrive for Business for Workgroup Collaboration

Cloud drives are at their best for workgroup collaboration. This means being able to share one or more folder structures across a distributed workgroup who may or may not be online (e.g. sales teams across the country, often in planes).

Box is great at this. SugarSync does it well too. This is really needed for OneDrive to be useful for Business.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Integrate Azure Rights Management

At the moment there are separate apps if you want to use Azure Rights Management. Why not integrate this functionality into OneDrive?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Merge/replace "Work Folders" with OneDrive

What if OneDrive merged with and replaced "Work Folders" in Windows Server? Allow me my own private cloud, based on OneDrive technology. Today this is possible, if I install Sharepoint, but that is not for everyone. That is why Work Folders were developed, to enable something like OneDrive, but based on a normal file server instead of Sharepoint. But why not just build it on actual OneDrive technology/branding? Let me use the same mobile clients. Let me share files with other people on the public OneDrive, etc. Enable hybrid scenarios, with some files in public and some in private cloud...

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Use local server as cache for off-line file access and on-premise backups

Most businesses cannot forego the use of local file server storage. They want offline access to files, they need their storage to be compatible with Line of Business (LOB) software and they need local networking speeds.

By providing a "local OneDrive cache" that can run on a Windows Server, customers would be able to benefit from local network performance and offline (no internet) access to shared files. Maybe more importantly, businesses could backup their OneDrive data through their regular backups software therefore getting rid of three major business objections in one go and paving the way for wider adoption.

Ideally,…

132 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    20 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Remove the SharePoint dependency from OneDrive for Business

It is nice to see that OneDrive (consumer) and ODfB clients are merging. That is a step in the right direction. However, we will are not likely to adopt OneDrive in our organization for one key reason: the infrastructure requirement to store ODfB data in a SharePoint site. We have a security office mandate to keep file storage on premises, and we have way to much user data to store all files in SharePoint.

Using SharePoint for document storage is administratively demanding and requires significant investment in expensive third-party BLOB externalization software. I would like to see "Work Folders" and…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow files to sync when you save, versus having to fully close a file.

If you are working on a document in Word and you hit save, you figure that the new version is now in the cloud. If you run down the hall to bring it up on another PC, say a presentation device, and you didn't close the full app, then it doesn't sync to the cloud. If you press Save, the file should replicate and you shouldn't have to Exit the file or Word to make this happen. This is where a lot of users are frustrated and say "It takes hours for my files to sync" probably they didn't close…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. OneDrive for Business - File and Naming Limits

File naming, directory limits, etc should be 100% equal to those of NTFS.

So that when we are synching files and folders from Microsoft Windows File Systems we ,shouldn't be getting messages that say there are file conflicts, sounds like incompatible 3rd party products not flagship products made by the same company... crazy!

59 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

OneDrive Archive

Feedback and Knowledge Base