OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive Archive

This forum has been closed but you can go to https://onedrive.uservoice.com to find, submit and vote on ideas.

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service" and "your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product. You can shake your mobile app or tap the ? then select “Email OneDrive support” from the website.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Let the user decide where to store stuff

It might not exactly belong here, but as it seems a general issue I hope it fits.
    Many Apps on my mobile let me store things directly to OneDrive (e. g. Office Lens, Camera), but they always store it at one place. So Office Lens wants to store stuff in the Documents folder. Unfortunatly I organised myself different and this folder does not exist, so it creates one everytime I use it. So whenever an App wants to store stuff, it should be possible, that the user of this app is able to store it to whatever folder he prefers.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. backup

I use CloudBacko (http://free.cloudbacko.com?r=1d) as an automatic backup solution, then I do some manual backup once a month on a local hard drive. But I'd like to skip that manual thing and get instead a second automatic solution.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Trusted Contact Feature - If I die

If you're a heavy Microsoft user then most of your data is likely to be on a Windows machine somewhere, which you can pass on the login credentials for if you wish. OneDrive is growing in importance though, and if there are files that are only in OneDrive then it's not easy for someone else to gain access (for obvious security reasons).

We asked the OneDrive team about it and they said if there was enough user demand for a 'trusted contact' feature (via the UserVoice site) then they'd certainly consider adding it. For Outlook.com, meanwhile, Microsoft will ship you…

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Onedrive should allow splitting across disks (DO NOT MERGE THIS IDEA)

I entered this idea, but then it was forcefully merged with another idea that was then denied. Geesh.

Please do not merge this idea. Unfortunately, I have no record of the old idea, and there is no way to get it back.

So, basically the idea is that if you have a system with a small SSD and a large HD, you cant have your OneDrive span the two disks. I said it much more eloquently before, but you deleted it in the merge.

I recommend someone go back and restore my old idea.

The Developer Formerly Known As AndrewS@Microsoft.com

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Save to my onedrive

The files shared by person A to B on onedrive comes in "Shared" menu but person B should be able to move those files to its "Files" for better view, let it eat up extra space(storage space of person B) but all the files will be under one folder.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Implement a one-click "copy to my OneDrive" from a shared folder

A key use case would be for photos, but this is useful in generality. One of the reasons people take pictures with their own camera is that they have ownership of the picture file with no extra steps. In a photo folder shared by another user, there may be pictures I want to keep long-term in my own canonical photo repository. Selecting photos, downloading them local, and reuploading to my own repo is not an efficient workflow for such a key use case. A one-click "copy to my OneDrive" can be instantaneous, works on mobile, and can store metadata that…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Make OneDrive FAST as Dropbox

Make onedrive FAST as Dropbox is. a TXT file is synced in split second in DB while OneDrive needs 25 seconds to do the same (same PC; same SSD, same internet). While updating change in few kb Excel file OneDrive take 15-30 seconds to save and close. Endless "processing changes..."

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. sync deleted pictures in cameraroll

I can understand that is for keep "deleted by error" or "deleted for space" pictures...the best will be to have a "deleted from phone" folder in onedrive camera roll

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. slideshow capability on mobile devices

Built in Slideshow support on OneDrive for all devices, ie web, windows phone, ios, android, pc.

I should be able to start a slideshow on any of these devices of my pictures directly from the OneDrive app, not have to download the pictures frist.

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Option to delete the source file.

Why dont you have a checkbox option in the onedrive app to delete the source file after its uploaded. While seleting the files provide two options - (1)Only upload files & (2) Upload and delete the source files. It becomes very confusing if you have a lot of files to manage in your device.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow sharing AND syncing directly with Dropbox or other services

Dropbox has an API, OneDrive has an API... Should be possible to make them speak to each other directly, so that I could share files between the two services and have them sync between shared folders in each service.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Update the design of the mobile version of OneDrive.com

It's currently still using the extremely dated design language from the windowslive.com days, it doesn't feel like a part of the modern OneDrive apps. It shouldn't be neglected these days that people browse on their mobile devices about as much as their computers :)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    tell us more  ·  Casey Penk responded

Hi Peter, can you tell us more about what you would like to see change? If you have specific suggestions that would really help. Thanks for using OneDrive! :)

13. Upload functionality for Onedrive client

Add upload functionality to Onedrive client. The file should be uploaded to specified folder on the drive, but not synced with other computers (assuming selective sync).

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Advanced sharing

It would be nice to manage sharing more in deep, for example i want to share a folder but i want that some files inside are not shared

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Implement OneDrive <-> OneNote cross referencing

I am working together with a group of 10 friends on a collaborating project and for that we extensively make use of OneNote and OneDrive.

What bothers us is that you cannot directly refference a shared OneDrive Folder/File in OneNote and vice versa. One has to create a specific shared link and copy that into OneNote.

It would be great if there would be an option like with sharing event notes of a calendar event with a group of people in a shared OneNote Notebook. This works wonderful and would be great to have between OneNote & OneDrive as well.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Placeholders and sync only recent files

For the first sync, I like placeholders but I can see the disadvantage of not having data when you need it.

I think it would be good to have the option to download all the files that have been accessed/opened/written within the last *** days.

That way, you can custom download the most important recent files(depending on overall size) AND have placeholders.

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow account switching in OneDrive desktop app

This feature was available in PRE-Windows 8 SkyDrive desktop application.

I have two accounts: windows and windows phone. And there's absolutely no way for me to browse my phone camera pictures on my desktop right now by using OneDrive. I'm forced to use DropBox instead.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. File stores computer name

It would be awesome if files synced in OneDrive could store the name of the computer which most recently edited it. This metadata exists in files, so OneDrive could easily store it within the file

Currently, files are considered as being created on the local computer, so the computer name of the OneDrive file is the name of the local computer

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Support for embedding video

Now we can embed on website/blog our documents, presentation, txt file, photos, exe file (!)... but we CAN'T embed our own video!

I think, that is not a technical problem, but fear before pirating films - ofcourse, it is important, but lock a embeding function is not a good way to fight with pirats.

Please, add option to embedding our own video.

80 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

OneDrive Archive

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base