OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive Archive

This forum has been closed but you can go to https://onedrive.uservoice.com to find, submit and vote on ideas.

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service" and "your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product. You can shake your mobile app or tap the ? then select “Email OneDrive support” from the website.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Share links

Hi, I have two shared Onedrive links on my website and it would be really great if they can open directly into your app instead of on a html webpage, and you could save the link in your app so you can easily assess it directly.

Also a online mp3 for streaming and video would be awesome, it's annoying use different online storage facilities - would be nice if you could inbed a Onedrive gidion or mp3 player on your website

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    boom! it's done  ·  1 comment  ·  Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow interacting with folders by name, implicit creation

As a way to help developers reduce the API requests you just so love to throttle, it'd be great if you allow us to create multiple folders at once and reference them by name, not ID.

For example, if I want to create 'My Photos/Pictures/Family/2014/01/24/my cat.jpg', I have to do a lookup for 'My Photos' to grab the ID, then I have to create the Pictures folder, then Family etc. etc.

In total, creating a file in such a position requires a substantial number of requests where it shouldn't.

This should really be possible with a single POST/PUT request.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Developer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Being able to use all the smart imaging from Lumia phones on OneDrive

Nokia Imaging made a lot of smart captures Imaging features that are currently as far as I understand only accessible on the phone. The specific format remains on the phone, and only the .JPG gets on OneDrive (maybe the raws also). It would be great if those get on OneDrive and can be looked at and used in OneDrive

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Windows Phone  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    boom! it's done  ·  Omar Shahine responded

We don’t have the viewers in OneDrive, but we now upload the full Nokia Living Image package, so an app like Photos can playback the living image

4. Allow APIs more than 200Mb transfer

As far as I can understand from what I've read on multiple sources (namely on Otixo.com and on Sinology's description of their Cloud Sync function for OneDrive), their solutions can not upload files more 200Mb to OneDrive due to limitations in its APIs.
    At this point in time, with the importance of cloud storage and the obvious need to make moving files from one place to another at will, this limitation is ludicrous and frankly hard to understand. Dropbox and Google Drive don't seem to be handicapped like OneDrive is, and Hubic has a much larger limit of 5Gb.
    Please…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Developer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Multiple personal accounts on Windows Phone

It is a must feature since we may have multiple accounts on onedrive and even google drive support multiple account login in android phones. Please add this feature.

209 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    boom! it's done  ·  31 comments  ·  Windows Phone  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. proper support for tags in photos

The support for tags seems not to work. I cannot search for tagged photos anywhere, the main search does not find them and the existing tags in photos dont seem to show up either. Please fix tags.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. WP show shared with me in Onedrive for business

The new Windows Phone Onedrive app brought integration with Onedrive for business. Greatly appreciated!
    It allows easy acces to my files, but unfortunately not yet to the files my colleagues have shared with me.
    I would love to see this option as this is the core function for Onedrive in a business environment.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    boom! it's done  ·  0 comments  ·  Windows Phone  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Offline access on Windows Phone

I keep a lot of documents on OneDrive and on Windows i can select what to sync and to keep available offline. I would like to be able to do the same on Windows Phone so the documents/folders i care about would be available offline. Simple thing, but i dont see it available right now. Seems to be core part of the functionality on Windows app?

1,656 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    43 comments  ·  Windows Phone  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please check out the latest update to Windows Phone – we shipped offline files in October. Look for the parachute icon!

9. Improve live tile

Live tiles are the heart of Windows Phone. And OneDrive's Live Tile is so.... dead.

The tile should be alive and more integrated. My suggestions:
    * Make it transparent (match the phone's theme);
    * Show something (pick one, more than one or add one).
    A photo in my camera roll;
    Let me configure a set of folders and alternate photos in them;
    ** Show some sort of "quick status" (something like "1 file updated" and "2 new folders");

242 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Windows Phone  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Live tile will show latest uploaded photos and preview thumbnail of recently edited/uploaded documents.

10. Pause / resume button on Mac

OneDrive needs a pause button! Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. all have a way to stop syncing temporarily, like when you're on a Hotel WiFi or transit WiFi and don't really want to have OneDrive using all your bandwidth. OneDrive sync client doesn't have a pause button, which means I have to quit the app, which always seems to cause problems.

571 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    45 comments  ·  Mac  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Pause for Mac is now rolled out for all users! Whether you are using the standalone Mac sync client or get it from the Mac App Store, you can now pause your sync client when syncing content from OneDrive (personal), OneDrive (for Business), or SharePoint Online.

Thank you for the suggestion!

11. Add all audio metadata to the API

Right now, OneDrive.com shows much more audio metadata than is available via the OneDrive SDK. Please remove this sad limitation for developers.

cf. https://github.com/liveservices/LiveSDK-for-Windows/issues/12

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Developer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Remove the limit on the number of search results in the API

Right now there's a 500 item cap on search results. That sucks. Please return however many results match the search.

cf https://github.com/liveservices/LiveSDK-for-Windows/issues/17

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Developer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    boom! it's done  ·  Ryan Gregg responded

The new OneDrive API doesn’t have a cap on search results. You can see all the search results for a given query.

13. Auto upload .dng files

Add the possibility to auto upload .dng files from mobile phones

106 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Windows Phone  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is supported on Windows 10 Mobile. We don’t have plans to add this to Windows Mobile 8.1.

14. Link Windows libraries to OneDrive

Imagine this: You have a Windows Desktop, Surface/Notebook/Tablet and a Windows Phone. You want all files that you edit to save directly to OneDrive, so all devices contain the same data and you don't want to always decide between the Windows libraries and the OneDrive folders.

As a result, you want to link the local libraries on every device with the suiting OneDrive folder. When your saving files to your Documents Windows library, it is then syncing with OneDrive.
    This should be configured with the OneDrive client for your device. The 30 GB storage that are now available should be…

82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. If you open settings by right-clicking on the OneDrive cloud icon in your systray, you’ll see an “auto-save” tab. Currently we make it easy to default your Documents and Pictures folders to OneDrive. You can actually re-map any of the Windows known folders to point to OneDrive folders, too. Enjoy!

15. Organize photos based on the location and date/time

Provide on the Onedrive the option to organize the photos and videos based on the location and date/time, similar to the Lumia Storyteller app.

223 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Photos  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi. We just rolled this out today. Please take a look — hit photos and then check out the places tab.

16. Turn Off Image Preview on Picture Folders

Turn off the preview of pictures on picture folders on OneDrive.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    boom! it's done  ·  Angus Logan responded

Inside the folder you can right click on a photo and say “Add as cover” – that way the folder photo is anchored on that photo.

17. Improve sync/upload/download speeds using the desktop client

I don't know what's the reason, but the integrated onedrive syncing in Windows 8.1 is terribly slow for me. For both uploading and downloading files, on multiples devices and on many different networks.

It feels like it's an issue with the desktop syncing, because through the web app I get way higher speeds.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    174 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    boom! it's done  ·  Angus Logan responded

Yesterday we announced increased Sync client performance https://blog.onedrive.com/onedrive-now-supports-10-gb-files/

“As part of our push to continue improving the OneDrive desktop experience, we’ve increased the number of files that can be downloaded or uploaded at a given time on PCs and Macs. In internal tests, this parallel syncing netted an approximately threefold increase in syncing speed. Our performance enhancements have begun rolling out and will be available worldwide in the coming weeks.”

I’ll flag this as completed but performance updates (similar to security are never really completed, they are always being worked on. Let me know if yo uwant this reopened.

18. Allow local accounts full use of desktop and modern apps

The desktop and modern apps on Windows 8.1 require you to log in to the computer with a Microsoft Account in order to access any functionality at all. This dramatically limits my ability to use OneDrive due to two distinct situations that affect me.

1) IT policy at my day-job company allows me to have personal content on my work machine within certain boundaries, but Group Policy prohibits logging into our machines with a Microsoft Account. This means that I can't access any consumer OneDrive content on such devices without going through the website.

2) I keep a separate Microsoft…

147 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. OneDrive Capture Tool and Quick Share Features

OneDrive Capture(Snipping) Tool
    - Similar to Snipping Tool, Snaggit, OneNote, Puush, Gyazo except automatically uploads image to a special folder on OneDrive similar to how phone pictures go to "Camera Roll", these pictures would go into a "Screenshots" folder.
    - Different keyboard shortcuts for full screen screenshot, focused window screenshot, select your area screenshot
    - Depending on the key combination, say if you hold shift during the key combination, it will determine whether a dialog will pop up asking what you want to do. For example Ctrl + 4 would give you a select-area screenshot and AUTOMATICALLY save the OneDrive…

198 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re starting to roll out our new screenshot feature. We have a dedicated screenshots folder and you can easily sync them across all your devices. The rollout will happen with updates to the sync client and we’ll ramp it up to 100% over the next couple of weeks.

Take a look at the announcement in the link below and keep the suggestions coming!

https://blog.onedrive.com/introducing-an-all-new-way-to-view-manage-and-share-your-photos-in-onedrive/

OneDrive Archive

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base