OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive Archive

This forum has been closed but you can go to https://onedrive.uservoice.com to find, submit and vote on ideas.

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service" and "your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product. You can shake your mobile app or tap the ? then select “Email OneDrive support” from the website.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Locate documents, pictures, music, video, desktop, downloads, contacts, favorites, etc user folders within user's OneDrive folder by default

Although OneDrive is automatically set up on a new Windows computer, the majority of the user’s personal files are currently saved to locations that are not backed up, e.g.

C:\Users[username]\Documents
    C:\Users[username]\Pictures
    C:\Users[username]\Music
    C:\Users[username]\Videos
    C:\Users[username]\Desktop
    C:\Users[username]\Downloads
    C:\Users[username]\Contacts
    C:\Users[username]\Favorites
    …etc.

One possible workaround currently is to:

1) Create duplicate folders in OneDrive called Documents, Videos, Desktop, Downloads, Contacts, Favorites, etc. These will look like regular empty folders without any special thumbnail designation.

2) Go find your “default” user folders (the ones with thumbnails and files inside) in C:\Users[username]

3) Right click these “default” user folders and choose “Properties” > “Location” > “Move”

1,328 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    63 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks again for the suggestion. It’s now possible to set your default Documents and Pictures folders to use OneDrive. Check the new settings by right-clicking on the cloud icon.

2. Enable long file paths (aka "File Name Too Long" problem when syncing)

As a developer, I have deeply nested file structures with sometimes arduously long file names. I am unable to use OneDrive as it stands now because of this. I would like to suggest that this limitation be removed. I understand that it's probably a fundamental infrastructure issue but it's severely hampering Onedrive when compared to other competitors out there right now, despite all the other cool features.

5,711 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1019 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve enabled significantly longer paths for your personal OneDrive in our latest Windows and Mac releases (available from http://onedrive.com/download). You should be able to use paths up to 430 characters from the root of your local OneDrive sync folder. Our telemetry tells us this covers the vast majority of customers who have hit max path issues in the past. Note that if you have over 90 characters in your local OneDrive path (that is, from drive letter to OneDrive\) you will see characters over 90 cut into the budget of 430 characters (93 character local path will mean 427 characters available for path in the OneDrive folder).

3. OneDrive Support for D750 NEF files

There is now support for viewing RAW (NEF) files from Nikon D750 (NEF files from other Nikon DSLRs works fine).

492 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    67 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow folders to be shared/co-owned with access/sync the same for all co-owners

You can do this with competing consumer cloud storage systems. OneDrive should offer that functionality as well.

Users would be able to add shared folders to their own OneDrive, syncing the folders on their computer like any other OneDrive folders.

5,926 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    612 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all -
    I’m excited to let you know that we’ve begun rolling out Shared Folder sync on OneDrive. We can’t wait for you to start using it!

How does it work? We have a new action on OneDrive, called “Add to my OneDrive.” Whenever you are using OneDrive on the web, or through the mobile app, you’ll see this when you are browsing content that others have shared with you. Clicking “Add to my OneDrive” will add that folder to your OneDrive. From then on, whenever you browse your OneDrive, you’ll be able to see any of the shared folders you’ve added. And on the sync client, when you select what folders to sync, you’ll see all the shared folders you’ve added. Select the shared folder(s) you want and they’ll immediately begin syncing to your PC or Mac.

We’re rolling this out which takes some time, and…

5. Fix OneDrive sync "processing changes" problem with Windows 10

Installed Windows 10. Since then, I've had non-stop problems with OneDrive. I rely on OneDrive to a great extent. I've spent the past five days troubleshooting and almost fixed it by right clicking on the OneDrive folder, Properties, Security, Advanced, then checking "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object" and clicking OK. However, whenever I reboot, I lose Permissions again and OneDrive stops syncing. Ex. After rebooting, if I click on a folder inside my OneDrive folder, I'll get a pop up saying "You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click Continue…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    87 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi folks – we believe we fixed in this in a recent update (working around an ACL issue present in Windows). If you still run into problems, the best action to take is connect with our engineers via our support mechanism. You can click on the cog in the upper right on the website and choose Feedback→Report a problem. Thank you!

6. SYNC SPEED IMPROVEMENT - Desktop Sync Speed Makes Syncing Impractical

There have been several posts here before marked as "Boom It's Done" or referred to support. HOWEVER -- this is not a support issue, and I suggest you treat it as a serious problem with the product.

I have 1.45Mbps download speed (tested on speedtest.net) and it has taken more than a week to sync 2.4GiB of my files. According to a download speed calculator, this should take only ~ 4 hours. I have set my computer not to sleep to make sure the synchronization happens.

Please see some of the older posts that have been closed -- this is…

811 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    86 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    boom! it's done  ·  Angus Logan responded

We are always working on improving performance but we are really excited to share that we just turned on a major performance improvement in sync upload. The upload improvements apply to sync if you are running OneDrive on Windows 10, Windows 7, or Mac.

7. Enable file versioning / history for all types of files (not just Office types)

I know you can recover previous versions of Microsoft Office files in OneDrive. But in Dropbox and Google Drive, you can recover previous versions of any file type (and this has been a long standing feature of these services). Please give us the ability to restore previous versions of any file type in OneDrive.

5,166 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    262 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are expanding version history support to all file types for OneDrive personal account users. As a result, customers will now be able to restore or download previous versions of all their files for up to 30 days. It will be available to everyone this summer; currently, approximately 10% of OneDrive users can see and interact with this feature.

You can read more about file versioning and how to use it on our blog: https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2017/07/19/expanding-onedrive-version-history-support-file-types

We understand how critical your data is to you. We also understand that threats are continually evolving and that our product must evolve too. This is one of several steps you will see us take in the near future to help protect you and your data.

8. Allow integrated file sharing from OneDrive folder on Mac (like Dropbox)

When on Dropbox folder, right click allows direct link share. It would be nice if OneDrive could do the same. So far, OneDrive as very limited functionalities. Thanks!

1,709 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    175 comments  ·  Mac  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Remove the limit (20,000) of files that can be stored in OneDrive for Business

There is a hard limit of 20,000 files on top of the file size limit. Please remove the # of file limit.

3,431 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    232 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Shorten link by default

When I generate a link to share a file, I'd like this link to be automatically shortened.

OneDrive's URL format is ugly. When I paste it in some places, they are not fully parsed and converted to links (just a portion of the URL is converted). Or I want to tweet it.

I think every time I use the option to generate a link, I want to copy it and paste somewhere else.
    In this case, the generated link could be shortened by default.

2,344 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    156 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi, everyone. You should be seeing shorter links by default in the sharing dialog now. Please check it out and let us know what you think.

11. Spotlight support on iOS 9

With the new Spotlight features in iOS 9, the contents of our OneDrive accounts can be potentially searched from the Spotlight search box. To do this, though, the OneDrive app should support Spotlight indexing of files stored in OneDrive.

68 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    boom! it's done  ·  2 comments  ·  iOS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. show the progress of the syncing more extensively and be able to change the sequence of files to sync next.

Syncing doesn't show details of what is to be synced and also (therefore?) doesn's allow you to change the sequence of the files to be synced. When a large (video) is in the queue you can wait a long time.

749 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    26 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We recently began rolling out our new activity center which shows the files that are sync’ing, have recently sync’d, and more. There’s more to do so please create individual requests for features you’d like to see in upcoming releases.

13. .PST File Blocking

.PST file should not be allowed on OD4B. Must be blocked by default. It is an issue for large enterprise.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. OneDrive Activity Log

Just as it's implemented in Google Drive - would like to be able to view an activity feed which shows
    - Recent file updates
    - Recent items shared by/with you
    - Recent creation/deletion of Folders
    etc.

946 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    49 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We recently began rolling out our new activity center which shows the files that are sync’ing, have recently sync’d, and more. There’s more to do so please create individual requests for features you’d like to see in upcoming releases.

15. Option to limit sync speed

I have a slower internet connection. If I don't rate limit my uploads, I can barely use my internet connection until it is fully uploaded. Dropbox gives an option to limit how fast I can upload and download files. I would love OneDrive to include this feature as well.

[Update by Angus Logan: merged PC and Mac suggestion on same topic]

1,902 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    188 comments  ·  Mac  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. include option select all folders or files

include option select all folders or files, for move or delete.

99 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    24 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can select all files by clicking “ctrl-a” and then you can take whatever action you’d like. Pro-tip a shortcut for seeing all of the shortcuts is to type a “?” to bring up the shortcuts dialog. Hope that helps!

17. Select all

Select all (pictures or videos ect.)

101 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks again for the suggestion. You can now press-and-hold on an item and drag to select large numbers of files. Check it out!

18. allow saving to shared folders in iOS App

When saving to the OneDrive app in iOS (using the Open in... feature), it would be great to be able to save to a shared folder. As of now, you can't do that. If a team is working on a series of documents, they still can't share with each other easily. They have to each create a folder shared with others and then everyone on the team has to check every folder. If there was a shared folder for the whole team with edit permissions, it would be great for them all to be able to save to that folder.…

436 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  iOS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow files of any size to be uploaded and synced

As much as I appreciate the hard work of the Onedrive team for removing the 2GB file size limit and pushing the limit to 10GB, I was really hoping for an unlimited file size when syncing from the desktop or other localized app. I might be an edge case, but I use a competitor to sync VHD's (Virtual Hard Drives) that I use for various purposes and those are far larger than 10GB.

1,541 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    88 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Remove (Hide) Files from "Shared with Me" view

Allow removing/hiding files and folders from the OneDrive for Business "Shared with Me" view.

Some shared files and folders are unwanted or obsolete , so it should be possible to remove/hide those.

871 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    163 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

OneDrive Archive

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base