OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive Archive

This forum has been closed but you can go to https://onedrive.uservoice.com to find, submit and vote on ideas.

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service" and "your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product. You can shake your mobile app or tap the ? then select “Email OneDrive support” from the website.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. zip or unzip features

please give features like windows explorer like unzip or zip files or folder

Thanks

82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    53 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Douglas Pearce responded

Appreciate the suggestion but want to be transparent that this isn’t something we’re likely to get to in the near future.

2. Check In/Check Out by "OneDrive for Business" client.

I want to checking in/out the file in OneDrive for Business client.
    OneDrive for Business client mean Windows Explorer OneDrive for Business folder.

116 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    35 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that this isn’t something we’re likely to add to OneDrive in the near future. SharePoint does have this functionality today and we’d recommend using a Team Site for this scenario. The sync client handles treats documents that have been checked out from a Document Library as read only.

3. symlink

Dear OneDrive, I really need you to support symlinks on Mac!

124 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Mac  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This can create some very problematic scenarios with sync. Not something we are likely to get to in the near future.

4. Add photo ratings (stars) to metadata and sorting

Now that you've made photos front and center, it would be great to be able to find your favorites, make an item a favorite.

With the focus on photos, and the auto tagging, imagine searching for my favorite beach pictures, and BOOM! It's done.

174 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    20 comments  ·  Photos  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that we’re not likely to get to this in the near future.

5. Allow OneDrive folder to be on a Storage Space (ReFS File System)

With OneDrive storage allowances greatly increasing, I would like to be able to move my local OneDrive folder into my Storage Space. My primary hard drive is an SSD with limited space. Currently, OneDrive folders are limited to NTFS formatted drives/partitions.

353 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    51 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Remove 20,000 files limit for normal onedrive as well

file and folder limit of onedrive should be expand dramatically or completly removed, so one can use it to backup things large in volume not size. Like Photos libraries where I have already 20+ thousand photos so I canot back them up there

158 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    30 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey, it sounds like you’ve hit a bug — OneDrive doesn’t have a limit on the number of photos you can store. If you’re seeing this limit, can you submit a problem report through the website and we’ll take a look?

7. A "select all" menu option when select mode is on (WP8.1)

Sometimes I'd like to select a lot of items at once to apply an operation like move or download to multiple items. This takes a lot of time, so a function added to the menu that says "Select All" to highlight all items in the folder would be useful.
    It could show up when select mode is active.

103 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Windows Phone  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just want to be transparent that we aren’t likely to get to this in the near future.

8. Allow multiple OneDrive accounts integrated into Windows Explorer

Currently, even if you integrated multiple OneDrive accounts, only the one in which you are logged on is integrated into Windows Explorer. Allowing to use as many OneDrive accounts you have integrated into Windows Explore would make OneDrive even more relevant.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    250 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Omar Shahine responded

Understand the request, but we have no plans to support multiple OneDrive personal accounts per OS user account.

9. Allow PDF files to open in a PDF handler rather than Word Online

Word online can't handle password protected PDF files, so my only choice is to download PDF files then open them seperately. Every other PDF link on the web simply spawns the user's installed PDF handler - can't OneDrive do the same?

Right now it pushes it to Word Online where I get an irritatating error message saying it can't handle the file format.

109 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    16 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that we aren’t going to get to this in the near future.

10. Sync scheduler

Add a scheduler for downloads/uploads. It would be nice if we could keep for example a computer running but configure that the synchronization should only happen between a specific timeframe (e.g. between midnight and 8AM). The reasoning behind this is that a lot of internet providers with a fair use policy and when you download/upload large quantities of data during off-peak hours they only count for 50% or even 20%, so every 1MB that you download/upload only counts for 0.5MB or even 0.2MB.

138 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    33 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. If you’re trying to optimize for “initial sync” when deploying to your company, we have a group policy for throttling to help minimize impact on your network. We also have a pause feature that an end user can take advantage of.

Once you’re fully up in running, we need to make sure we always deliver on the promise of sync which is that your changes will be reflected everywhere. This is critical to avoid painful conflicts and confusion about why updates aren’t reflected in documents.

We don’t have the ability to take time of day into consideration on throttling yet, but that could be a really interesting feature that helps you manage this.

11. Password Protection while Access of Onedrive Folder within File Explorer in Windows 8.1

It will be helpful if password protection introduced while accessing Onedrive folder from File Explorer in Windows 8.1. So if we want to access Onedrive folder we must enter Password to Access it every time

129 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    93 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Angus Logan responded

Hi, we treat the OneDRive folder like a folder on your file system – so there isn’t a way for us to separately put a password on that folder.

12. Mark files as can not be deleted

Currently, when I delete a OneDrive file on a client (phone/tablet/laptop), the file gets deleted on OneDrive and on all other clients. This is the right thing for many situations.

HOWEVER, there are some situations where I want to ensure files are not deleted. Examples are using OneDrive for backups or archiving (e.g. photos/videos).

It would be great to be able to mark files as can not be deleted.

109 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    38 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. This isn’t something we are likely to get to in the near future.

13. Roku app

Roku is the #1 streaming media hardware in the U.S. If we could get an app to show our family our photo albums and videos, we could expose lots of family to the great service that is OneDrive.

109 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that we are unlikely to get to this in the near future.

14. 185 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    57 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow changing file extensions when renaming files

As a power user, I love being able to see and change file extensions on the fly in case I'm working in different formats, or want to see my text highlighted with different syntax. In fact, every time I setup a new computer, one of the first options I setup is showing file extensions so that I can do so. I'd love to be able to see such an option when renaming files on OneDrive.com.

108 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    19 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We don’t think we’ll get to this soon, but it’s something you can do from file explorer.

16. Give OneDrive users 50gb of free storage...

Give users 50gb of free storage which will keep up with the popularity of MEGAsync, which give users a free 50gb upon sign-up. This will encourage users to sign up for OneDrive also, instead of only MEGA. In turn, Microsoft is showing it isn't afraid to not only set the standard, but along with MEGA, create the standard. This will know Dropbox, and Goggle Drive down a notch.

86 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    19 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. IOS: Save Videos and Photos to Camera Roll From One Drive App

It would be awesome if you could save One drive video and photo files to your camera roll in IOS. This would be a huge help with my video editing process.

95 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  iOS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. If you just want this for specific photos or videos, you could download them individually. If you were hoping for it to happen automatically, then unfortunately this isn’t something we can do on iOS.

18. Change theme of OneDrive.com

Just like Outlook.com...would give us more customizability...

104 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Backup iPhone and iPad to onedrive

Can you please make an option so I can back up my iPhone and iPad to onedrive so I no longer have to use iCloud.

101 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  iOS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Aside from photos which you can upload to OneDrive, this isn’t something Apple makes available to developers at this time.

20. Allow users to select any custom folder without /onedrive/ in path

I would love to see the option of being able to point the OneDrive desktop application to any folder I choose WITHOUT it adding the /onedrive/ folder to the path.

Ie: If I set onedrive to C:/PersonalFiles/, it will automatically create C:/PersonalFiles/OneDrive/. This forces me to put everything I want to backup in that folder. So instead of OneDrive working with me in the way I want to use it, it annoys me with another subfolder I dont want.

This is also a problem when combining onedrive with other applications where I might not have the option of redirecting that…

159 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that we aren’t likely to get to this in the near future. We do support changing the root location of your OneDrive if that helps.

OneDrive Archive

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base