OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive Archive

This forum has been closed but you can go to https://onedrive.uservoice.com to find, submit and vote on ideas.

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service" and "your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product. You can shake your mobile app or tap the ? then select “Email OneDrive support” from the website.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Revert the pivot menu UI for WP

The WP update v4.4 (27/10/14) has brought with it a new UI and menu system that is totally at odds with the Metro design language. The Android-style menu goes completely against the grain of the simple, elegant and clean pivot menu that it replaced. Please revert it back.

The addition of the big blue bar across the top is distracting. The mini icons, hamburger and oddly placed search have together created a less fluid design, that lacks cohesion. Please bring back the proper pivot menu.

976 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    75 comments  ·  Windows Phone  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    boom! it's done  ·  Omar Shahine responded

Our new update is live in the Windows Phone Store. Hope you all think this is an improvement. Thanks for the feedback and pushing us to ensure the design meets your expectations. If you have feedback feel free to use the new in app feedback in the more menu (…)

2. Allow OneDrive for Business to synchronise with SharePoint document libraries other than your own private doc library

OneDrive for Business on Android (and probably iOS too) will synchronise with your own private document library hosted on SharePoint, however it does not provide the ability to synchronise with other SharePoint document libraries. If you are looking to do away with a server for small business and use Office365 (ideally SharePoint) then you must be able to provide this capability for Android tablets. It works for Windows based tablets/laptops but not Android (and probably iOS).

112 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make it possible to choose folders to sync in the photos backup feature for Android

There should be a way of choosing what photo folder will or will not be synced by the Photos Backup OneDrive feature. All my screenshots are being synced even though they are in a separate folder from the actual camera folder, and all my photos taken using third-party apps that are saved in other locations are not being synced at all.

236 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    24 comments  ·  Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 1,314 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    182 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Offline access on iOS

I would like to be able to view my most important documents offline on my iPhone/iPad, so doesn't have to download it every time from OneDrive App.

1,231 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    100 comments  ·  iOS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Choose which folder will be included or excluded in All Photos view.

When I go to all photos view, I see my screenshots i save to one drive as well as wallpapers. However I want to be only seeing my personal photos.

I also work on graphic files and I don't want them to show up.

137 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Photos  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you click the cog in the photos view, you can change the view to point at your Pictures folder instead of your entire OneDrive. Hopefully that addresses your scenario. If not, can you open a new item that is more specific? Thanks!

7. Allow OneDrive to sync to removable media on Windows

I store many files on OneDrive so I can access them on multiple devices. Many slates/tablets don't have a lot of storage, but do allow for SD cards. Syncing to an SD card would allow me more storage to have files available off line.

I'd want this option even if it required the SD card could no longer be removed (I don't take it out as it is), or if OneDrive became "unavailable" if the card was removed.

850 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    107 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add Media Player in OneDrive web portal

Add Media Player in OneDrive online web portal. So that the user could be able play music any where by just signing in to the outlook account and with a single click on an audio file.

120 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Offline access on Android

I would like to keep some files of my choice cached on my devices.

671 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    66 comments  ·  Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. please fix the OneDrive .pdf viewing problem

If we share a .pdf file with someone in OneDrive, when they click on the shared link the file opens in Word Online, and the file looks horrible when viewed in this manner, especially if the file contains graphics and/or nonstandard fonts.

Please fix .pdf viewing in Word Online or allow the .pdf file to be opened in Acrobat instead of Word Online.

A third choice might be to allow file sharing in a "Download Only" mode instead of opening in Word Online. In simple terms, you click on the file and I prompts you to download or open the…

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    24 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We changed to use the native browser PDF support and will continue investing to make this look good. Try it again and let us know if you think it’s better or if there’s more you’d like to see.

11. New Mac sync client - you do not see the "green check marks" or otherwise see a visual that your files are synced.

Please add in some kind of visual indicator (green check marks) that the files are synced. One the Windows clients you have the visual which really helps.

62 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    33 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Our new release of the OneDrive Mac sync client now supports green check marks on files! You can enable this via the Extension in System Preferences when you get the latest update from the Mac App Store. This works whether you are syncing your personal OneDrive, or OneDrive for Business.

12. Fix background saving of camera roll

The background saving of camera roll does not work correctly. It pretends to work in background and to save all images in camera roll into the dedicated OneDrive folder (own images). Initiative should be a change of networks (place). All options chosen.
    Indeed this feature does not work. I have to open the OneDrive App and manually start the saving of the images in camera roll.
    Tested and proofed on :
    iPhone 5s, Iphone 6, Iphone 6s, iOS 7 and 8.

105 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  iOS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have a number of improvements to background sync in the latest iOS release. Please try it out and send us in-product feedback if you have any problems — just shake your phone while in the app and we’ll take a look.

13. Display full file names within the iOS oneDrive app

Currently, there is no way when using the onedrive app on iOS to display the full file name of all your files. This is very challenging, especially when you have multiple files that start the same way, say with a common date code etc. At the very least, we should be able to allow file names to wrap text.

139 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  iOS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We support this in the iOS app now. Just select a file (or press and hold) and then click “details” under the ellipsis. If that doesn’t help your scenario, please open another item with more details. Thanks!

14. Make photos a priority

i know onedrive is posed as a storage only solution
    but it would be really cool to take google's and dropbox approach and make photos a priority

by either a seperate app (that use's the same onedrive account) or an update to the exciting, features like auto face recognition, auto enhance, video transcoding (for mobile viewing), full tags support and most importantly a native way to browse through the faces/albums/tags/dates/locations/memories

231 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    21 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. "Shared With Me" folder visible on Ipad app

I can see the "Shared With Me" folder on the android OneDrive for Business App but not on the iPad app.

Until this is in place, One Drive is a distinct second place to Google Drive for sharing documents in an organisation (in my case a school).

And please nobody mention Sharepoint, far to confusing and complex for a small organisation to use!

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  iOS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Dark mode on Mac

Since OSX Yosemite, they introduced a dark mode for menu bar. Problem is OneDrive icon does is not visible probably because the menu bar and the icon has the same color. Anyways, adding a quick white OneDrive icon will solve this easily.

121 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    20 comments  ·  Mac  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Reduce power usage in the mac app

Using the activity monitor I noticed the OneDrive application sitting in the background was using about 5x the amount of power as the Dropbox app. During the period I measured it there was no activity to my content in OneDrive and some updates to Dropbox (a series of deletes came in but were not executed locally).

During this same time I was using Microsoft Word to write a document. I found Word, while I was actively using it, only used about 2x the power as OneDrive.

It would be useful to lower the amount of power used. If this is…

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Mac  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Enable uploading of folders via OneDrive.com

Allow to upload whole folders for OneDrive on the web. It should be possible to upload folders by drag and drop from the desktop to the browser window.

90 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    40 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. iOS 8 Storage Provider Extension/Document Picker Support

I'd love to see (and really need it) the Storage Provider Extension, and secondarily Document Picker support within the OneDrive app. Being able to access and edit files from OneDrive without having to leave the app I'm working in is a critical part of me making the switch to OneDrive.

I was really disappointed to see the update come for iOS 8 today (Oct 8) without at least the storage provider extension. I've been wanting to completely switch over to OneDrive (from Box), but really can't do it until these basic features are supported. The other major players (Box, Dropbox,…

91 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  iOS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    boom! it's done  ·  Casey Penk responded

Great suggestion! We know this is important for our iOS users. We’re happy to let you know that we released this feature earlier in the month. Give it a try and let us know if there’s anything we can improve. Thanks for using OneDrive. :)

20. Add the option to hide upper directory structure/public files when sharing on OneDrive.com

I recently switched over to using OneDrive instead of Dropbox as my method of sharing files with clients, and so far, things are mostly good. There's just one issue I've come across so far though - when I share a folder with a client, it exposes the entire directory structure of my OneDrive to them, and possibly lets them see other "public" shared files that I'd rather not have them access.

For example, I've got the default "Public" folder in my OneDrive, and I occasionally use that folder to post goofy things to Twitter or share images or videos with…

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    31 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

OneDrive Archive

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base