OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive Archive

This forum has been closed but you can go to https://onedrive.uservoice.com to find, submit and vote on ideas.

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service" and "your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product. You can shake your mobile app or tap the ? then select “Email OneDrive support” from the website.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add option to sort photos/videos by date taken

Add option to sort files by date taken in addition to the current sort options (i.e. date created, date modified, etc.)

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    33 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    boom! it's done  ·  Omar Shahine responded

Date created in OneDrive is Date taken for a photo. We just don’t have a separate Date taken sort field. Our default is that we sort by Date taken (which we call Date create)

2. Option to backup photos only while charging

In the settings in Google photos, there is an option to only backup photos when the device is charging (additional to the option to only backup over wifi).

I would love to have this option in the OneDrive app (not just on Android, but in any OneDrive mobile app), because I don't want to waste battery life backing up photos.

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    16 comments  ·  Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    boom! it's done  ·  Casey Penk responded

We know this is an important option for our users. I’m happy to let you know that we just shipped this feature on Android yesterday! Thanks for using OneDrive :)

PS – the update is available to 10% of our users (randomly selected) today, and we expect it to reach everyone by early next week.

3. OCR a every file upload and provide OCR search on mobile apps

OCR every file uploaded, then integrate OCR search in mobile apps. This make this king of paperless storage!!!

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  iOS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. iOS 11 Files Integration

Integration with iOS 11 Files is very poor. OneDrive appears as a rudimentary pop-up within Files instead of being integrated the way iCloud Drive is. Please make OneDrive behave exactly like iCloud Drive does within the Files app.

1,418 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    99 comments  ·  iOS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. IOS 11 DRAG AND DROP

Please make it so I can use the Apple files app on iOS 11 so I can drag and drop files and pics from one drive to files app.i want to open the Apple files app and click on onedrive without it opening another sub app. I want to move files everywhere like use my fingers to drag a pic from Onedrive drive to a iMessage or a email in the slide over app... I amluke and would love if u guys could add this so I can move files easier and faster please and a lot of my friends…

504 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    29 comments  ·  iOS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. shared by me

Could you add a menu "Shared by me" (similar as "Shared with me") in OneDrive web interface on the left side menu?

More about the user need: on OneDrive, files and folder are shared "only you" by default but you can share files/folders hidden in folders or sub-folders which stay unshared. Over time it becomes very hard to see what you shared, thus having this page view of all files/folders "shared by me" would be very convenient for users...

388 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Organize files in a single column so we can see the FULL NAME of long files

I have looked through the forum and this question was asked FOUR YEARS ago with still no fix as of July 2017.

I have many files with very long, similar names and I need to be able to see the entire name of each one. The iOS app has the files organized life to right with truncated file names and there is no way to view them without leaving the current view to open each individual file.

This can be fixed by either:
    1) organizing files in a single vertical column like on PC
    2) create a way of viewing…

136 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  iOS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Fillable PDF Forms

Please re-enable the filling in of PDF forms on the OneDrive app itself. As of now, I understand that PDF files become marked as read-only once they are put in OneDrive.

It would be much more convenient if PDFs could be filled in from the OneDrive app itself.

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    boom! it's done  ·  1 comment  ·  iOS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. OneDrive For Business Context Menu Sharing / Copy Link

As already several times mentioned we (the customers) need the ability to share / copy a link to a folder or file within the context menu (right click on the folder or file).

This is an attempt to summarize the others ideas and get this idea upvoted, so Microsoft actually implements our wish.

Also mentioned in this idea: https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/11356212-give-us-onedrive-for-business-context-menu-options we are in desperate need of this and with this idea "splitted up" for only sharing / copy link.

Below and idea of the context menu from myself / Implementation in the ribbon of Windows Explorer also good idea:

240 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We recently completed the rollout of the new sharing experience on Windows and Mac. Please make sure you’re running the OneDrive sync client and then open the context menu on a file or folder in OneDrive. You’ll see a new Share command there!

10. More and detailed Description of Next Generation Snyc client

More and detailed Description of Next Generation Snyc client
    f.e. Distribution (update) of the client, mechanism of the client, Group policies, handling ...

154 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. The deployment documentation is available below and it has links to many other documents including how to manage group policy.

If there are specific additional documents you’d like to request, please create an new item for each of those and we’re happy to look into it.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Deploying-the-new-OneDrive-sync-client-in-an-enterprise-environment-3f3a511c-30c6-404a-98bf-76f95c519668?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&fromAR=1

11. Making user-individual external sharing settings in OneDrive for Business

I would want for you to make it possible to externally share contents on an individual user level when external sharing is disabled on the tenant level in OneDrive for Business.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. SharePoint: Sync selected subfolders of shared folder

I want sync only selected subfolders for shared or public folder.

E.g. currently I can sync only whole tree shared by someone
    \SharePoint\User filder\Shared with Everyone\

I want to sync only part of the tree - \SharePoint\User filder\Shared with Everyone\A\B\C

82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Remove the "OneDrive - Personal" from Explorer when not enabled.

When we enable OneDrive for Buisness, the user also see a "OneDrive - Personal" folder in explorer, and when the user click on it, it will open the OneDrive for buisness folder?

115 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Folder Sharing

Share folder like file "Get Link" for external users without external users being required to sign in . Since there is no such a future I am gonna have to use Dropbox, I wish I could of use onedrive since I am already paying office 365 tons of money!

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Shared folder sync on Mac

I am missing this , my collegues who use windows can use onedrive like a dropbox to share files but as a Mac user I have to use the browser to view update etc.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Mac  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Make it so my one drive is actually protected!

I recently lost 3 years of work docs. I use my one drive for everything. and recently my laptop got ransomware. within minutes every file on my one drive had been encrypted. As a result ever device I have synced with it lost those files. My suggestion is to create a protection that would recognize when every file is being encrypted and stop it. or at least warn the party before it allows it to sync on other devices. You advertise that my files are protected, It seems thought that protecting them from this sort of situation would be most…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Make it ease to copy files from OneDrive for Business to Group's documents folder

When using OneDrive for Business in Office 365, it's easy to copy/move files to another folder within OneDrive using the web interface. Using the web interface it's impossible to copy/move files from the user's OD4B to an Office 365 Group documents folder directly. To copy or move a file from the OD4B to a group's document folder, you have to download the file from OD4B and upload it to the group's document folder, or sync the OD4B and the group's document folder and move/copy the file locally.

My suggestion is to add the option to the web interface for the…

120 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is now fully in production. Please make sure you have the latest user experience turned on and take a look!

18. Allow syncing of Groups

The file-sharing and collaboration aspect of OneDrive has to be priority #1.
    Without the ability to sync TeamSites the product is pretty much useless to most customers (I don't count ODfB cause it'
    s broken).

It seems we will have to wait for that functionality for quite some time.
    So how about allowing us to sync Groups?

I am willing to migrate all my current document libraries to groups if you provide the functionality to sync them with the new OneDrive client.

149 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Fix special characters in company name bug on mac

If you have a special character in your company name - for example / - the mac client is unable to use the folder you have chosen.

A/S is the primary company type in Denmark, and names should include this notation. Because of this, the problem is widespread in Denmark.

I guess there are more special characters that are not being handled on the mac as well.

Read about the problem here:
    https://community.office365.com/en-us/f/153/p/432751/1095582

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Pin files/folders to Windows 10 Mobile startscreen

Re-enable the option to pin files or folders to the startscreen. First files was removed and in the latest version it became impossible to pin Folders to the Windows 10 Mobile startscreen. This was possible. Pinning is THE distinguishing and superhandy feature of Windows Phone/10 Mobile. Why is this gone????!!!!!!

259 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Windows Phone  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

OneDrive Archive

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base