OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive Archive

This forum has been closed but you can go to https://onedrive.uservoice.com to find, submit and vote on ideas.

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service" and "your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product. You can shake your mobile app or tap the ? then select “Email OneDrive support” from the website.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable FLAC Music Streaming from OneDrive

Many users today have FLAC music libraries. FLAC (free lossless audio codec) is a free, open-source, CD-quality file format which is in many ways superior to MP3. Unfortunately, you're currently unable to stream FLAC music from OneDrive through Groove Music.

Personally speaking, all but a few of my songs stored in OneDrive are FLAC format. Unfortunately, Groove music doesn't recognize these songs unless they are saved to my device locally. Therefore my Groove music library on my Lumia 950XL is empty, aside from the few songs in OneDrive I have saved as MP3s. Even if you search for a song…

3,183 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    87 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We understand the request, but don’t have any plans to support FLAC file playback at this time. We have continued to invest in better video and audio playback experiences across the OneDrive apps for the most common media file types.

2. Please make an app for the new Apple TV

Please create an app for the new Apple TV on the tvOS system.

1,068 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    162 comments  ·  iOS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow renaming root folder (OneDrive folder)

Currently renaming of Root folder ( OneDrive ) is not allowed. ( At least I am not aware of how to do it).

This feature enables me in hiding the fact that this folder is cloud based ( backed up in cloud ). This is particularly helpful in office enviornment where lot of orgnizations don't want employees to upload data to any cloud based websites.

253 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    203 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Douglas Pearce responded

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent, this is not something we are likely to get to in the new future.

4. Exclude folders inside OneDrive Folder from synching.

Right now if you choose a folder inside Onedrive Folder to unsync that folder gets deleted from my PC. But I want that folder to remain in Onedrive Folder on my PC and not be syncing.

118 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    18 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that this is not something we’re likely to get to in the near future. If it just need to turn of sync temporarily, we now have pause available although this will apply to all folders.

5. to allow people without microsoft account to share files on a shared Onedrive folder

Hello, I would like to know if it's possible somehow to share files to a shared OneDrive frolder without having a Microsoft account:
    i.e. I share a folder with some friends who don't have a microsoft account, they can download the files without any problema and I have granted them edition permissions, but if they want to upload files to the folder they are redirected to a Microsoft account login webpage,so:

Is there a way of sharing files to a shared OneDrive folder without a Microsoft account?

Thanks

101 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    54 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that we aren’t likely to get to this in the near future.

6. Bring back the ability to Show Ribbon in new Onedrive layout

The new release of Onedrive has taken the Show Ribbon option, which allows for opening in IE. We need that back.

170 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    31 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. We made a decision to simplify the user experience based on user feedback and want to be transparent that we’re not planning to bring the ribbon UX back to OneDrive.

7. Allow installation on case-sensitive file systems, especially on Case-sensitive Journaled HFS+

It should be possible to use any valid MacOS drive to store OneDrive synchronization folder. I know, this may cause issues with distinguishing files and folders having equal names regardless chars' cases. But it may be solved by application settings (e.g., if a new file or folder having a name different in symbol cases is created, then it may be not synchronized and shown in special 'attention required' list; and then user can decide, whether he/she would like to merge these folders, delete or rename). Users may accept some compromises to make coming from Windows case-insensitive files system background, but…

160 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    32 comments  ·  Mac  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that we’re unlikely to get to this in the near future.

8. Remove the check marks for synced files

Remove the check mark for synced files. It should be blank when synced, not a check mark like in this photo. This is from Windows 10, the looks of synced files like windows 8 (without the check marks) is what I want.

120 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    139 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that we’re unlikely to change the model in the near future.

9. iOS Camera Roll Backup Bug

Not all of my images/videos in my camera roll are successfully backed up in OneDrive for iOS even though I have the Camera Roll Backup feature turned on and the status says "up to date".

I ended up having to copy all the images off my iPhone to a PC and do a folder diff with my OneDrive CameraRoll folder. What I found was occasional photos taken between Aug 2014 an Jan 2015 were not present in my OneDrive Camera Roll.

Before manually finding the differences, I was able to visually spot some missing photos in the OneDrive app. I…

362 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    152 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi, folks. We know about this issue and are working on it. The best way for us to help you is to have you send feedback (and logs) directly from the app. You can shake your phone or send the bug report through Settings / Help & Feedback.

10. Use a file to ignore / exclude files or folder

Add functionality similar to a gitIgnore file or nomedia files. Allow a user to add a .ignore file to exclude local files or folders from being synced.

Example: I have NodeJS projects on my OneDrive but get sync errors because the file path is too long. The long paths are primarily extra modules that do not need to be synced. It would be nice to be able to exclude certain folders or files.

170 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    292 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Angus Logan responded

Hi, for this scenario we’d recommend putting the files outside of the OneDrive folder. The design is that all files in the OneDrive folder will be sync’d and files outside the folder will not be sync’d.

11. Create a Linux OneDrive client

It would be good to have an official OneDrive client that would allow us to sync files to Linux based machines in the same way as is possible for Windows/OS X.

114 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    214 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Remove the need for Office Upload Center if you are using OneDrive

As an O365 Home subscriber, I use my unlimited OneDrive storage to store my files. These include my pictures, videos, music and documents. On my Surface Pro 3, I have O365 Home installed which also includes the Office Upload Center.

To me, it seems redundant to have the OneDrive Sync functionality AND the O365 Upload Center available. In fact, the Upload Center stores an additional copy of my office files (under AppData) even when those files are stored within my OneDrive directory (and locally available). This seems like a waist of storage space (11 GB in my case) and periodically…

155 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    79 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The Office integration support in OneDrive connects your document to the OneDrive service, allowing for you to automatically co-author when opening files locally, share from the backstage, and more.

You can choose to turn this off. On Windows 8.1, you must uninstall the Microsoft OneDrive app from the Add/Remove Programs. On Windows 7 or 10, you can right-click on the systray icon, access the Settings menu and uncheck the Office integration checkbox. This will prevent the Office Upload Center from being involved in your uploads.

13. Add FTP server to OneDrive in the Cloud

I have a wildlife camera that saves pictures to any remote ftp server.

I get almost no advantage from having Onedrive bundled with things, it seems to be of very little use. If my camera could FTP things into it then the pictures would be available on my PC or my tablet as soon as I logged in

There are many devices with built in FTP clients, and this would be real product differentiation. None of the competing cloud services offer FTP

202 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    117 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add photo editor

Add photo editor to the drive. It would greatly enhance the experience, especially since most people want to tweak a photo before sharing.

This is getting to be pretty standard and it comes across to me as a weakness of one drive, especially since I really am trying to get away from google drive, which is integrated with picasa.

180 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    19 comments  ·  Photos  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

On Windows 10, OneDrive is built right into the Photos app which offers rich editing features for all your OneDrive photos. On the web and on mobile, we are working to make it easier to use the editor of your choice.

15. Allow sorting of photos within Albums

I like the various sort order options within OneDrive folders (name, date modified, date created, size, custom). At the time of their introduction (Jan 2015), OneDrive albums do not seem to have these options. Please add them.

I would say the ability to create custom sort orders is particularly important for photo albums (even more than for folders).

139 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    95 comments  ·  Photos  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. This isn’t something we’re likely to get to in the near term.

16. It would be great to be able to edit mp3 tags online

With increased storage available on OneDrive, it now makes sense to store your whole collection on there and stream it - especially with OneDrive integration to Xbox Music now.

I've been collecting music for around 15 years, and have a huge collection. I find that when trying to match my collection to the Xbox Music albums available, sometimes its a small difference that prevents finding it, and by being able to edit mp3 metadata via onedrive.com would mean the files don't need to download each time you change something

104 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that we are unlikely to get to this in the new future.

17. Allow any folder to be synced

Currently if you want to sync files they must be saved to \users<username>\OneDrive. This is way too limiting!!! Need to be able to define any folder in any path to be a synced folder.

802 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    178 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Update 'OneDrive for Business' to sync with a network drive

OneDrive for Business currently only syncs with a directory on the C:\ drive.

In a Business environment, users have a personal drive (called H:\ drive here) where they store documents and data.

Please make OneDrive for Business sync a directory in the H:\ drive.

This is the default data drive for users - so it's where they expect to start a navigation to a file. Seriously, who (in a business environment) stores data on C:\ drive where it isn't backed up?

This also makes it easy to switch out a laptop for a new one. Nothing is on the c:\drive.

646 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    199 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion – it’s definitely a valid scenario. Being transparent we’ve got other engineering priorities right now and so won’t be able to address this in the short term. We’ll revisit this scenario once our short to mid-term feature investments are delivered.

19. allow network mapping of OneDrive for mac users (and eventual Time Machine support!)

Allowing users to mount OneDrive as a networked disk would make life immeasurably easier for users. (Similar to Expandrive http://www.expandrive.com/expandrive , but with native support). Current efforts in Finder-->Connect to Server fail on Macs.

Pie in the sky dream would be to use OneDrive as a Time Machine drive for Mac.

104 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    16 comments  ·  Mac  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Just being transparent that this isn’t something we think we’ll get to in the near future

20. Create "Get a link" for a folder

It is always difficult to find a way receive large email attachment over the allowed limit. Can OneDrive create and share a folder that can allowing external client upload files into the share folder via a guest share link. Just as easy as creating a download share link by click on "Get a link" , copy and paste into an email, allowing external client download the file without creating a Mircosoft Account.

91 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    22 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. For security reasons we only support folder uploads from users with accounts.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

OneDrive Archive

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base