OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive Archive

This forum has been closed but you can go to https://onedrive.uservoice.com to find, submit and vote on ideas.

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service" and "your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product. You can shake your mobile app or tap the ? then select “Email OneDrive support” from the website.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Check In/Check Out by "OneDrive for Business" client.

I want to checking in/out the file in OneDrive for Business client.
    OneDrive for Business client mean Windows Explorer OneDrive for Business folder.

116 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    31 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Douglas Pearce responded

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that this isn’t something we’re likely to add to OneDrive in the near future. SharePoint does have this functionality today and we’d recommend using a Team Site for this scenario. The sync client handles treats documents that have been checked out from a Document Library as read only.

2. A "select all" menu option when select mode is on (WP8.1)

Sometimes I'd like to select a lot of items at once to apply an operation like move or download to multiple items. This takes a lot of time, so a function added to the menu that says "Select All" to highlight all items in the folder would be useful.
    It could show up when select mode is active.

103 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Windows Phone  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just want to be transparent that we aren’t likely to get to this in the near future.

3. Allow to fetch/access files of my connected PC thru OneDrive App (android) the same way i can do it thru OneDrive Web

Allow to fetch/access files of my connected PC thru OneDrive App (android) the same way i can do it thru OneDrive Web and explore my folders and files of connected devices..

105 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that we are unlikely to get to this in the near future.

4. zip or unzip features

please give features like windows explorer like unzip or zip files or folder

Thanks

82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    52 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Appreciate the suggestion but want to be transparent that this isn’t something we’re likely to get to in the near future.

5. Add a dark theme to the mobile apps to save battery life and reduce eye strain

A dark theme can reduce battery life on AMOLED screens and reduce eye strain when using the phone at night in a dark envoronment

170 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Omar Shahine responded

This is an interesting idea, but not something we are going to consider in the near future. In the interest of being honest, we are declining things that aren’t on our roadmap.

6. OneDrive Photos to include photos from Facebook and other services

The OneDrive virtual photo bucket is great and has great potential to exploit in the Windows 10 Photos app.

It would be majestic if this virtual photo bucket would virtually include the user's photos on Facebook, Instagram, Microsoft Photosynth, Twitter, Flickr, Google+ and so on. For fast browsing, local thumbnails are needed. This will make the user's life story more complete and provides more sources for photos to include in Albums for sharing.

136 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Photos  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feature suggestion. Just being transparent that this is something we aren’t likely to get to in the near future.

7. Allow sorting of photos within Albums

I like the various sort order options within OneDrive folders (name, date modified, date created, size, custom). At the time of their introduction (Jan 2015), OneDrive albums do not seem to have these options. Please add them.

I would say the ability to create custom sort orders is particularly important for photo albums (even more than for folders).

139 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    95 comments  ·  Photos  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. This isn’t something we’re likely to get to in the near term.

8. Add photo ratings (stars) to metadata and sorting

Now that you've made photos front and center, it would be great to be able to find your favorites, make an item a favorite.

With the focus on photos, and the auto tagging, imagine searching for my favorite beach pictures, and BOOM! It's done.

174 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    20 comments  ·  Photos  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that we’re not likely to get to this in the near future.

9. Give free storage with Xbox Live subscription

Give gamers who choose and invest in Microsoft's gaming ecosystem the chance to gain something that is connected to all of Microsoft's products...OneDrive storage!

I don't think a ridiculous amount would be necesseary but I think it would be nice to reward the folks who pay for a yearly subscription to your gaming service. I think it would reinforce the idea that it is all connected.

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Xbox  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re not announcing additional changes to our storage plans right now but thank you for the suggestion.

10. Use a file to ignore / exclude files or folder

Add functionality similar to a gitIgnore file or nomedia files. Allow a user to add a .ignore file to exclude local files or folders from being synced.

Example: I have NodeJS projects on my OneDrive but get sync errors because the file path is too long. The long paths are primarily extra modules that do not need to be synced. It would be nice to be able to exclude certain folders or files.

170 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    299 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Angus Logan responded

Hi, for this scenario we’d recommend putting the files outside of the OneDrive folder. The design is that all files in the OneDrive folder will be sync’d and files outside the folder will not be sync’d.

11. Create a Linux OneDrive client

It would be good to have an official OneDrive client that would allow us to sync files to Linux based machines in the same way as is possible for Windows/OS X.

114 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    214 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Mount or sync onedrive in linux

I'd love to have access to onedrive from Linux (Debian). Either as a mountable volume or syncing. Especially from the command line!

131 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that this is not something we’re likely to get to in the near future.

13. Allow online-only file support for Mac OS X Finder

Possible to see all files on OneDrive, but they are not synchronize until they are moved out from the one drive folder or opened.

This will make it easier to use the space on OneDrive without filling the SSD.

143 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    26 comments  ·  Mac  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Angus Logan responded

Hi, thanks for the suggestion – for this we’d recommend using Selective Sync.

14. Allow PDF files to open in a PDF handler rather than Word Online

Word online can't handle password protected PDF files, so my only choice is to download PDF files then open them seperately. Every other PDF link on the web simply spawns the user's installed PDF handler - can't OneDrive do the same?

Right now it pushes it to Word Online where I get an irritatating error message saying it can't handle the file format.

109 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    16 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that we aren’t going to get to this in the near future.

15. Add FTP server to OneDrive in the Cloud

I have a wildlife camera that saves pictures to any remote ftp server.

I get almost no advantage from having Onedrive bundled with things, it seems to be of very little use. If my camera could FTP things into it then the pictures would be available on my PC or my tablet as soon as I logged in

There are many devices with built in FTP clients, and this would be real product differentiation. None of the competing cloud services offer FTP

202 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    117 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Client side encryption in OneDrive, via existing NTFS encryption

NTFS should be extended with an API to access files and folders in encrypted format (it already has API for the decrypted format, since decryption is automatic and transparent).

Then OneDrive could use the NTFS-encrypted raw format to upload data to cloud. This would enable client side encryption with very little investment from Microsoft with huge business advantages:
    - support for client side encryption, transparently, on FS level
    - support for upload changes only, since only the changed files are uploaded, i.e. no need for containers just to encrypt files
    - very little investment is needed

Encryption should be based…

131 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We currently support uploading and sync for encrypted files today but appreciate your suggestion on this approach.

17. Remove 20,000 files limit for normal onedrive as well

file and folder limit of onedrive should be expand dramatically or completly removed, so one can use it to backup things large in volume not size. Like Photos libraries where I have already 20+ thousand photos so I canot back them up there

158 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    30 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey, it sounds like you’ve hit a bug — OneDrive doesn’t have a limit on the number of photos you can store. If you’re seeing this limit, can you submit a problem report through the website and we’ll take a look?

18. Allow me to add files to my OneDrive account by pasting their web URLs.

Often times I come across a file on the web which I want to save a copy of, in case the original should ever go offline. This might be a podcast episode or a series of videos that someone is creating, such as Chrontendo over on Archive.org

Rather than making me download the file to my computer first and then slowly upload it through my pitiful upload bandwidth to OneDrive, why not simply allow me to give you the URL of the file I want on OneDrive and have OneDrive download it from the web to the folder of my…

123 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This isn’t something we’re likely to tackle soon, but it’s a great idea for the developer community. Perhaps a browser extension?

19. Navigate photos by time in Windows Phone

I would like the OneDrive for Windows Phone app to make it easier to find files (but especially photos) from some time in the past. Currently, you have to scroll through all the pictures, waiting for all the images to load as you scroll. That takes too much time and wastes bandwidth.

I want to be able to tap on the date grouping and be presented with some sort of time picker so that I can jump to a month in the past.

This functionality is already present in the pictures app, but is missing from OneDrive.

I recently broke…

102 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Windows Phone  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. OneDrive is integrated into the Photos app on Windows for just this reason. Please take a look.

20. Enable multiple sync folders or syncing behind junction points/symbolic links.

With theoretical "ulimited" storage now being offered, maybe its time to look over how people will be using the software to make use of this. I find it practically impossible to sync or upload the files from my local server which are housed on 5 seperate physical harddrives. Can you please implement possibility to use several onedrive sync folders, syncing behing junctions or symb. links, or a different solution to support the "unlimited" storage which you sell.

Maybe FTP would be a good easy way to start.

260 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    26 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that we aren’t likely to do this in the near term.

OneDrive Archive

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base