OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive Archive

This forum has been closed but you can go to https://onedrive.uservoice.com to find, submit and vote on ideas.

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service" and "your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product. You can shake your mobile app or tap the ? then select “Email OneDrive support” from the website.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Remove the hamburger menu in Windows Phone

The WP UI revamp is not done! We would like to see beautiful Modern/Metro style user interfaces on our Windows Phones and not stupid Android copies.

Remove the hamburger menu and do not bring it back. It is in the farthest corner of the phone from my finger and I can not reach it. Furthermore, the flyout is ugly and lags on my 930...

Do not forget the search button, the pivot view and all the missing parts.

And do not introduce more bad UI practices and concepts like these ones in the future. Stick to the pertfectly designed Metro…

283 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    31 comments  ·  Windows Phone  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Omar Shahine responded

Thanks for the feedback. At this time, this is the UI pattern we’re adopting for account management. You’ll notice that a number of other Microsoft apps are shifting to using the hamburger and our work here is consistent with that approach.

2. Fix authentication for WebDAV access

I know it will be a long time (if ever) before OneDrive supports Linux, however at least make it possible for the community at large to use it via other channels. For example we could mount OneDrive via WebDav and linux's davfs except that the windows passport authentication gets in the way because of the redirects for authentication services... If webdav could be supported with its native auth mechanisms that would make OneDrive usable for Linux users.

107 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Douglas Pearce responded

Just being transparent that this is not something we anticipate getting to in the near future

3. Sync scheduler

Add a scheduler for downloads/uploads. It would be nice if we could keep for example a computer running but configure that the synchronization should only happen between a specific timeframe (e.g. between midnight and 8AM). The reasoning behind this is that a lot of internet providers with a fair use policy and when you download/upload large quantities of data during off-peak hours they only count for 50% or even 20%, so every 1MB that you download/upload only counts for 0.5MB or even 0.2MB.

138 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    33 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. If you’re trying to optimize for “initial sync” when deploying to your company, we have a group policy for throttling to help minimize impact on your network. We also have a pause feature that an end user can take advantage of.

Once you’re fully up in running, we need to make sure we always deliver on the promise of sync which is that your changes will be reflected everywhere. This is critical to avoid painful conflicts and confusion about why updates aren’t reflected in documents.

We don’t have the ability to take time of day into consideration on throttling yet, but that could be a really interesting feature that helps you manage this.

4. Roku app

Roku is the #1 streaming media hardware in the U.S. If we could get an app to show our family our photo albums and videos, we could expose lots of family to the great service that is OneDrive.

109 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that we are unlikely to get to this in the near future.

5. Sync specific folders on the phone

Allow the user to Sync specific folders on the phone, apart from the photos and videos.

93 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent, this isn’t something we’ll get to in the near future.

6. Make null a Default Static Instance of an Object

Most of the devs are struggling to aVOID the NULL.
    Because of the NULL Reference we have a lot of unwanted errors. In some cases.
    Look at JavaScript. There is no NULL problem.

I would like this feature in C#/.Net.

If I do something like:
    class Class1
    {
    public int x = 0;
    }

Class1 c1 = null;
    c1.x = 2;

There should be NO ERROR.
    What should happen is the following: "static" Class1.x = 2. the persist or not the value.
    Basically on run time each defined object/class will create one special static instance.

This could be useful when …

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Developer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. TDD Interface-Class-TestClass dependencies.

In C#/.NET if I inherit a class from an interface and then I change the interface signature I get a compiler error.

But now we have TDD.

In TDD we create a Test Class that is testing another class (like a static class that is testing another class methods).
    But if we change/update the base class we do not get to see a TDD-Compiler Error.

The change it's transparent.
    Adding a feature in a base class WILL NOT issue an error in TDD.

Can this be done?
    Like a "interface class" for "TDD class"

[Test Class]
    class BaseClass : Class …

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Developer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add a semitransparent Partial Region to any Window.

Scenario:
    I often use Visual Studio and look at a lot of test Results in the same time.

For that I need to resize the Visual Studio Window or Alt-Tab to view the window.

That's insanely non-optimal.

So what I do is to move the test results of a Border less Window on top of the screen - underneath the top Semi-Transparent V.S. Bar.(Aero theme)

I use a thick font and different colors.
    That's better. Non Intrusive Test Results - directly on (beneath) any top-bar window.
    But that's insane too.

Better would be to be able to create & pair…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. If not "One Product" ... at least One suggested Way...

Here is my problem! Long text here.

Q: What is this "One" all of us discuss? And what is behind it?
    Is it "One = Single" Product? or any "single" independent thing?
    I struggle to understand this "ONE"...
    A: There is no "one". :) Yet. But maybe it could be "One way" ...

Windows is not just a kernel - it's a service too. It should provide necessary help to do your job - Like Cortana - when accessing some API's.
    But what Cortana can do if there is no API to use?

So here is my problem: Let's take…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Casey Penk responded

Hi Elvis, please share this on the Windows UserVoice at windows.uservoice.com.

10. Customize the location that Rooms are created.

Many things like the Rooms function in Windows Phone create directories in the root of my Onedrive folder. It would be great to be able to have all of these in a folder, or customizable directory to keep things cleaner.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Windows Phone  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Make API case sensitive

At the moment you cannot create two folders of the same name with different case.

As far as I can tell, all modern operating systems support case sensitive filesystems by default, so that isn't really an excuse.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    not right now  ·  3 comments  ·  Developer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Streaming Videos/Documents/Music/Pictures/Others

Other cloud services allow the streaming of files (video, music, documents, etc etc) from the desktop client. Bitcasa is the service I'm coming from and they had an excellent service set up to stream files (of all sorts, it even streamed documents and photoshop files). If your files are set to 'online-only', then every file you try to use will be downloaded before you can play it/view it/use it.

If you're offering unlimited storage, chances are people will be saving every family video and every family photo onto your service which means they will not have the space on their…

98 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. We do offering streaming of videos from the website. And the new Photos app in Windows 10 will let you browse your photos in OneDrive without having to download them all to your computer. But we don’t think we’ll build generalized streaming support like this in the near future.

13. Git

We all here have (I assume) use OneDrive, and some of us use Git. When I want an Git repo in the cloud, I need another service like GitHub where I need to pay if I want an personal Git repo. But I already have OneDrive space like 60Gb.

My Idea is to add some functionality to some git functionality to the online service:
    - Don't show the git folder inside an project;
    - Make it able to contribute via an button --> There is an Git folder inside an project, so OneDrive would be smart enough to only show…

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Developer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Ryan Gregg responded

This is a great suggestion, but not something we’re planning to do right now. It sounds as though there is an existing GIT plug-in that enables keeping a repo on OneDrive which can provide this functionality already.

14. Show progression bars on file icons when synchronising or uploading

Show progression bars on file icons instead of the static 'refresh' icon.

109 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow OneDrive folder to be on a Storage Space (ReFS File System)

With OneDrive storage allowances greatly increasing, I would like to be able to move my local OneDrive folder into my Storage Space. My primary hard drive is an SSD with limited space. Currently, OneDrive folders are limited to NTFS formatted drives/partitions.

353 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    51 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Host an AMA Session on Reddit Sysadmin

It would great if you could host an AMA on Reddit Sysadmin so that the community knows the direction of where OneDrive for Business is going and the issues that are acknowledged.

There are so many of us that that desperately want OneDrive to be a great product and by hosting an AMA, you can inform a large community on the direction.

102 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Angus Logan responded

Hi, we’ve done AMA’s in the past and will try to do some again in the future. For now I’ll take this out as it is not a feature request.

thanks!

17. Smart files Mac

Just as the title says, I'd love for somehow you to replicate the PC and make smart files available on the Mac so I can see my online/offline files in the Finder. Thanks!!

95 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Mac  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that this is not something we are likely to get to in the near future. We recommend using the website or selective sync on your Mac.

18. Enable mapping online folders to different local drives

Now that OneDrive supports very large storage it would be nice to be able to map different online folders to distinct local paths in the Windows/Mac clients.

141 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Integrate with History File

Windows 8/8.1 supports File History which allows you to see all previous versions of files on your folders, which is specially useful for a little in loco version control when dealing with projects that has many changing files.

But currently this feature requires another disk drive or a network drive.

Windows could automatically use OneDrive to store those files for each account, and present them to the user, downloading the previous versions as needed (similar on how OneDrive currently works on 8.1)

126 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow changing file extensions when renaming files

As a power user, I love being able to see and change file extensions on the fly in case I'm working in different formats, or want to see my text highlighted with different syntax. In fact, every time I setup a new computer, one of the first options I setup is showing file extensions so that I can do so. I'd love to be able to see such an option when renaming files on OneDrive.com.

108 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    16 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We don’t think we’ll get to this soon, but it’s something you can do from file explorer.

OneDrive Archive

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base