OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive Archive

This forum has been closed but you can go to https://onedrive.uservoice.com to find, submit and vote on ideas.

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service" and "your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product. You can shake your mobile app or tap the ? then select “Email OneDrive support” from the website.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Backup iPhone and iPad to onedrive

Can you please make an option so I can back up my iPhone and iPad to onedrive so I no longer have to use iCloud.

101 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    12 comments  ·  iOS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Douglas Pearce responded

Thanks for the suggestion. Aside from photos which you can upload to OneDrive, this isn’t something Apple makes available to developers at this time.

2. Allow users to select any custom folder without /onedrive/ in path

I would love to see the option of being able to point the OneDrive desktop application to any folder I choose WITHOUT it adding the /onedrive/ folder to the path.

Ie: If I set onedrive to C:/PersonalFiles/, it will automatically create C:/PersonalFiles/OneDrive/. This forces me to put everything I want to backup in that folder. So instead of OneDrive working with me in the way I want to use it, it annoys me with another subfolder I dont want.

This is also a problem when combining onedrive with other applications where I might not have the option of redirecting that…

159 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that we aren’t likely to get to this in the near future. We do support changing the root location of your OneDrive if that helps.

3. Make Onedrive Universal App a Windows 10 build-in app!!!

Make Onedrive Universal App a Windows 10 build-in app!!! And remove the old desktop sync client(OnedriveSetup.exe based client) from windows 10!!!

291 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    not right now  ·  5 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Please make an app for the new Apple TV

Please create an app for the new Apple TV on the tvOS system.

1,068 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    163 comments  ·  iOS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ability to save files "Online Only" to OneDrive in Windows 10 Mobile

On Windows 10 desktop, the Settings app gives you the ability to store your personal files & folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, etc.) in OneDrive. Screenshot for reference:

http://i.imgur.com/AMw4PzJ.png

Notice that some user folders are still missing, e.g. "Desktop", "Favorites", "Videos", etc. -- hopefully these are coming soon! See this suggestion (erroneously marked "completed") for more details:

https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/8083425-locate-documents-pictures-music-video-desktop

However, on Windows 10 Mobile, this option is missing entirely. There is no way to save your files "Online Only" to OneDrive. Here's a screenshot of the same exact Settings page on W10 Mobile, which only gives you the options to store your…

504 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Windows Phone  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. We are looking at ways to offload more storage to the cloud, but we aren’t likely to build a generalized solution to this in the near future. If you want to talk specifically about photos, screenshots, or recordings, you may want to split this up into separate requests.

6. Enable FLAC Music Streaming from OneDrive

Many users today have FLAC music libraries. FLAC (free lossless audio codec) is a free, open-source, CD-quality file format which is in many ways superior to MP3. Unfortunately, you're currently unable to stream FLAC music from OneDrive through Groove Music.

Personally speaking, all but a few of my songs stored in OneDrive are FLAC format. Unfortunately, Groove music doesn't recognize these songs unless they are saved to my device locally. Therefore my Groove music library on my Lumia 950XL is empty, aside from the few songs in OneDrive I have saved as MP3s. Even if you search for a song…

3,183 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    87 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We understand the request, but don’t have any plans to support FLAC file playback at this time. We have continued to invest in better video and audio playback experiences across the OneDrive apps for the most common media file types.

7. allow the user to select whether to open files in the online app version, or in the native application

When I click on an Office file in my OneDrive, the system default is to use the online / browser version of the office app (Excel, word, etc.). I would like to be able to set the default such that the file opens in the native application, not the browser version.

256 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent, we aren’t likely to get to this in the near term.

8. Exclude folders inside OneDrive Folder from synching.

Right now if you choose a folder inside Onedrive Folder to unsync that folder gets deleted from my PC. But I want that folder to remain in Onedrive Folder on my PC and not be syncing.

118 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    18 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that this is not something we’re likely to get to in the near future. If it just need to turn of sync temporarily, we now have pause available although this will apply to all folders.

9. Make it possible to ignore build artifacts

When using OneDrive as a location development projects (e.g. Visual Studio Projects, nodejs, ...) the folder contains a lot of build artifacts which shouldn't be uploaded to OneDrive. Those files can't be put outside of the OneDrive folder because the development tools expect them to be there. This causes unnecessary load and other problems (e.g. long file paths) for the local machine and the OneDrive service.

OneDrive should be configurable at the folder level to include/exclude certain files. Configuration could be done in a '.onedrive' file for example and work recursively in the folder tree (like gitignore).

The .onedrive file…

140 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We like the suggestion and the approach with the .onedrive file. But we want to be transparent that we aren’t likely to get to this in the near future.

10. Allow control of space allocation for Office365 subscribers

With the recent news of Microsoft removing unlimited storage many people including myself are upset since we paid for Office 365 under that assumption. What I would like to see is at least allow me as the main subscriber decide how to split the 5 TB my account is allowed since I can have 5 users each allowed 1 TB. This would allow me who needs more storage to take it from family members who don't need it, yet doesn't cost Microsoft anything additional.

82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    19 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re not announcing additional changes to our storage plans right now but thank you for the suggestion.

11. freenas

create a plugin for syncing to freenas

110 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent this isn’t something we’re likely to get to in the near future.

12. make it possible to copy a calendar event from one calendar to another inside Office 365.

We should be able to copy an event on one of our calendars and paste it onto another one. For example, I have a personal calendar and a calendar for my library that I created. I should be able to copy back and forth between them. Please vote for this feature!

106 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Rename the existing OneDrive for Business client before the Next Gen Sync client is released

To prevent the inevitable confusion that is soon to hit users, please make sure to rename the OneDrive for Business app/programme (currently bundled with Office) to something that isn't named after the product it will no longer have anything to do with.

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    not right now  ·  5 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. to allow people without microsoft account to share files on a shared Onedrive folder

Hello, I would like to know if it's possible somehow to share files to a shared OneDrive frolder without having a Microsoft account:
    i.e. I share a folder with some friends who don't have a microsoft account, they can download the files without any problema and I have granted them edition permissions, but if they want to upload files to the folder they are redirected to a Microsoft account login webpage,so:

Is there a way of sharing files to a shared OneDrive folder without a Microsoft account?

Thanks

101 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    56 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that we aren’t likely to get to this in the near future.

15. Allow installation on case-sensitive file systems, especially on Case-sensitive Journaled HFS+

It should be possible to use any valid MacOS drive to store OneDrive synchronization folder. I know, this may cause issues with distinguishing files and folders having equal names regardless chars' cases. But it may be solved by application settings (e.g., if a new file or folder having a name different in symbol cases is created, then it may be not synchronized and shown in special 'attention required' list; and then user can decide, whether he/she would like to merge these folders, delete or rename). Users may accept some compromises to make coming from Windows case-insensitive files system background, but…

160 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    35 comments  ·  Mac  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that we’re unlikely to get to this in the near future.

16. Bring back the ability to Show Ribbon in new Onedrive layout

The new release of Onedrive has taken the Show Ribbon option, which allows for opening in IE. We need that back.

170 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    33 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. We made a decision to simplify the user experience based on user feedback and want to be transparent that we’re not planning to bring the ribbon UX back to OneDrive.

17. Sync Start menu / Start screen across our devices to OneDrive (please read)

OneDrive used to support syncing your Start experience across your devices. It was always an option, along with syncing your wallpaper, lock screen, and other settings to OneDrive across your devices. Unfortunately, OneDrive in Windows 10 no longer supports this feature. Let's take a look at the three main problems, and see why the time has never been better for Start sync:

Difficulty #1:
    In Windows 8.1, many Windows Phone apps weren't available on PC and vice versa, which meant Start sync left "holes" where certain apps didn't exist on a given platform. However now with Windows 10, we have…

570 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    16 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Stop creating unwanted folders

Every time I start up OneDrive for the first time a new folder named 'Documents' is created. A cloud service like OneDrive is supposed to sync the files and folders that I define on the server one-to-one without creating new, unwanted folders. Now I have to delete this folder three times a day and I'm fed up with it. The same goes for the camera roll functionality, which creates a new directory structure to back up the pictures, instead of letting the user define where to store the files. Think about usability please!

402 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. We are looking separately at camera roll from folders like Documents and Pictures. If you want to split this up, we’ll prioritize them separately.

19. Allow renaming root folder (OneDrive folder)

Currently renaming of Root folder ( OneDrive ) is not allowed. ( At least I am not aware of how to do it).

This feature enables me in hiding the fact that this folder is cloud based ( backed up in cloud ). This is particularly helpful in office enviornment where lot of orgnizations don't want employees to upload data to any cloud based websites.

253 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    217 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent, this is not something we are likely to get to in the new future.

20. Please Add A Manual Sync now button on desktop icon

Please Add a Manual Sync now button when clicking the desktop icon (windows 10) I often find that the files aren't uploaded when they are saved. I don't leave my computers on overnight, this means usually after saving my work on my computer I shut it down. On windows 8.1 I normally would just click on the cloud icon and manually sync. Without that button I'm already noticing files not being updating on my other PC and I have no way to force it to update. Thank you!

125 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5

OneDrive Archive

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base