OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive Archive

This forum has been closed but you can go to https://onedrive.uservoice.com to find, submit and vote on ideas.

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service" and "your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product. You can shake your mobile app or tap the ? then select “Email OneDrive support” from the website.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow showing of file name extensions in OneDrive

I have folders with the same image in png, gif, jpg, and eps. They actually are not the same size/etc and are used for different things but they are the same and thus have similar names: (dog.jpg, dog.gif, dog.png, etc)

It is very difficult in the OneDrive web interface to deal with these files as you need to show the properties side-bar, click on one and only one file, and then look in the properties to see what type of file it really is.

This is both wasteful and very counter-intuitive.

A way to enable showing of the full file…

655 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    75 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Use OneDrive for business as home folder

I would like to store my users data in their one drive for business root folders
    C:\users\%username%\Onedrive for Business\Documents
    C:\users\%username%\Onedrive for Business\Pictures
    C:\users\%username%\Onedrive for Business\Music
    and use folder redirection with GPO to set it automatically

655 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Pause / resume button on Mac

OneDrive needs a pause button! Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. all have a way to stop syncing temporarily, like when you're on a Hotel WiFi or transit WiFi and don't really want to have OneDrive using all your bandwidth. OneDrive sync client doesn't have a pause button, which means I have to quit the app, which always seems to cause problems.

571 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    45 comments  ·  Mac  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Pause for Mac is now rolled out for all users! Whether you are using the standalone Mac sync client or get it from the Mac App Store, you can now pause your sync client when syncing content from OneDrive (personal), OneDrive (for Business), or SharePoint Online.

Thank you for the suggestion!

4. Improve sync quality for OneDrive for Business

I was asked to post my points separately so instead I'll just post the most important one.

OneDrive for Business sucks. Office Document Cache handler is the worst piece of software Microsoft currently endorses. Crashes, sync errors, etc.

Remove OneDrive for Business and replace it with the sync engine from OneDrive personal, which shock actually works. My company has ditched OneDrive for Business in favour of DropBox at great expense due to the awful, awful UX Sharepoint has. Its a shame O365 is tarnished in this way.

542 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    96 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. shared by me

In OneDrive consumer there is a best feature that in OneDrive For Business does not exists. This feature is "Shared by me" which allows to know, after a long period that I have shared document/folder, what are my sharings

520 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    24 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. IOS 11 DRAG AND DROP

Please make it so I can use the Apple files app on iOS 11 so I can drag and drop files and pics from one drive to files app.i want to open the Apple files app and click on onedrive without it opening another sub app. I want to move files everywhere like use my fingers to drag a pic from Onedrive drive to a iMessage or a email in the slide over app... I amluke and would love if u guys could add this so I can move files easier and faster please and a lot of my friends…

504 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    29 comments  ·  iOS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Provide an easy way to move files from OneDrive to SharePoint Online

Provide an easy way to move files from OneDrive to SharePoint Libraries. Show all Tenant Site Collections and their Document libraries where the user has write access. A cool extra would be the ability to move (and copy) files between SharePoint libraries. I guess a partner could build this, but I really think this should be a platform feature available to all standard Office 365 tentants. In my opinion these actions should be supported by the Office 365 'Files' (preview) API.

496 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    27 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. OneDrive Support for D750 NEF files

There is now support for viewing RAW (NEF) files from Nikon D750 (NEF files from other Nikon DSLRs works fine).

492 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    67 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Support for RAW/NEF/DNG photos (especially thumbnails)

Onedrive.com supports RAW photo files, but the Onedrive for Business photo gallery doesn't.

(the consumer product supports professional photo formats and the professional product only support consumer formats. Disappointing...)

455 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    26 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. allow saving to shared folders in iOS App

When saving to the OneDrive app in iOS (using the Open in... feature), it would be great to be able to save to a shared folder. As of now, you can't do that. If a team is working on a series of documents, they still can't share with each other easily. They have to each create a folder shared with others and then everyone on the team has to check every folder. If there was a shared folder for the whole team with edit permissions, it would be great for them all to be able to save to that folder.…

436 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  iOS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Batch tagging

Now that I'm able to add tags to photos, you should give me a simple way to add the tags to a set of photos.

As an example, I want to tag all photos I take at work with the #work hashtag.

421 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Photos  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion – we just finished rolling this out. You can now easily edit all the tags on one or more photos. Just navigate to the tags view, pick the photos, and select “Edit tags.”

12. Enable Anonymous Download of All OneDrive for Business Files w/o MS Acct

For files located within OneDrive for Business, you have the option to share those files using 'guest' links — either for viewing or editing. Files like .zip archives and .PDFs automatically download using these links but guests are unable to download Office Online documents (e.g., .xlsx, .docx) even if they're accessing them using the guest links. They can view the files using Office Online but the option to download or 'save a copy' is unavailable unless you're logged in using a Microsoft account.

This concept is incredibly confusing for the novice and forces me to perpetually play the role of…

417 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    28 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow JSON files on OneDrive for Business

I do development work for my company and they enforce OneDrive as the only backup/sync option. I have added all my projects to my oneDrive folder so that they are backed up and available from my Desktop and Laptop. I keep getting sync errors on JSON files. This is a big problem for me.

Please consider allowing JSON files for sync. I'm guessing one of the issues is that you don't want to provide a free data host where people use Sharepoint to access these files publicly. Perhaps you could block it at that level instead of the sync level?

409 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    49 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Sync pictures Metadata (tags and titles) both ways

Applying metadata (tag and title) to a file on a PC syncs the metadata to the online storage, however metadata applied online does not sync back to the client.

Please fix that. Tags are grate for pictures.

401 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks again for the suggestion. Tags you explicitly add to photos will now sync down to the photo and should work in other apps that read these standard tag formats. We also recently updated the website to make it easier to manage tags on multiple photos. We hope you enjoy these updates and please keep the feedback coming!

15. shared by me

Could you add a menu "Shared by me" (similar as "Shared with me") in OneDrive web interface on the left side menu?

More about the user need: on OneDrive, files and folder are shared "only you" by default but you can share files/folders hidden in folders or sub-folders which stay unshared. Over time it becomes very hard to see what you shared, thus having this page view of all files/folders "shared by me" would be very convenient for users...

388 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Offline folders on Android

Currently, there is a option for offline files (Thanks!). I would like to add option to sync whole folders, or select all files in it for offine access at once.

382 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    33 comments  ·  Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks again for the suggestion. We shipped this at the end of April to all paid customers. Please go check it out!

17. Remove the File size limit of 2GB for syncing.

There are numerous files that can exceed this file size. Especially if you're syncing family videos, large CAD files, or perhaps digital art files. This makes OneDrive not very useful for my purposes, and others I suspect.

I heard back in 2012 that this was something that the OneDrive team wanted to do but I haven't heard an update on this since then. Please let us know what's going on with this.

343 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    78 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Release a OneDrive for Business client for Mac OS X

A Mac OS X client still hasn't been released for OneDrive for Business.

323 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    60 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Merge Onedrive Albums with Photos Albums

Windows' Photos app currently has completely separate albums than OneDrive's albums. The albums are create manually on the client side, do not sync with OneDrive on the web, and do not sync with other PCs. In the same vein, OneDrive's albums have to be manually created, and to the best of my knowledge do not sync to the Photos app.

This is something that should exemplify One Microsoft. There is no reason for these products to be this disconnected.

263 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Photos  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Pin files/folders to Windows 10 Mobile startscreen

Re-enable the option to pin files or folders to the startscreen. First files was removed and in the latest version it became impossible to pin Folders to the Windows 10 Mobile startscreen. This was possible. Pinning is THE distinguishing and superhandy feature of Windows Phone/10 Mobile. Why is this gone????!!!!!!

259 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Windows Phone  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

OneDrive Archive

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base