OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive Archive

This forum has been closed but you can go to https://onedrive.uservoice.com to find, submit and vote on ideas.

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service" and "your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product. You can shake your mobile app or tap the ? then select “Email OneDrive support” from the website.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Integrate with History File

Windows 8/8.1 supports File History which allows you to see all previous versions of files on your folders, which is specially useful for a little in loco version control when dealing with projects that has many changing files.

But currently this feature requires another disk drive or a network drive.

Windows could automatically use OneDrive to store those files for each account, and present them to the user, downloading the previous versions as needed (similar on how OneDrive currently works on 8.1)

126 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    5 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please Add A Manual Sync now button on desktop icon

Please Add a Manual Sync now button when clicking the desktop icon (windows 10) I often find that the files aren't uploaded when they are saved. I don't leave my computers on overnight, this means usually after saving my work on my computer I shut it down. On windows 8.1 I normally would just click on the cloud icon and manually sync. Without that button I'm already noticing files not being updating on my other PC and I have no way to force it to update. Thank you!

125 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support for major ebook formats (e.g. mobi, epub, ...)

Hi,

Having the ability to open and read ebooks and documents in various formats straight from OneDrive.com can add more value to this great cloud application and storage.

It is currently possible to open pdf files which is awesome and great; however, opening mobi, epub and other file formats is dependant on client's machine which can be limiting. Adding this feature through an extension or providing it natively through OneDrive Word Documents application can help users to have less dependency on their environment and devices.

Thanks a lot. :)

125 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. symlink

Dear OneDrive, I really need you to support symlinks on Mac!

124 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Mac  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Douglas Pearce responded

This can create some very problematic scenarios with sync. Not something we are likely to get to in the near future.

5. Allow me to add files to my OneDrive account by pasting their web URLs.

Often times I come across a file on the web which I want to save a copy of, in case the original should ever go offline. This might be a podcast episode or a series of videos that someone is creating, such as Chrontendo over on Archive.org

Rather than making me download the file to my computer first and then slowly upload it through my pitiful upload bandwidth to OneDrive, why not simply allow me to give you the URL of the file I want on OneDrive and have OneDrive download it from the web to the folder of my…

123 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This isn’t something we’re likely to tackle soon, but it’s a great idea for the developer community. Perhaps a browser extension?

6. Remove the check marks for synced files

Remove the check mark for synced files. It should be blank when synced, not a check mark like in this photo. This is from Windows 10, the looks of synced files like windows 8 (without the check marks) is what I want.

120 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    139 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that we’re unlikely to change the model in the near future.

7. Exclude folders inside OneDrive Folder from synching.

Right now if you choose a folder inside Onedrive Folder to unsync that folder gets deleted from my PC. But I want that folder to remain in Onedrive Folder on my PC and not be syncing.

118 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    18 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that this is not something we’re likely to get to in the near future. If it just need to turn of sync temporarily, we now have pause available although this will apply to all folders.

8. Check In/Check Out by "OneDrive for Business" client.

I want to checking in/out the file in OneDrive for Business client.
    OneDrive for Business client mean Windows Explorer OneDrive for Business folder.

116 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    29 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that this isn’t something we’re likely to add to OneDrive in the near future. SharePoint does have this functionality today and we’d recommend using a Team Site for this scenario. The sync client handles treats documents that have been checked out from a Document Library as read only.

9. Embed a photo album to a website as a slideshow

Ability to embed an album to a webpage. This way someone can view my OneDrive photos without leaving the webpage. It would be nice if the embedded album showed a single picture at a time in an <iframe>with an option to arrow over to view the next photo in the album.

116 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Photos  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that we are unlikely to add this directly to OneDrive, but you can share your OneDrive photos in Sway today. Take a look at http://sway.com.

10. Create a Linux OneDrive client

It would be good to have an official OneDrive client that would allow us to sync files to Linux based machines in the same way as is possible for Windows/OS X.

114 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    214 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. "Hybrid Cloud" OneDrive API for NAS and Home Servers

I would like to be able to essentially "add" my NAS or WHS storage to my OneDrive by using something similar to the "fetch" or windows live mesh functionality of old. Basically, I like to be able to add a folder to my OneDrive folder that links to my NAS. When I'm on my home network, it would behave like a mapped drive, but when I'm on a mobile network, it would appear just like another OneDrive folder, albeit with different network characteristics. Setting it up shouldn't be any more difficult than setting up web access for WHS via your…

111 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that we’re unlikely to get to this in the near future.

12. freenas

create a plugin for syncing to freenas

110 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent this isn’t something we’re likely to get to in the near future.

13. Allow PDF files to open in a PDF handler rather than Word Online

Word online can't handle password protected PDF files, so my only choice is to download PDF files then open them seperately. Every other PDF link on the web simply spawns the user's installed PDF handler - can't OneDrive do the same?

Right now it pushes it to Word Online where I get an irritatating error message saying it can't handle the file format.

109 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    16 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that we aren’t going to get to this in the near future.

14. Roku app

Roku is the #1 streaming media hardware in the U.S. If we could get an app to show our family our photo albums and videos, we could expose lots of family to the great service that is OneDrive.

109 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that we are unlikely to get to this in the near future.

15. Show progression bars on file icons when synchronising or uploading

Show progression bars on file icons instead of the static 'refresh' icon.

109 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Mark files as can not be deleted

Currently, when I delete a OneDrive file on a client (phone/tablet/laptop), the file gets deleted on OneDrive and on all other clients. This is the right thing for many situations.

HOWEVER, there are some situations where I want to ensure files are not deleted. Examples are using OneDrive for backups or archiving (e.g. photos/videos).

It would be great to be able to mark files as can not be deleted.

109 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    38 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. This isn’t something we are likely to get to in the near future.

17. Allow changing file extensions when renaming files

As a power user, I love being able to see and change file extensions on the fly in case I'm working in different formats, or want to see my text highlighted with different syntax. In fact, every time I setup a new computer, one of the first options I setup is showing file extensions so that I can do so. I'd love to be able to see such an option when renaming files on OneDrive.com.

108 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    16 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We don’t think we’ll get to this soon, but it’s something you can do from file explorer.

18. Fix authentication for WebDAV access

I know it will be a long time (if ever) before OneDrive supports Linux, however at least make it possible for the community at large to use it via other channels. For example we could mount OneDrive via WebDav and linux's davfs except that the windows passport authentication gets in the way because of the redirects for authentication services... If webdav could be supported with its native auth mechanisms that would make OneDrive usable for Linux users.

107 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Just being transparent that this is not something we anticipate getting to in the near future

19. make it possible to copy a calendar event from one calendar to another inside Office 365.

We should be able to copy an event on one of our calendars and paste it onto another one. For example, I have a personal calendar and a calendar for my library that I created. I should be able to copy back and forth between them. Please vote for this feature!

106 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow web hosting with OneDrive

It would be great to be able to use OneDrive to host small websites. This is a useful way to play around with HTML and to share files without having to sign up for a dedicated website. This can be done currently with Google Drive (and I believe DropBox as well), but I believe the option may be going away in an update to the Google Drive interface.

105 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

OneDrive Archive

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base