OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive Archive

This forum has been closed but you can go to https://onedrive.uservoice.com to find, submit and vote on ideas.

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service" and "your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product. You can shake your mobile app or tap the ? then select “Email OneDrive support” from the website.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow control of space allocation for Office365 subscribers

With the recent news of Microsoft removing unlimited storage many people including myself are upset since we paid for Office 365 under that assumption. What I would like to see is at least allow me as the main subscriber decide how to split the 5 TB my account is allowed since I can have 5 users each allowed 1 TB. This would allow me who needs more storage to take it from family members who don't need it, yet doesn't cost Microsoft anything additional.

82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    19 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Douglas Pearce responded

We’re not announcing additional changes to our storage plans right now but thank you for the suggestion.

2. zip or unzip features

please give features like windows explorer like unzip or zip files or folder

Thanks

82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    52 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Appreciate the suggestion but want to be transparent that this isn’t something we’re likely to get to in the near future.

3. Give free storage with Xbox Live subscription

Give gamers who choose and invest in Microsoft's gaming ecosystem the chance to gain something that is connected to all of Microsoft's products...OneDrive storage!

I don't think a ridiculous amount would be necesseary but I think it would be nice to reward the folks who pay for a yearly subscription to your gaming service. I think it would reinforce the idea that it is all connected.

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Xbox  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re not announcing additional changes to our storage plans right now but thank you for the suggestion.

4. Rename the existing OneDrive for Business client before the Next Gen Sync client is released

To prevent the inevitable confusion that is soon to hit users, please make sure to rename the OneDrive for Business app/programme (currently bundled with Office) to something that isn't named after the product it will no longer have anything to do with.

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    not right now  ·  5 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Include Editing features for photos in one drive . It would be nice if an unlimited photo upload @ reduced size similar to that's of Google

In addition to above said Editing and Unlimited Photo space @standard size . Search should be improved for example if I tried to search my photos taken at some place ,I should be able to do that for example like saying / searching say "My photos in London " etc., Similarly searching by date , Peoples name if they are tagged ,(Although tags which created by default such as #Text ,#Screenshot etc., are pretty useful but I want them to be directly searchable from search bar or using Cortona )

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Photos  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that this isn’t something we will likely get to in the near future.

6. Git

We all here have (I assume) use OneDrive, and some of us use Git. When I want an Git repo in the cloud, I need another service like GitHub where I need to pay if I want an personal Git repo. But I already have OneDrive space like 60Gb.

My Idea is to add some functionality to some git functionality to the online service:
    - Don't show the git folder inside an project;
    - Make it able to contribute via an button --> There is an Git folder inside an project, so OneDrive would be smart enough to only show…

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Developer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Ryan Gregg responded

This is a great suggestion, but not something we’re planning to do right now. It sounds as though there is an existing GIT plug-in that enables keeping a repo on OneDrive which can provide this functionality already.

7. Allow multiple OneDrive accounts integrated into Windows Explorer

Currently, even if you integrated multiple OneDrive accounts, only the one in which you are logged on is integrated into Windows Explorer. Allowing to use as many OneDrive accounts you have integrated into Windows Explore would make OneDrive even more relevant.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    250 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Omar Shahine responded

Understand the request, but we have no plans to support multiple OneDrive personal accounts per OS user account.

8. Syncing files between computers without storing on OneDrive

Currently, for a file to be synced, it must be uploaded to OneDrive. I would like the option to simply sync files between computers WITHOUT having them actually stay on my OneDrive.

Basically like the old Fetch feature, but with automatic syncing of selected files. I believe Windows Live Mesh (very old version of OneDrive) had a feature like this too.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Omar Shahine responded

Sorry, but this kind of feature is not consistent with how we think of evolving OneDrive. OneDrive is not p2p sync.

9. Microsoft should buy Dropbox software

As the developers group at Microsoft is not able to produce an app to synchronize also shared OneDrive folders, I recommend to ask Dropbox to sell their software package to Microsoft. (Server, Desktop app, web app....). Microsoft should buy all rights on this software and glue a label "OneDrive" on it.
    The big benefit for Microsoft loyal customers would be, that they do not have to wait longer for 'shared folder synchronisation' any more.
    Oh yes, and please throw away then the old OneDrive Service, maybe also the development staff can help somewhere else.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Customize the location that Rooms are created.

Many things like the Rooms function in Windows Phone create directories in the root of my Onedrive folder. It would be great to be able to have all of these in a folder, or customizable directory to keep things cleaner.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Windows Phone  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Make API case sensitive

At the moment you cannot create two folders of the same name with different case.

As far as I can tell, all modern operating systems support case sensitive filesystems by default, so that isn't really an excuse.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    not right now  ·  3 comments  ·  Developer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. GET RID OF WINDOWS 8!!!

GO BACK TO AT LEAST SOME OF THE BASICS...THIS WINDOWS 8 SUCKS BIG TIME!!!!! AS SOON AS I CAN GET SOMEONE TO FIX IT BACK TO WINDOWS 7, I WILL! AS FOR THIS ONE DRIVE, I HATE IT! I WANT TO BE ABLE TO CLICK ON A BUTTON FROM THE START MENU AND SEE MY PICTURES...I JUST HATE THIS!!!!!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    not right now  ·  0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Vacation Request for Office (aka Calendar)

Office suite - besides eMail, Calendar ++ should have a Vacation Request (Calendar Type) feature... that IT/HR departments could use instead of SOOO many proprietary ones... witch... are not good or stable.
    ... accessible from OneDrive/Office365.

P.S. I know this is "Windows" section not Office one... but until I find office one... this will do...

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Casey Penk responded

Hi Elvis,

This is the OneDrive UserVoice. Have you tried submitting feedback through Outlook or Outlook Calendar?

You can go to calendar.live.com, click on the gear icon in the upper right corner, then click “Feedback.” You can share your idea there.

Thank you.

14. SandBox the OS Files

Windows 7 have the greatest thing: Restore Point.
    But Windows 8+ has the other great thing" SandBoxing

All apps that need to be installed on a windows machine require access to System files - access I do not want to give to all - but only the selected few.

SO: make Windows specific Files - Read Only !!!
    So - if an installer wants Write access to a certain System/Windows file it should receive a Clone/Copy Roaming of the file.

Eq: Any time an app require access to c:\Windows\xxx.sys file - it should receive a c:\User\Roaming\xxx.sys.

Basically the app should…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Elvis,

Please submit this on the Windows UserVoice at windows.uservoice.com. Thank you.

15. Azure/VM Second Screen

Windows 10 has the nicest new feature: Multiple desktops.
    But what I want a virtual machine to fill and use a specific Desktop? and not allow other process to run there - like a REAL second screen?

Windows 10 should come with a 30 days Windows 10 Azure License.
    After LogIn - if I still have an Azure linked to my account I should be able to create not only a new Desktop - but to create a new desktop with an Azure VM - a real Second Screen from the cloud...

Or open Azure as a new Window -…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Elvis,

Please suggest this on the Windows UserVoice at windows.uservoice.com. This UserVoice is focused on OneDrive. Thank you.

16. If not "One Product" ... at least One suggested Way...

Here is my problem! Long text here.

Q: What is this "One" all of us discuss? And what is behind it?
    Is it "One = Single" Product? or any "single" independent thing?
    I struggle to understand this "ONE"...
    A: There is no "one". :) Yet. But maybe it could be "One way" ...

Windows is not just a kernel - it's a service too. It should provide necessary help to do your job - Like Cortana - when accessing some API's.
    But what Cortana can do if there is no API to use?

So here is my problem: Let's take…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Elvis, please share this on the Windows UserVoice at windows.uservoice.com.

17. Add a semitransparent Partial Region to any Window.

Scenario:
    I often use Visual Studio and look at a lot of test Results in the same time.

For that I need to resize the Visual Studio Window or Alt-Tab to view the window.

That's insanely non-optimal.

So what I do is to move the test results of a Border less Window on top of the screen - underneath the top Semi-Transparent V.S. Bar.(Aero theme)

I use a thick font and different colors.
    That's better. Non Intrusive Test Results - directly on (beneath) any top-bar window.
    But that's insane too.

Better would be to be able to create & pair…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. TDD Interface-Class-TestClass dependencies.

In C#/.NET if I inherit a class from an interface and then I change the interface signature I get a compiler error.

But now we have TDD.

In TDD we create a Test Class that is testing another class (like a static class that is testing another class methods).
    But if we change/update the base class we do not get to see a TDD-Compiler Error.

The change it's transparent.
    Adding a feature in a base class WILL NOT issue an error in TDD.

Can this be done?
    Like a "interface class" for "TDD class"

[Test Class]
    class BaseClass : Class …

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Developer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Make null a Default Static Instance of an Object

Most of the devs are struggling to aVOID the NULL.
    Because of the NULL Reference we have a lot of unwanted errors. In some cases.
    Look at JavaScript. There is no NULL problem.

I would like this feature in C#/.Net.

If I do something like:
    class Class1
    {
    public int x = 0;
    }

Class1 c1 = null;
    c1.x = 2;

There should be NO ERROR.
    What should happen is the following: "static" Class1.x = 2. the persist or not the value.
    Basically on run time each defined object/class will create one special static instance.

This could be useful when …

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Developer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 3 5 Next →

OneDrive Archive

Categories