OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive Archive

This forum has been closed but you can go to https://onedrive.uservoice.com to find, submit and vote on ideas.

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service" and "your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product. You can shake your mobile app or tap the ? then select “Email OneDrive support” from the website.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable FLAC Music Streaming from OneDrive

Many users today have FLAC music libraries. FLAC (free lossless audio codec) is a free, open-source, CD-quality file format which is in many ways superior to MP3. Unfortunately, you're currently unable to stream FLAC music from OneDrive through Groove Music.

Personally speaking, all but a few of my songs stored in OneDrive are FLAC format. Unfortunately, Groove music doesn't recognize these songs unless they are saved to my device locally. Therefore my Groove music library on my Lumia 950XL is empty, aside from the few songs in OneDrive I have saved as MP3s. Even if you search for a song…

3,186 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    87 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We understand the request, but don’t have any plans to support FLAC file playback at this time. We have continued to invest in better video and audio playback experiences across the OneDrive apps for the most common media file types.

2. Please make an app for the new Apple TV

Please create an app for the new Apple TV on the tvOS system.

1,068 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    161 comments  ·  iOS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow any folder to be synced

Currently if you want to sync files they must be saved to \users\<username>\OneDrive. This is way too limiting!!! Need to be able to define any folder in any path to be a synced folder.

802 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    177 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Update 'OneDrive for Business' to sync with a network drive

OneDrive for Business currently only syncs with a directory on the C:\ drive.

In a Business environment, users have a personal drive (called H:\ drive here) where they store documents and data.

Please make OneDrive for Business sync a directory in the H:\ drive.

This is the default data drive for users - so it's where they expect to start a navigation to a file. Seriously, who (in a business environment) stores data on C:\ drive where it isn't backed up?

This also makes it easy to switch out a laptop for a new one. Nothing is on the c:\drive.

646 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    200 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion – it’s definitely a valid scenario. Being transparent we’ve got other engineering priorities right now and so won’t be able to address this in the short term. We’ll revisit this scenario once our short to mid-term feature investments are delivered.

5. Sync Start menu / Start screen across our devices to OneDrive (please read)

OneDrive used to support syncing your Start experience across your devices. It was always an option, along with syncing your wallpaper, lock screen, and other settings to OneDrive across your devices. Unfortunately, OneDrive in Windows 10 no longer supports this feature. Let's take a look at the three main problems, and see why the time has *never been better* for Start sync:

Difficulty #1:
    In Windows 8.1, many Windows Phone apps weren't available on PC and vice versa, which meant Start sync left "holes" where certain apps didn't exist on a given platform. However now with Windows 10, we have…

570 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    16 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Ability to save files "Online Only" to OneDrive in Windows 10 Mobile

On Windows 10 desktop, the Settings app gives you the ability to store your personal files & folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, etc.) in OneDrive. Screenshot for reference:

http://i.imgur.com/AMw4PzJ.png

Notice that some user folders are still missing, e.g. "Desktop", "Favorites", "Videos", etc. -- hopefully these are coming soon! See this suggestion (erroneously marked "completed") for more details:

https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/8083425-locate-documents-pictures-music-video-desktop

However, on Windows 10 Mobile, this option is missing entirely. There is no way to save your files "Online Only" to OneDrive. Here's a screenshot of the same exact Settings page on W10 Mobile, which only gives you the options to store your…

504 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Windows Phone  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Douglas Pearce responded

Thanks for the suggestion. We are looking at ways to offload more storage to the cloud, but we aren’t likely to build a generalized solution to this in the near future. If you want to talk specifically about photos, screenshots, or recordings, you may want to split this up into separate requests.

7. Stop creating unwanted folders

Every time I start up OneDrive for the first time a new folder named 'Documents' is created. A cloud service like OneDrive is supposed to sync the files and folders that I define on the server one-to-one without creating new, unwanted folders. Now I have to delete this folder three times a day and I'm fed up with it. The same goes for the camera roll functionality, which creates a new directory structure to back up the pictures, instead of letting the user define where to store the files. Think about usability please!

402 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. We are looking separately at camera roll from folders like Documents and Pictures. If you want to split this up, we’ll prioritize them separately.

8. iOS Camera Roll Backup Bug

Not all of my images/videos in my camera roll are successfully backed up in OneDrive for iOS even though I have the Camera Roll Backup feature turned on and the status says "up to date".

I ended up having to copy all the images off my iPhone to a PC and do a folder diff with my OneDrive CameraRoll folder. What I found was occasional photos taken between Aug 2014 an Jan 2015 were not present in my OneDrive Camera Roll.

Before manually finding the differences, I was able to visually spot some missing photos in the OneDrive app. I…

362 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    151 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi, folks. We know about this issue and are working on it. The best way for us to help you is to have you send feedback (and logs) directly from the app. You can shake your phone or send the bug report through Settings / Help & Feedback.

9. Allow OneDrive folder to be on a Storage Space (ReFS File System)

With OneDrive storage allowances greatly increasing, I would like to be able to move my local OneDrive folder into my Storage Space. My primary hard drive is an SSD with limited space. Currently, OneDrive folders are limited to NTFS formatted drives/partitions.

353 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    51 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make Onedrive Universal App a Windows 10 build-in app!!!

Make Onedrive Universal App a Windows 10 build-in app!!! And remove the old desktop sync client(OnedriveSetup.exe based client) from windows 10!!!

291 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    not right now  ·  5 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Remove the hamburger menu in Windows Phone

The WP UI revamp is not done! We would like to see beautiful Modern/Metro style user interfaces on our Windows Phones and not stupid Android copies.

Remove the hamburger menu and do not bring it back. It is in the farthest corner of the phone from my finger and I can not reach it. Furthermore, the flyout is ugly and lags on my 930...

Do not forget the search button, the pivot view and all the missing parts.

And do not introduce more bad UI practices and concepts like these ones in the future. Stick to the pertfectly designed Metro…

283 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    31 comments  ·  Windows Phone  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Omar Shahine responded

Thanks for the feedback. At this time, this is the UI pattern we’re adopting for account management. You’ll notice that a number of other Microsoft apps are shifting to using the hamburger and our work here is consistent with that approach.

12. Enable multiple sync folders or syncing behind junction points/symbolic links.

With theoretical "ulimited" storage now being offered, maybe its time to look over how people will be using the software to make use of this. I find it practically impossible to sync or upload the files from my local server which are housed on 5 seperate physical harddrives. Can you please implement possibility to use several onedrive sync folders, syncing behing junctions or symb. links, or a different solution to support the "unlimited" storage which you sell.

Maybe FTP would be a good easy way to start.

260 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    26 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that we aren’t likely to do this in the near term.

13. allow the user to select whether to open files in the online app version, or in the native application

When I click on an Office file in my OneDrive, the system default is to use the online / browser version of the office app (Excel, word, etc.). I would like to be able to set the default such that the file opens in the native application, not the browser version.

256 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent, we aren’t likely to get to this in the near term.

14. Allow renaming root folder (OneDrive folder)

Currently renaming of Root folder ( OneDrive ) is not allowed. ( At least I am not aware of how to do it).

This feature enables me in hiding the fact that this folder is cloud based ( backed up in cloud ). This is particularly helpful in office enviornment where lot of orgnizations don't want employees to upload data to any cloud based websites.

253 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    188 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent, this is not something we are likely to get to in the new future.

15. 222 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent, but this isn’t something we’re going to do in the near term.

16. Add FTP server to OneDrive in the Cloud

I have a wildlife camera that saves pictures to any remote ftp server.

I get almost no advantage from having Onedrive bundled with things, it seems to be of very little use. If my camera could FTP things into it then the pictures would be available on my PC or my tablet as soon as I logged in

There are many devices with built in FTP clients, and this would be real product differentiation. None of the competing cloud services offer FTP

202 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    113 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 186 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    52 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add photo editor

Add photo editor to the drive. It would greatly enhance the experience, especially since most people want to tweak a photo before sharing.

This is getting to be pretty standard and it comes across to me as a weakness of one drive, especially since I really am trying to get away from google drive, which is integrated with picasa.

180 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    19 comments  ·  Photos  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

On Windows 10, OneDrive is built right into the Photos app which offers rich editing features for all your OneDrive photos. On the web and on mobile, we are working to make it easier to use the editor of your choice.

19. Add photo ratings (stars) to metadata and sorting

Now that you've made photos front and center, it would be great to be able to find your favorites, make an item a favorite.

With the focus on photos, and the auto tagging, imagine searching for my favorite beach pictures, and BOOM! It's done.

174 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    20 comments  ·  Photos  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that we’re not likely to get to this in the near future.

20. Use a file to ignore / exclude files or folder

Add functionality similar to a gitIgnore file or nomedia files. Allow a user to add a .ignore file to exclude local files or folders from being synced.

Example: I have NodeJS projects on my OneDrive but get sync errors because the file path is too long. The long paths are primarily extra modules that do not need to be synced. It would be nice to be able to exclude certain folders or files.

170 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    278 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Angus Logan responded

Hi, for this scenario we’d recommend putting the files outside of the OneDrive folder. The design is that all files in the OneDrive folder will be sync’d and files outside the folder will not be sync’d.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

OneDrive Archive

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base