OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive Archive

This forum has been closed but you can go to https://onedrive.uservoice.com to find, submit and vote on ideas.

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service" and "your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product. You can shake your mobile app or tap the ? then select “Email OneDrive support” from the website.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bring back placeholder capabilities in Windows 10

File pointers and selective downloads / syncing was single best feature in desktop version of OneDrive. In new build it's gone. Current solution is terrible for tablets and SSD devices with smaller disk space.

If you find the previous solution confusing (as you described it in a blog post about new build), make the file pointers semi-transparent or grey in File Explorer.

2,850 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    212 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    please split up  ·  Angus Logan responded

Hi, I’d recommend we break this up so individual ideas can be tracked and voted up separately – below are some suggested titles:

Browse and open from OneDrive without having to sync all my files

Selectively sync individual files to bring offline

Search all my OneDrive files even if they’re not on my PC

Access all my photos in OneDrive offline without having to download the full res originals

2. We need ONEDRIVE for Business - NOT SHAREPOINT. 1 TB of storage with NO LIMITS on the amount of files. Onedrive "personal" is better :(

OneDrive is a very, very good app ... but "OneDrive for Business" is unfortunately a mistake.
    Synchronization problems and limitations arising from the Sharepoint ...I hope Microsoft will change the approach to the "OneDrive for Business" 

No for restrictions -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2933738/en-us Look at this -> http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/156/t/269786.aspx

1) ONEDRIVE for Business, it SHOULD be ONEDRIVE but for business.

It shouldn't be SharePoint, it shouldn't have restriction that ONEDRIVE doesn't have. I get what you are saying but, making excuses for it isn't helping.

We need it to be ONEDRIVE for Business, NOT SHAREPOINT. We want ONE place that syncs properly,…

577 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    38 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! We’d love it if you could split this into more distinct suggestions so that your votes become most actionable.. There’s a bunch of votes in uservoice on some of the themes you touch on such as sync and IT admin. There’s a lot of stuff we’re addressing between now and the end of 2015. For full details of this I suggest you watch the Ignite sessions we delivered recently. Roadmap update: https://myignite.microsoft.com/#/videos/dfec5e5c-3895-e411-b87f-00155d5066d7 and Sync deep-dive: https://myignite.microsoft.com/#/videos/54eca7cb-3595-e411-b87f-00155d5066d7

Thanks again!

3. File Sharing link options (expire date, password, public, resharing....)

Add the possibility to improve the link sharing of files.
    Must have:
    1. out of the explorer with the Dropdown menu "copy share link"

nice to have:
    2. an expiration date on shared links (expires in ... days, expire date
    3. make link public or private (logged in, everyone)

Idea:
    4. allow upload to folder wich is shared
    5. prevent from download (vie only)

342 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    30 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    please split up  ·  Omar Shahine responded

Thanks for the suggestion. Sharing is super important and this idea has many suggestions. Can you please break this up into distinct ideas.

4. Improve OneDrive setup / deploy / update experience for Enterprise

Currently, the OneDrive client in Windows 10 is a per user install. Updates are installed per user and require internet access at time of running.

It would be great if the OneDrive client could be installed on a per machine basis and be updated in a similar way or using Windows Update/WSUS/ConfigMgr.

OneDrive for Business is starting to become popular with Enterprise and making them manage this per user seems a little backwards.

215 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. We install the OneDrive client per user for the broad install base of users who aren’t managed by IT. For our managed customers, we do understand the importance of this scenario and are working on enhanced admin control for client updates which will allow you to use existing deployment tools and give you better control over the timing of updates. Look for updates soon.

5. Make One Drive for Business good.

I hate to sound like a jerk, but seriously, this is by far the most terrible feature of Office 365.

The office cache handler causes no end of sync issues for my staff, from cpu usage to files not uploading.

The icon is ugly and pixelated on hidpi displays, the restrictions on file names, sizes, numbers, etc. Make it incredibly hard for a company with legacy systems to use.

My company uses O365 but recently switched to DropBox for business, which actually works as you'd expect.

I love you guys, and I love OneDrive personal, why is the business version…

187 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    please split up  ·  Casey Penk responded

Hi there, and thanks for your suggestions. Please split up this suggestion into multiple suggestions so we can respond appropriately to each one. This will also allow other OneDrivers to vote on their favorite individual ideas. Thanks for using OneDrive! :)

6. Disable sharing

Prevent Sharing

We would like to be able to prevent sharing entirely (Both externally and Internally) on One Drive for Business.

As a company we use SharePoint TeamSites and other collaboration tools for sharing both internally and externally. For a number of reasons it is important that users use the central document/project space for sharing.

We would like to see a feature added where we could disable sharing completely on users one drives

169 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    16 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Can you split up? We do support disabling external today but don’t offer support for disabling sharing within a tenant.

7. Multiple One Drive accounts

Hi, I was just wondering if it is possible to have 2 personal one drive accounts on the OneDrive app? I have a few accounts and think it would be very useful to be able to add them onto the app to manage.

164 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    30 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. I think we have this ask for each platform already, but let’s use these votes on the platform where you think it would be the most valuable.

8. Exclude folders from Photo View

Is there anyway to exclude folders from showing up in photo albums/feed?
    Following the Xbox Music integration, I've started ripping my vast CD Single collection and adding in a folder.jpg file for album artwork. I now have around 1000 pictures of CD covers in my feeds! Would be useful if the Music folder is excluded from the photo/image selection process.

163 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    55 comments  ·  Photos  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion, Paul. Aaron in the comments is right that the All Photos view can be scoped down on the web to just look at the Pictures folder. We’re working to get that on the mobile apps as well. I suggest splitting this one up since there are probably more granular feature requests here. Thanks again.

9. We request whatever iOS has for windows phone 10 with most priority.

We request whatever iOS has for windows phone 10 with most priority.
    It's absolutely not fair to decide the feature/function for user according to the votes number. The whole world know that windows phone user is much less than of iOS and android, and this is Microsoft's fault. Most import, these who insist to use windows phone is your most faithful user. If you treat your most faithful user like this continuously, I really suggest you, Microsoft company, give up its windows phone system and mobile device,because you will lose your last key users forever.
    It has been years, we…

152 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Windows Phone  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re committed to bringing the core OneDrive capabilities to every device and platform we have apps for. We built a brand new application on the Windows 10 UWP platform and we are bringing features over from our previous Windows Phone 8.1 application as well as capabilities on our other apps. If there are features you’d like to see us prioritize higher, please create individual requests so we can better track and respond to them. Thank you!

10. 135 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    57 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

OneDrive supports RAW files today. Can you break this down to the specific type you’re looking for?

11. Fix OneDrive for Business!

One Drive for Business is so much worse than OneDrive Personal. No idea why the free version works. A few examples

1. OneNote cannot see share docs on iOS if they are shared from OneDrive for Business. Works fine on OneDrive Personal

2. OneDrive for Business cannot share folders outside of your domain. You can with OneDrive Personal.

3. You cannot download files outside of the domain if they are doc, docx, ppt, pptx and xlsx, but you can download zip, pdf, xls files. Not a problem with OneDrive Personal.

4. File size makes no sense. Why do you have…

134 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    please split up  ·  Casey Penk responded

Hi there, thanks for your feedback. Please split up your suggestion into multiple suggestions. This will allow people to vote on the specific ideas they like the most, and will help us prioritize. Thanks for using OneDrive! :)

12. List of 'Upload Progress...' requests

Progress Bar and Progress Files

There are various requests for progress. There should be one which includes them all.

> Display File qty, KB and % remaining
    > Display pending list of files being uploaded and % of currently being uploaded
    > Pause upload feature
    > (low) Cap upload rates
    > Time to sync

130 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. We actually have the count of files and the total file size remaining for both upload and download. We also recently added the pause feature. Could you split up your other suggestions? I think you’ll find other supporters our there, too.

13. OSX Finder Integration

1. Sync Status (icon with a tick for example) for each file and folder
    2. Share from Finder
    3. Onedrive Online only volume, so we can open and save directly to Onedrive without the need to sync locally

129 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    20 comments  ·  Mac  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Option to set default sort of files

It's frutating, in apps or the web explorer, to have to change the sort option for files. It seems to always go back do sort by date, against my option to go back to sort by filename (A-Z).

Please add option to choose a default way to sort the files.

122 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. We have this on our website. I think we also have an existing request for our mobile apps. Want to put your votes there?

15. delete pictures from device after automatic upload to camera roll.

I would like the option to automatically delete photos from device after upload to onedrive.

122 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    22 comments  ·  Photos  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the request. We’re tracking this on a per-platform basis. Can you put your votes behind the platform you’re using?

16. Update to view GIF images better online and on smartphone app.

Would like to be able to see GIF images "move" both online and on smartphone app.

121 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Photos  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Smarter and more detailed search options

Why not include various search options like:

Search withing current folder

Search by filetype - pdf, jpg, tif, doc, mp3, etc

Search (and list in order of) by size

Search filename only

Search (and list in order of) by video length

And if you want to go even further..... search geotagged items by location - if I want to show my travel photos of Turkey and not have photos pop up with my Thanksgiving dinner ;-)

Facial ID's (I read that's in the works)

....etc.
    ?

113 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are working on search improvements to both consumer and business products and to Sharepoint as well. Can you split these suggestions up and we can take them one at a time?

18. Drag and Drop of a folder and/or multiple files using Internet Explorer and Edge!

Drag and Drop of a folder and/or multiple files using Internet Explorer and Edge!

108 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We support drag/drop uploading for Edge today for multiple files and folders. For IE we support individual files. Thanks!

19. add text editing support for the Onedrive apps, as an in-app feature.

It'd be great if I could edit text files on Onedrive from the One drive app (I'm talking about Android, but I'm sure everyone would like this). Also it would be great if Onedrive could add syntax highlighting for various programming and computer languages (Python, TeX, Markdown, etc.)

107 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    27 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We support this in the OneDrive web experience today. Can you split up by platform and we can look at the relative priority? Thanks for the suggestion.

20. Give us OneDrive For Business Context Menu options

The old Sync Client had right-click context menu items. For example:
    1. OneDrive For Business > Share
    2. OneDrive For Business > View in Browser

The new client removed these. WHY?!?! Please give us these options back and more. It is crazy to think users should go to the web to share a file/folder. Let users do it from the folder view directly. I would even take it further and put OneDrive share options in the Explorer ribbon.

101 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Could you split out sharing and viewing online? Currently these will both take you to our website.

← Previous 1

OneDrive Archive

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base