OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Expand and document the search syntax

I love using search on OneDrive to search within documents, (tagged) images and even within the contents of the OneNote notebooks. Although it's great to use full-text search, there are a lot of useless results because of it when you have a large set of documents.

I noticed that phrase searching works! (a search for a phrase between quotes) but there isn't a documented list of the search syntax. I would suggest to expand the (advanced) search syntax to at least enable excluding specific folders, photos or specific filetypes.

Search in OneDrive already is quite powerful but it would be even more useful if you had some control in filtering the search results.

21 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Raymond Snijders shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Timothy J. McKenna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneDrive's search scope is far too broad for serious use by professionals. I must use native Win10 File Explorer search to find anything specific on OneDrive (with Files-on-Demand). Searching OneDrive via the web interface in Office365 finds everything and anything. Please implement File Explorer's search capabilities and syntax in Office 365 / OneDrive.

• LAX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My thoughts exactly! I'm looking to move my content to another cloud provider because it's simply grown too large for OneDrive and the lack of any organized search function has hindered my ability to use my own content. Unless I extract all my own files down to my PC again and allow it to index the files (making the cloud merely useless backup) then I need to find a provider that has refined the search process. I'm aware it exists on SharePoint so it isn't an over-the-top request.

OneDrive Archive: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base