OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Can't have an underscore in file name any more

The latest client does NOT allow a file or folder name with an underscore. That's garbage. I have hundreds if not thousands of these file names. You must support ALL characters supported by NTFS. I have no problems with file names on DropBox or Google Drive and had no problems with file_name or folder_name in the Office 2013 build of ODB.

60 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
TubaOrNotTuba shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Two and a half years later, Microsoft still has't had the decency to even add the underscore to the list of invalid characters. Never mind actually attempting to make any changes to improve the way the sync works (or rather doesn't work for far too many people), they can't be bothered to give us the correct information about the current state of it.

• M Giles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is with the sudden undocumented restriction on the use of underscore in file names with OD4B??

• John Nash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I ran into this problem as well. Many files in our environment have an underscore character ("_") in the filename.

Interestingly, the Microsoft Support article that talks about invalid characters does not even mention or list the underscore character as being among the invalid / disallowed ones. So the question is, where is this unnamed / unlisted restriction for barring the use of the underscore character coming from?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Invalid-characters-in-file-or-folder-names-or-invalid-file-types-in-OneDrive-for-Business-64883a5d-228e-48f5-b3d2-eb39e07630fa

Microsoft: Please remove this restriction ASAP, thanks!

• Gary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have found that google drive changed some file names in my account on their server. I downloaded a bunch of files and found that some files were no longer names the same as the local copy in my google drive folder. For example, & or ; were change to _

Files with names staring with . changed the . to underscore. &20 was changed to _20

.xml extension was added to a file containing xml that didn't have that extension.

I'd be interested in know whether others can duplicate this behavior.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Only Microsoft would give you an online sync tool which won't let you save filenames that include characters which are DEFAULT in many cases (i.e., saved web pages all include a folder which ends "_files". Renaming this breaks the saved web page irreversibly (you can change the name of the file and associated flder by changing the saved .html file, but that does not change or remove the "_files" at the end!).

• Glen O'Riley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep this one is a killer for me and I'm about to dump ANYTHING to do with OneDrive from this!

Go from OneDrive personal which had no issues for YEARS with file names containing most characters, allowed me to set MY folder for sync not some BS long tenant name etc to OD for biz and suddenly cop this.... first no you cannot sync your pictures folder as it is over 20k files (oh but you can split it).

Finally get something that's not a 10year old rebadged POS (Groove) and bam up yours cop this, several new bs reasons to keep you from using our product including now not being able to use underscore (despite the fact Internet Exploder uses this to save) and not being able to set the folder name and location I want but rather having to have the bs tennant name.

Microsoft ... 1 step forward 2 steps back and 10 years to make it happen! Yet Google and I'll bet even iCloud don't have this bs.

So now I have a choice, pay more than it would cost me for my O365 plan to go back to OneDrive personal and put up with a max 200gb limit (or pay through the nose for WHAT I'VE ALREADY PAID FOR), put up with a bit of rubbish I'm paying for that won't work (yeah like that's gunna float) or tell you useless pack of morons to get your **** together and head for the competition who've had this stuff working for YEARS. ..... I'll be investigating Google Docs tonight as a COMPLETE replacement for our entire network including mail and I now see why the AU government laughed at Microsoft and went to Google Docs :(.

• Justin Grote commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every time a user saves a webpage it's going to have an _files folder that now won't sync. Not including underscore is unacceptable, I agree.

OneDrive Archive: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base