OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Preserve file dates while syncing

OneDrive for Business sync client(s) should preserve creation- and modification dates when files are added to the library.

75 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Infinicat shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sean Parsons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At my organization, we had several people including Execs who participated in our Pilot using the ODFB client. This Metadata preservation issue is one of the most significant issues/blockers to getting them and others to adopt ODFB and preventing us to push out the client to anyone else for now. Quite frankly, it seems a big oversight and is a limitation for something that should not be that difficult but, is so important to the way many people work and organize their data files.

From an SVP - "I started using One Drive Business and moved my data from One Drive Personal. So far so good, but two annoyances, first of which is actually pretty significant to the way I work…

1. When I copied the files the last modified date got lost and reset to the day/time of the copy. Now I have to try to figure out which file, since I use the descending sort on modified date as my default ..."

• Bryan Quick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This capability is important to my customer. If we expect that users will adopt OneDrive as a replacement for their file servers, they need to be able to sort by last modified date after the sync and find their files. Having all the of created and modified dates reset to the current date creates unnecessary disruption for users during the migration process. Our advocates in IT are pushing for users to adopt the cloud and move away from traditional file servers. We could assist them in stating their case by making the transition seamless.

• Ivan Bakran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is the behaviour regarding file dates in OneDrive for Business different from OneDrive personal? When syncing/uploading files to my private OneDrive the file dates are indeed preserved. I can see the logic in both scenarios, but there should be an option to choose (on a global admin level) if you would like to use the upload date or original creation date in your organisation.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not having this ability really makes the buy-in from users to use OneDrive more difficult. It's just one more thing they fight with IT Admins about when their organization is transitioning to OneDrive for Business. Perhaps an option for making the Modified date/time of a file being uploaded either current date/time or the date/time of the source file.

OneDrive Archive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base