OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

change the sync icon to not cover file type visual recognition

I use OneDrive for Business on my work laptop and Dropbox on my personal laptop. There has been something bugging me about OneDrive for awhile now and I think I can finally capture it visually. The following image contains two different images: the top image is what Dropbox looks like (credit: internet search - this is not my computer) and the bottom image is a screen capture from my work laptop (with all sensitive information removed).

I am a very visually driven person and often sort data quickly by recognizing patterns but I have been having some difficulties doing this with my OneDrive for Business enabled folders.

Problem: The green checkmark icon (and blue syncing icon) that OneDrive places over a file's icon will obscure the file's icon resulting in difficulty navigating folders and reduced productivity.
Scope: Impacts the following folder views: "Small Icons", "List", and "Details".
Solution: For any folder view that utilizes the small file icon, use an even smaller sync icon OR offset the sync icon to not cover as much of the file icon OR consider making the sync icon transparent OR consider adding a feature to disable/limit the sync icon's appearance to folder only.

Side note: It may be of interest to the Office team that most sync clients draw their green check mark in the lower left corner. In the change to Office 2016, the icon for Word and other Office products was moved to the lower left. This has contributed to this issue.

51 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Kirsten Grace shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Tom H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, positioning it bottom right instead of bottom left would solve this.

• Javier Balderrama commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree.
    The sync flag needs to be changed, there is no reason to disrupt ( or overlap) the document type symbols with the sync flag. Ultimately EVERYTHING should be sync'd so maybe they should ONLY flag the ones that are not sync ( with the double arrows), you know, by exception.

• mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. it drives me crazy that i cannot tell the file type by looking at the icon because it's covered up by the green checkbox.

• Susurrus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is especially annoying if you have two files with the same file name. For example, I have a Homework9.xlsx and Homework9.docx in the same folder, and they sit side by side, the only difference is the extension. Icons are really useless if they're covered by the OneDrive status.

Temporary workaround is to make sure file extensions are displayed, and just go by those.

OneDrive Archive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base