OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Choosing thumbnail image for the video on one drive

I haven't been able to find a way to choose my own thumbnail image once a video has been uploaded to my one drive account. When I share the video to friends via Facebook, sometimes I do not like the thumbnail image that was automatically created when the video was uploaded. Could there be an added feature where you can add a thumbnail image from the video uploaded as the front cover image so it uses this thumbnail image when posting and sharing the file to friends in Facebook??

65 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • bobaol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like the thumbnail is the exact middle frame of the entire movie length.

How is this helpful?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

is tomorrow really the 3rd YEAR anniversary of this feature request and yet to be fulfilled? Way to go Microsoft... (facepalm)

• Jamie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would have used Onedrive for sharing videos only for this limitation. no ability to choose a thumbnail means you cant share videos that onedrive chooses a random thumbnail - would seem like a fairly basic requirement to me. Now I need to use Vimeo

• Martina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is a must for the video sharing option. Just a randomly selected 16:9 view isn't satisfying. Come on. Can't be that difficult for Microsoft.

• Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree -- it's important this feature is made available. I produce learning videos for children and share them via OneDrive. It really makes a big difference what that thumbnail image is.

My 15min video chose a single frame of a pregnant woman from a 3sec snippet in the middle that is totally inappropriate as the thumbnail out of context with the whole video. I'll go with bug. I can't share the video like this so am going to use a different service.

• bdonnach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Especially problematic when the randomly selected thumbnail is perhaps the worst frame of the entire video. I'm going to have to upload the video to YouTube so I can have some options.

Spent a considerable amount of time searching for this ability today until OneDrive support confirmed it wasn't an option. Curiously, I did find a KB that indicates an option inside SharePoint so hopefully they can port the functionality to OneDrive soon.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Capture-or-change-a-video-thumbnail-BBF52FE0-3DD6-4BD7-B199-CCDE413F6B1E

• Alan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My experience is that the thumbnail chosen by onedrive from the video to represent the video file is pretty random and it should either default to the first frame or allow user selection to be made after upload.

Randomly choosing a video frame as a thumbnail should be considered a bug.

OneDrive Archive

Feedback and Knowledge Base