OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Allow me to rename my onedrive folder name. The nomenclature "OneDrive - Your Company Name" is unnecessarily long

The file path limit of 256 characters is very limiting and annoying in and of itself. It is crazy that the mandatory folder name for the OneDrive for business folder is "OneDrive - Your Business Name". For my business, this adds on almost 20 characters! I already have a cloud service and when I tried to drag my folders over, many files will not sync simply because of this long folder name. I am forced to go back and re-work my folder and file structure.

95 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Si shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Carol OConnor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also am hoping to use OneDrive for a company that is transitioning to all O365 tools, but some people have to access one drive from more than one user and is is nearly impossible to keep straight which is which when restricted to (1), (2) after the name to differentiate. This makes OneDrive for business relatively unusable for organizations.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow me to change the OneDrive for business folder name on my local drive. I have several accounts under my company and some people log in to multiple onedrive folders. Onedrive - Company Name(1), OnDrive - Company Name(2) pretty much sucks.

• foadsf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It must be a cause of shame for microsoft to come up with such a ****** software. apart from all other issues that OneDrive causing now I'm not able to run many of the programs inside the WSL just because my school name has spaces in it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The folder name is too long. It’s very unfriendly to programmers. Our school name is more than 30 letters long, and it include spaces, typing this directory name everyday when I program is very annoying

• Stef Korson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This limitation is very frustrating. Makes certain document library folders completely unusable due to a ridiculously long name. My company already has a long name with non-standard characters, then users create a library with a long name as well. Result = absolutely no chance of this working properly.
        Come on Microsoft, this is such a basic feature of renaming a folder and competing products do not suffer from this limitation.

• Darryl Rowe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Indeed. How about just naming the folder 1D or 1Drv it is STUPID in 2017 that Windows still balks at pathnames longer than 260 characters. FORCE everyone to use 8.3 filenames and maybe 8 character paths if you're going to do that. <mutter, mutter, mutter>

• Rick Stockton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just got some great technical advise from Microsoft on this: Here's what I did:

1.) Got into my Office365 Admin and change my company name to a [much shorter] acronym.
        2.) Exit OneDrive on my PC. [Right-click OneDrive icon; Exit]
        3.) Log out of Office365 portal.
        3.) Sign back in to OneDrive on my PC.
        4.) The OneDrive sync folder now uses the acronym instead of the old long company name.
        4a.) OneDrive now syncs all of the files from the cloud down to the new location on the PC.
        5.) Got back into my Office365 Admin and changed my company name back to the [and much longer] full company name.

I rebooted, and the change appears to be persistent, but I will have to repeat this procedure should I choose to 'Exit' OneDrive.

It's worth it, though, and I love it.

OneDrive Archive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base