OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

OneDrive for Business and Windows Terminal Servers

I would like better integration with Windows Terminal Services. You have to create user rights in Office365 and Terminal Services if the files are housed in a drive other than C: on the terminal server. This is of course double work. The other option is to load OneDrive in the user profiles on the C:. This avoids the need to manage rights on the terminal server and only through Office365, but it saves the files multiple times and eats up space. There should be a way to control rights only through Office365 and save the file only once on the terminal server.

73 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Hunter Metoyer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kirt Fields commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In our case we are using Server 2012 R2 so Quick Access is not an option. We tried using Favorites with drive redirection, but it did not seem reliable between sessions.

We wound up mapping a network drive back to the users local laptop SPO folder from their server session. Performance and stability seems to be better than the Favorite.

We only have a few users that need this so we manually mapped them making sure to have them reconnect at logon.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On my Windows Server 2016 terminal server, I found the solution of adding the \\tsclient\c\users\%username%\Sharepointfolder\Library to the Quick access in Windows Explorer gave the access needed for SharePoint and OneDrive files.

This keeps data off the TS environment and roaming profiles, while giving persistent access to the required data locations and maintain the Cloud backups of the files.

• Gunnar Winter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

looks like Microsoft will offer on demand cloud file access with Windows 10 later this year. But in the time being there’s already a great tool on the market: https://konnekt.io. It’s not only bring back placeholders to Windows 10, it’s also working with earlier versions of Windows and – best of all – Citrix and Terminal Server. In addition it supports UNC connectivity and drive letter mapping based on a native network provider for Office 365.

Integrated into Windows Explorer the tool makes the whole Office 365 (Sharepoint Online, Groups, Onedrive) world browsable like folder shares and structures on file servers.

Disclaimer: I am working for the company behind the tool and I am happy to personally answer questions or send a trial to anyone interested.

Best regards,
    Gunnar

OneDrive Archive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base