OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Allow OneDrive to sync to a folder that already exists

This would be helpful in a corporate environment so that you could redirect your user folders to your OneDrive for business folder (Desktop / Documents / ETC) with GPO and have them sync their user files to the cloud automatically. Then in the case of a lost/Stolen and possibly Cryptolocked laptop you can retrieve the users files without effecting their ability to use them when not in the office.

A previous version actually allowed for this to work, however the newest version (17.3.6381.0405) stops you from using a folder that already exists.

77 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jeremy Siddon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • NG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are trying to migrate from BOX and some of the files are missing - the OneDrive Sync is useless it is only 20GB of data and it is just "Looking for changes" for last hour or so.

In case I had a way to copy paste or just drop the whole folder and one drive would have checked - if the file/folder exist skip it or copy/create it - this is what happens when we drop a existing folder to windows explorer right?

• Linas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am not sure what you are talking about we do this all the time
    we redirect every users desktop documents and favorites to OneDrive as default
    what I do is copy the folder to OneDrive fix any file name problems
    them I change the folders location to OneDrive folder it sync's and done?

• Stephen Polzin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be helpful in any environment including personal. It seems like a feature that one would expect to be a standard no-brainer.

• Simon Goldsmith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be very useful as we use Folder Redirection to OneDrive and every time a users profile needs to be recreated, have to recreate OneDrive, we then get synch errors, 'Documents folder already exists'.

Fix, going into OneDrive and rename old Documents folder, Log off, Log On, Folder Redirection applies creates new Documents folder in OneDrive, then manually move data into new Documents folder, allowing Folder Redirection to work again.

OneDrive Archive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base