OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Manual "Sync Now" Button

Add a button on local OneDrive devices (Windows, Mac, Android, etc.) that allows users to force-sync OneDrive immediately instead of waiting for the cloud to auto-sync hours later.

90 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Matthew shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Stein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this would be very usefull.
    Now it can take ages for OneDrive to sync.
    If I take a photo, there is no way for me to sync this with OneDrive, and I just have to wait....

• Vaughan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I add a file to Onedrive on my device, the file appears on the cloud but NOT on my local drive. This happens at least once a week. I need to reboot to make Onedrive sync.
    Please fix this to make Onedrive a reliable cloud storage solution.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sync Now is important. Could also be implemented as a right-click option on a OneDrive folder to force prioritization of syncing specific folder(s).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A "Sync Now" button would resolve issues we have daily with two individuals sharing a spreadsheet.

In order to do a Mail Merge from that shared spreadsheet, both of us must close the sheet and wait for my local copy to be synced. The workaround, of course, is to download a copy, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of OneDrive?

Please, please: Sync NOW!

• Lucy Digby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneDrive Sync has been racked with problems for EVER !!
    Unlike competition services such as DropBox (which has very few such errors).
    It is a core functionality !!!
    I upgraded to 1Tb storage to backup photos about a YEAR ago now and have NEVER been able to get the photos to sync online !!!
    Eventually, one has to admit that OneDrive (for Mac) totally sucks !!!

OneDrive for Mac says it is up to date with 60Gb of my files online, but I have 120Gb of files in my OneDrive folder.Many folders have green "sync complete" icons, but many have the cycle "sync in progress" icon.
    Have deleted the app AND the "container" folders a few times with no change. i.e. it just says "processing changes" for an hour then says"Scanning files. OneDrive is uptodate".
    This saga has been going on for about a year now I have dropbox storage that NEVER has any sync problems, so it MUST be the fault of the software.
    I have checked and removed all "Microsoft incompatible" file name characters.

The software needs a simple "Force re-upload" option to override the INCORRECT sync complete faults.
    Have check via "web view" and recent files are NOT being uploaded.

The software also needs a "Sync Reset - Local storage has priority" option to remove all sync records to FORCE a new sync check with online files and merge.

• Conser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's why this is so important: Common scenario: user has multiple machines, uses file sync because File Explorer is faster and better than the web UI for OneDrive by far, and because connectivity in life is never 100%. Especially when the machine at home is a Surface Pro 3 or 4, i.e. essentially current generation. Does some work at the office. It’s saved to the local OneDrive disk cache, and sooner or later is uploaded to the cloud. And, sooner or later, the machine at home syncs those changes, storing it on the local OneDrive cache on the Surface.

The rub is the “sooner or later”: (1) The machine at work may need to be turned off before leaving. (Yes, best to leave them on for updates, but sometimes that’s not possible.) Being able to say “sync this directory right now, please” and know when it is finished would be tremendously useful in this case. (2) The Surface Pro at home may or may not have synced those files, and yet it’s time to power down and race to the airport. Being able to tell it, “sync this directory right now, please” and know when you can safely power it out would be a very good thing indeed.

This happens all the time. Cranking out a new talk on a home desktop, go pack, and an hour later, the file has not migrated to my Surface Pro. My wife works on some files in her office, comes home, and when she looks on her Surface Pro, they aren’t there, despite having saved them 5 hours earlier at work. They made it to the cloud during that time, but not to her Surface Pro, which has been turned on and network connected the entire time.

Something like this will always be needed, The sync process is ******* to network speeds, which simply aren’t under your (or anyone’s) control. That’s a bottleneck that may never go away, given the arms race between network speeds and file sizes. And there’s the issue of time. We live in an intermittently disconnected world. How are my poor machines going to know that I’m disconnecting soon?

OneDrive Archive: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base