OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Prioritise the syncing of SharePoint libraries using the NGSC

As CTO, I introduced O365 to our company in 2011. I use OneDrive for my personal storage and OneDrive for Business for my work documents. I have promoted the use of SharePoint tirelessly in our company. But, OneDrive Team, this year you are losing my support. I have tried to hold back the spread of Dropbox with arguments about document security, acceptability to our clients, integration with our platform etc. It's been tough because Dropbox syncs to people's drives without errors, and SharePoint libraries don't. People who used ODFB prior to the NGSC got sync errors. A lot of sync errors. When the NGSC was announced last year, I rejoiced. Finally I can start migrating people's own stored documents to ODFB with the promise of unlimited storage, and we can start using SharePoint properly. I've been using the NGSC now for my ODFB since it was made available and it's worked without a problem. Then the last ODFB RoadMap was presented, showing that the syncing of SharePoint libraries using NGSC is committed but not scheduled - which seems to be saying end 2016. To see whether there had been any improvements in the reliabillity of the old sync client, a couple of weeks ago I set up a new library, synced it to my local drive and moved some documents into it that I (only I) am working on. I used it for about a week from one single computer. At the end of that week I spent about an hour resolving sync errors. I just got an email from one of my users this morning saying that they were getting errors syncing a SharePoint library. I've had enough. We have file servers we have to retire because offices are moving, so I can't wait for NGSC for SharePoint any longer. This morning I'm writing a proposal to introduce Dropbox for Business to locations that are moving so we don't have to move the file servers. I'd like to think that, when NGSC for SharePoint is finally released, I'll be able to pull people back to SharePoint, but frankly I'm sceptical. Delivering SharePoint library syncing with the new NGSC should have been of the highest priority for the OneDrive Team, not making slicker iOS apps.

44 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Phil shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Andrew Dickson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 Million

I'm sure many people are equally frustrated about this. I really feel Microsoft has let us down as loyal customers as we are evangelising a product which just doesn't meet the expectations of users around functionality and usability. It really feels like Microsoft just doesn't take this seriously, which is a shame.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would upvote this even more if I could, I am daily troubleshooting sync issues caused by the outdated client. Just because we decided to use Sharepoint to host the files.

OneDrive Archive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base