OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Slow download speed.

I have 1888 pictures and it's taken 24 hours to get to number 464. The wifi is strong here so that couldn't be the problem. Faster downloads speed.

79 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Hameerudin Zawawi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have found the (workaround) solution. TLDR: read last paragraph.

Forget about downloading your files via the browser. I've tried multiple methods to no avail (even moving all my files into one folder and downloading that folder as a singular file). OneDrive's zipping speeds bottleneck your download speed.

What worked for me was downloading all your files via the OneDrive app that you get from the Microsoft Store. For some reason the app doesn't download a "zipped" version of your files but instead syncs them one-by-one onto your designated File Explorer folder. Sync speeds match whatever internet speed you're on. At least for me I was able to download 1.8GB worth of files in a minute (which is how its supposed to be with my ISP speeds).

Hope this helps!

• Hameerudin Zawawi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have found the (workaround) solution. TLDR: read last paragraph.

Forget about downloading your files via the browser. I've tried multiple methods to no avail (even moving all my files into one folder and downloading that folder as a singular file). OneDrive's zipping speeds bottleneck your download speed.

What worked for me was downloading all your files via the OneDrive app that you get from the Microsoft Store (https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9WZDNCRFJ1P3). For some reason the app doesn't download a "zipped" version of your files but instead syncs them one-by-one onto your designated File Explorer folder. Sync speeds match whatever internet speed you're on. At least for me I was able to download 1.8GB worth of files in a minute (which is how its supposed to be with my ISP speeds).

Hope this helps!

• Jen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

just download the onedrive application on your desktop and it will sync it on your computer more faster than in your browser my browser's speed was 600kbps and when I tried on onedrive desktop application it was around 25mbps depends on your internet speed. by the way I was downloading 100gb + of data took me 4 hours

• Scott Stephens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The official OneDrive help says to make sure you are using wired and have nothing going on in the background on your computer, but those things have very little do with why my download speed is excruciatingly slow. Its great you can get 1TB of storage, but not so great if it takes forever to get your files back. I have 300mbps of internet service and have frequently downloaded at near max (wired or unwired) and on my 8th gen core-I7, M.2 SSD and 32GB of RAM, I'm maxing out at 5.35MB/s from OneDrive. Its not terrible, but not great either when downloading large blocks. Come on! 300mbps is no problem for this computer and would amount to about 10 times the speed I'm getting from OneDrive. This is a paid service, if you can afford the bandwidth, then you just need charge what is necessary to get it done.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It’s been more than two years and i am unable to get back all the files from onedrive back to my hard drive.

Uploading files is quite easy and it seems like it is very useful. So i bought the premium subscription of one drive but it all led to a trap.

I have uploaded more than 70GB files. Whenever i tried to download back the files, it always fails. With hi-speed internet, used every possible browers and best tech gadgets from apple or google, m un able to download back the files.

Even to download 362 mb folder from one drive it takes more than a hour and most of the time the downloading fails.

Consulted so many times with the customer care and followed their advices but it all went in vain. Nothing works.

So once you download the files. Remember you wont be getting back and at the end you have to subscribe the premium.

You can access your file but they wont let you download once you choose multiple files doesn’t matter the size is too small or large.

And most irritating part is, whenever you view your uploaded photos in app or desktop, one drive will always lag. Even when you scroll up and down. It will lag.

Don’t ever use it for uploading photos and heavy files. Chances are you never gonna have it back.

• urfazer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

after i finished download my 50gb of photo backups ill close my onedrive account, this is ridiculous and a fraudulent business model... everthing microsoft touched in a while turned to sh*t

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its a deliberate move from microsoft to stop people ever migrating to any other service.

It's quite clever really, even trying to post this comment Microsoft have gained something as I am forced o agree to them keeping data on me such as my email address and IP address.

It's similar to how companies use expensive phone charges on their complaint lines, they still cash in when performing poorly.

• K.L. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am getting about 1.5MB/s from OneDrive.

tptest.se gives me an estimated internet speed (via wired connection) of 870 Mbit/s

I just paid for OneDrive+50 for one month, so I will have time to download my 25GB of files that will otherwise freeze tomorrow.

I will not consider OneDrive a valid cloud backup with these atrocious download speeds. I will get my photos and cancel my subscription ASAP. For shame, Microsoft.

I guys, I have 100GB photos to download in 1 month and finally found a solution, here its:

- Go for trial or buy monthly 1st to un-frozen your account

- Install Onedrive to your computer, the photo will apprear in your onedriver folder in Computer (although it's not yet physically downloaded to your computer)

- Connect your 1TB external hardrive (or simply skip this step if you have many GB left in your computer)

- Choose photos which appeared in Onedrive folder on your computer, simply Ctrl X (cut them) and Past it to your External hard drive (or a folder in your Computer if u have much GB left in computer.

- The Onedrive app (installed in your Computer) will start to download the photo (with the speed of your internet connection, its 2MB/s my case, and not 5x kb/s as download from Onedrive website)...after the download, that same photo will be move immediatetly to you new foder (in the external drive) and you will see that Onedrive app will have notificaltion: "photo 20170101 has been downloaded" and then above it "photo 20170101 has been remove from Onedrive.

- Wait for the empty Onedrive folder in computer to sync with Onedrive on website and you have an Empty Onedrive folder everywhere,
    Cheers

Same issue. Im thinking of deleting all my photo since 2007 because it's impossible to download more than 100GB

• wim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

onedrive is absolute ********. trying to download 15GB at 100kb/sec.
    ****** amateurs. i will never use this service again.

• vm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this download speed is ridiculous. I just spent about eight hours trying to download stuff. A 6 gb download timed out after several hours wasting time. so what are we supposed to do, download in small chunks? this is not the 1990s.

• DT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lol these fulls have 'frozen' my onedrive because i 'went over the limit' which was 20GB once since i bought their Lumia phone. now im forced to clean up the account and it takes HOURS to download the content. I'm for sure cleaning it up FOR GOOD and never dealing with onedrive again.

• sagar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is anyone from Mircosoft even reading these troubles? or is it just a waste of time to write here.

So many users complaining download speeds and want to leave your service, do you not care Microsoft? why this attitude.

I have 91 gb and my subscription expired, I will for sure, not renew after seeing these speeds.

• Alice Pozitivovna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Solution is only to migrate to Google drive or dropbox. I have to download 600gb and the speed is 900kbps maximum! Will unsubscribe for sure

• KNGanesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any solution for this? I am trying to download from onedrive.live.com. I am just getting 33kbps! From other sites I can get 75MBps.

• Mark Scheel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am having the same problem with Powerpoint files only. So it would seem to be a protocol problem related to a recent Microsoft "upgrades" and "fixes". I was not having problems a month ago, but now a relatively small file takes 5-minutes to download. Even when hardwired to the network.

• Rasyid Ridh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I dont have any problem with folder sync. but downloading files from web (onedrive.live.com) is very very very slow

← Previous 1

OneDrive Archive: Photos

Feedback and Knowledge Base