OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Allow users to rename the synced folder in the new sync client of OneDrive for Business.

Allow users to rename the synced folder in the new sync client of OneDrive for Business and also allow users to specify the location of the synced folder on their pc.

This is required because the combination of the default name (One Drive - [company name] + default location (C:\Users\[user name]\default synced folder name) generates a file path that is often too long so files cannot be synced.

Keep in mind, that typically the files you want to sync are already under a file path - that you want to keep under the synced folder.

62 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Weronica commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As mentionend earlier - we have a need to sync several accounts to some users. They all get almost same name except for (1), (2) etc. in the end of the name. It will be much easier to handle the correct OneDrive for Business if synced folder could be renamed.

Thanks

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like this feature added . It would be a great way for troubleshooting sync problems renaming OneDrive-company folder to OneDrive-Company.old would be great . Or recreating the folder from Scratch .

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am looking for exactly this feature in OneDrive for Business for all of the reasons mentioned so far. I need to sync a couple of different accounts, and also need to sync a local copy of a document repository. Since I don't have direct control over the lengths of filenames and paths in the repo, I need to be able to limit the path of the OneDrive location to something very short, like c:\onedrive\.

Also, I also use command line text utilities in Bash (Ubuntu on Windows), so having spaces in the path is problematic.

Being stuck with a very long name with spaces and a comma, means about the only thing I can take advantage of OneDrive for is syncing OneNote and some other MS Office documents, but not much else.

• Dan Altheimer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also like this idea for another reason.
    Our company has multiple users that have, no only their OneDrive account sync, but an additional "general" OneDrive account (among others) - so multiple sync clients run and there's several entries in the left side browse view of explorer - but these entries all just say the tenant name (1) or tenant name (2).
    Being able to rename these in order to properly KNOW which one is which would be highly beneficial.

OneDrive Archive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base