OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Fix incorrect calculation of remaining free space when using Symbolic Links

Creating a SymLink in the local OneDrive folder to another drive may incorrectly disable the "OK" button in the selective folder sync dialog. Reason: the calculated remaining free space on the local drive (used for the OneDrive folder) is incorrect.

Example:
Drive C (size 200 GB, 150 GB free) contains the OneDrive folder which contains a Symbolic Link to D:\syncme
Drive D (size 1000 GB) contains 300 GB content in D:\syncme
=> The remaining free space on C is being calculated as -150 GB (or less), i.e. the OK button cannot be selected, even though there is still free space on drive C

76 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Ralf shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • marwerno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still a problem.
    Voting is closed, but has it been submitted to Microsoft?
    Is MS working on this at all?
    As many have said:
    Disabling the check would work for most. I mean, they still can pop-up a warning about too little space, but at least give me an enabled OK button!

• MR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried winabler - I could click OK, but it still gave me an error, and I still had an endless loop of looking for changes.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have this exact problem. Symbolic links (actual files still residing on another drive) are incorrectly calculated as residing on the C: drive and I cannot sync anything more. This is highly annoying and makes OneDrive useless. Please fix this issue!

• Alexander Yakunin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's crazy how long it takes to fix such a simple issue -- just remove the check!

This is the second time I try to switch to OneDrive and getting a show-stopper again.

Guys, do you really want it to be used?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This problem also occurs when mounting a drive to an empty folder in OneDrive: the space of the volume is not included in the overly-simplistic calculation.

This isn't DOS, Microsoft...

• Starik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey guys! I fixed this issue. I created empty volume with TrueCrypt. With dynamic space. Virtual 3Tb with 100kb file on disk. And then moved onedrive folder into it. Works great.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, would be great if OneDrive developers can fix this issue. As for me, I use symbolic links to sync all my photographies between OneDrive and a dedicated micro SD card inserted in the back of my Surface Pro 4
    Worked great 'till I had to reinstall OneDrive and couldn't sync again for not enough space according OneDrive setup window.
    Kind Regards

• Pip Rees commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would fix so many issues I've been having since starting to use junctions to manage my file-structure, really hope you (or someone) can implement a fix for this super-annoying issue.

Related; the sync client often crashes when a symlinked folder/drive is ejected and we have to re-link the account to fix it. I've lost days of work time to this, but since Smart Files we're removed and are months away from a working implementation of those, finding a workflow that didn't involve Junctions would mean spending hundreds on higher-spec hardware.

• Yaakov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Occurs with me too - I use NTFS junctions. They work great for normal syncing, but the selective sync dialog doesn't work. This doesn't bother me day to day, but it is annoying when you want to make some changes (you can't as no OK button), and a deal breaker when unlinking/re linking an account as the selective sync dialog is an unskippable part of the set up wizard.

Just to clarify, you can be fully synced, then you open the dialog, *make no changes*, and yet the OK button is greyed out as apparently your selected option will leave you with a negative amount of space. The dialog doesn't realise that the stuff is downloaded already. The sync client itself knows, but the silly dialog doesn't.

• Ralf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Easy fix: disable the routine checking for free space, i.e. OK button can be clicked even if there is not enough local disk space (this may occur at any time after selecting folders anyways)

OneDrive Archive: Bugs

Feedback and Knowledge Base