OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Accept special characters in filenames.

Some of my clients use #'s and other characters in their filenames, which causes that the files are not synced (i.e. the whole idea of access from different places is non-existent) and I'm getting sync errors continuously. OneDrive waits for my response, but I'm not allowed to change clients filename structure. Thus, the OneDrive is super annoying.

54 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Vladimir shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sherry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any fixes yet? I just paid $70 for something I can't use. This is ridiculous.

• Danny Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Coming back in today after the Thanksgiving break, suddenly OneDrive has successfully uploaded all my files with problematic characters. I could find no news, it doesn't appear in the release notes for recent client updates. Maybe it was something on the back end service.

• David Legrand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had also the issue when I synced MacBook laptops with OneDrive. I spent a lot of time to understand and find an appropriate solution.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also | and “ are very high on my list of characters to be supported, as they are very commonly used in Web page titles.

This was from an end-user who uses the Mac client.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many countries cannot use characters common to their language, for example German umlauts. At the very least a valid Windows filename should be valid in OneDrive. If OneDrive wants to be platform agnostic, it should also allow any special characters that might be valid in Android, macOS, iOS and Linux.

• Kash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Restriction on use of special characters in file names is really annoying. Non of other file sharing spaces like dropbox or google drive have that. Files are not always generated by one person, and each time I have to change the name in order to be able to share on one drive. Very unproductive and causes issues.

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FFS, yes. Quote marks aren't even allowed. How can Microsoft be using 1990s file-structure restrictions in their storage in the 2010s cloud? Literally NO other cloud storage software has this ridiculous, 20-years-solved restriction.

OneDrive Archive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base