OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Fix "a newer version is installed" and OneDrive failure to launch with version mismatch with roaming profiles

Please fix compatibility issues with Roaming Profiles

Scenario 1 – can’t install NGSC on a second computer after update

The automatic update not only updates the OneDrive.exe in the local profile, but also the registry, which roams with the user. When the user logs onto a new computer and NGSC tries to run OneDriveSetup for the user, it sees the registry key and delivers a message saying a newer version is installed. By deleting HKCU\Software\Microsoft\OneDrive, NGSC will install.

Scenario 2 – registry version mismatch between updated and non-updated OneDrive.exe when roaming

If NGSC installs for the user on a second computer, but the update doesn’t occur, the registry refers to the older version (1021). When the user then logs off, the registry is uploaded to the roaming profile. The user logs back onto their primary computer with the newer version (1212) installed, and OneDrive.exe will not run because the versions do not match.

87 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Rhonda Lea Fries commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More than one year later, this is still broken. Thankfully, the OP solved the problem.

You're my hero, Anonymous. Microsoft, not so much.

• caryn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same issue but need more details to fix. where do I find the registry key?

• Byron Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This worked perfectly. I have seen this happen now on 3 machines. All Windows 10 Pro and All around the same time. MSFT needs to fix this because regular consumers wont be able to fix this easily.

• x51 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This helped. Thank you.

I don't use roaming profiles, but after the last major Windows 10 update, Onedrive stopped working for 2 users. When manually starting Onedrive, it said "Preparing for first use" followed by "There is a newer version installed". That's just like Microsoft to break their own products. Of course downloading the latest version right from Microsoft's official Onedrive site had the same error at install: "There is a new version installed".

Going to the registry Key (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\OneDrive) and changing the version value from 18.x.x.x to 17.x.x.x allowed the latest manual download from Microsoft to install properly and it is now working again.

• alan rishworth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

how can Microsoft have made such a mess of developing onedrive so many times for so many years?
    it's been a shambles. more time should be spent getting software right and less messing up the GUI since W7

• Computermensch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft - this means Windows 10 does not work for business users with respect to Onedrive!!!

You are crazy not to fix this. Business users does not participate in consumer voting. Please work holistically! Rather than the me-me-me approach.

OneDrive Archive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base