OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

ACTUALLY Enable long file path for OneDrive for Business

This is a repost of https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/13697118-enable-long-file-path-for-onedrive-for-business

because Jason Moore marked the previous suggestion as "BOOM IT's DONE" .... but he linked to an article that DOES NOT reference long file paths at all!... so everything indicates that it's NOT done...

39 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
William shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are struggling with exactly the same issue . File name's too long. Microsoft must alow longer names for ONE Drive.

• Richard Allarton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Al,

No irony here is there! I preferred Dropbox, but corporately we are forced to use this second rate system that firstly couldn't hand the number of files I have to store, and now can't handle long file names (which windows can, so my file structure is not unreasonable).

• Tim Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using Long Path Tool program serves to solve errors related to long path files.

• Al in Massachusetts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, please allow us to place our OneDrive in a location where we want to! I'm new to OD4B, coming from Dropbox.

With Dropbox, I could have a simple path such as c:\Dropbox

But with OD4B, I have C:\Users\Username\OneDrive - Very long business name, LLC

For me, it is a difference between 10 characters and 65 characters. When the max length of a file path is 260 characters, the difference of 55 characters is VERY significant.

I spent quite some time with a Microsoft rep yesterday simply trying to change the name of my business, from 'very long business name, LLC' to 'nickname', but couldn't even manage to do that. Very frustrating!

OneDrive Archive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base