OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Local Disk Storage Limits

Save our users from themselves.

We desperately need a solution to limit how much data is synced to the local disk by the OneDrive Sync Client. In an Enterprise scenario, where it's beneficial to allow large amounts of storage in the cloud, there is often not enough local storage to accommodate a user's full data store. Selective sync doesn't satisfy organizational concerns about using up local disk space. Even files-on-demand is leaving a lot of trepidation at the management level. Users will typically just choose to sync everything without thinking of the consequences.

I propose an enforceable policy (GPO or just registry) that can be managed by administrative staff to enofrce a cap on the amount of local sync space in the client. A notification to the user about what is happening would also be needed, rather than just a sync failure.

Please consider.
Thank you.

30 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Dave Dyer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • cmiller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this not a thing? I have a 1TB account with 150GB free on a 500GB SSD. I need to be able to limit my OneDrive for Business to my most recent 50GB or so..

• JC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suggest a client setting that allows users to set a limit (maximum) on how much local drive space to sync or that sets an amount of local available disk space which the OneDrive client won't go beyond. Then include GPOs for setting a default value for this setting which users can optionally override and/or a policy that users can't override.

• Dave Dyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Myles. Thanks for the suggestion. This has been considered, but syncing is still a desired featured. The key is creating a safeguard.

OneDrive Archive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base