OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Add Back .txt Text Editor Option

On OneDrive.com, add back the option to edit text files. Starting around 12/20/17, the option to Open and edit a text file by right clicking disappeared.

However, it's possible to get back to the editor by using part of the link below.

https://onedrive.live.com/?v=TextFileEditor

Please fix this bug as this is a key functionality to edit simple text files.

65 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Robert shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • walterdshort@gmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried adding "&v=TextFileEditor" or "$v=TextFileEditor" as mentioned in two of the comments on this post and could not get it to work, although I tried all kinds of combinations and permutations.

• walterdshort@gmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just tried to add a capability to share a .txt file for editing on onedrive and eventually found these comments about the .txt editing capability having recently been removed from onedrive. Does onedrive have an explanation for this capability removal?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still not fixed. Irritating. So amazing "stupid" you cannot edit text files anymore by clicking on a button.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also would like this feature added back as I use the plain text editor multiple times per week. Thank you for adding the URL extension Anonymous.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another way I found that is easier is to just add "&v=TextFileEditor" to the end of the URL and it will automatically readjust the URL and take you to the editor.

Please fix this soon MS.

OneDrive Archive: Bugs

Feedback and Knowledge Base