OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Use local server as cache for off-line file access and on-premise backups

Most businesses cannot forego the use of local file server storage. They want offline access to files, they need their storage to be compatible with Line of Business (LOB) software and they need local networking speeds.

By providing a "local OneDrive cache" that can run on a Windows Server, customers would be able to benefit from local network performance and offline (no internet) access to shared files. Maybe more importantly, businesses could backup their OneDrive data through their regular backups software therefore getting rid of three major business objections in one go and paving the way for wider adoption.

Ideally, all local operations (on-net) would run on the local file server and then be asynchronously replicated to OneDrive. That's exactly what EGnyte does and they offer a killer file storage cloud product for businesses.

132 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Guillaume Belanger shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jeremy Koch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still can't believe this isn't a thing!?!?!? Come on OneDrive and SharePoint teams! This is a really important thing for SMEs...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneDrive, Office365 Exchange...both would be awesome to use a local network cache server.
        I'd even be willing to pay extra for this as an add-on to our company's Office365 platform!

• Caleb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with all the comments below. A local OneDrive Cache would be a huge win and would convince our organization to move. (well that and global file locking)

Many of us are trying to replace or augment traditional shared drives with OneDrive for Business. However, many workstations, particularly those with SSD drives, don't have capacity to keep a complete copy of the shared drive locally and selective sync is a headache for the users.

The ideal solution would be an on-prem OneDrive for Business cache. Some folks are doing this with Dropbox by stashing everything in one account, syncing that to the fileserver, and creating a share, but this has it's draw backs as well.

There is a market for this functionality and MSFT is best poised to deliver. Microsoft has all the pieces (DFS, BrancheCache, OneDrive for Business, Sharepoint hybrid, etc) - they just need to put them together.

• Dieter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do something similar to Apples iCloud caching server. Any device on the same public ip address gets referred to the cache on the LAN by apples servers.

• CIMA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was coming on to post a similar thought. As I move more users to OneDrive for Business, I still want to retain control and visibility to what they're saving. My thought is that I could leverage an existing DFS infrastructure (or Linux NAS system) to act as a cache/staging platform, and all users go through that on the way to OneDrive -- my 1gbit->10gbit internal architecture being much better than our 50-100 mbit connection to the internet.

• Zita commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you want alternative then try Ahsay Backup Software. I use this software for backup. Ahsay Backup Software comes with dedicated backup modules for backing up VMware ESXi (both paid and free versions), Microsoft Hyper-V, Microsoft Exchange Server DAG, Microsoft Exchange Server database, Microsoft Exchange Server individual mailboxes, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL Database, Oracle Database, Lotus Domino / Notes, Windows System and Windows System State. Other applications and databases such as Microsoft Sharepoint can also be backed up using our flexible command line tool. You can check this software too. Thanks and check this software http://www.ahsay.com...s_overview&r=1d

I see that opening an "off-line" Word doc and then saving it has it being saved directly to the "cloud". This has caused a "loss of work" for several times. When the file is opened from an off-line location, it should behave primarily as an off-line file and only synced after-wards.
        If the behavior remains asprimarily an online service with these data issues, a different solution (that works to protect my work) will have to be found and the promise of "SkyDrive" aka "OneDrive" will need to reevaluated.

• Julius789 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've even looked into using CloudBacko pro but I have no experience with that. Just not sure what to go with and wanted to see what you guys would recommend. leaving a link below just check. http://www.cloudbacko.com/

• Allan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft already has technology similar to this called BranchCache. Would be great to see it evolved to support something like this.

OneDrive Archive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base