OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Add the auto tags back to source source files (my offline copies)

The auto tags feature is great!! I love it so much, I would love it to actually write those tags back to my offline copies of the files so that as I work with them in Lightfoot, WLPG or, really anything but onedrive.com, that same metadata is available.

This would need to be configurable on/ off as I'm sure some people don't want you messing with their pictures.

This supports the idea of truly portable files that are the same no matter where or how I look at them.

78 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jason Long shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The automatically generated tags are not "real" and usable unless the are actually written to the files themselves. People need to be able to have all Metadata available in the offline files (backups etc.) as well.

• ACV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that more user control is always welcome, but if it came down to it I would be willing to have an all-or-nothing approach: either I let OD read (and add, but not delete) tags on my .jpgs, or I don't.

i.e. no middle ground. If I turn off tagging, OD doesn't read the tags I've put in there nor does it look at the picture to see if there are people in it, or sky, or animals. If I turn on tagging OD reads my tags as well as looking at the photo to auto-tag, and those tags are added to the existing tags on the file (if they don't already exist).

• José Oliver-Didier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Somewhat cumbersome, but a workaround to down sync automatic tags to the photo files is:

The temporary tag method:

1. On OneDrive Photo Tags page select a tag, for example "Sky" - All photos assigned that tag, "Sky" will be displayed.
    2. Select all the photos displayed with that particular tag and click on "Edit Tag".
    3. Add the same tag with a "z" prepended, this will be a temporary tag. Example "zSky".
    4. Wait for OneDrive to sync the photos back to the PC. If you have a lot of photos with that tag and/or slow internet connection it may take a while.
    5. On your PC, open Window Photo Gallery. Search for all photos with "zSky".
    6. Select all photos with "zSky" and add the tag "Sky".
    7. Remove "zSky" tag in Windows Photo Gallery

The result is that the "Sky" tag is written to the source files. The files will sync back up to OneDrive with "Sky" and the temporary tag "zSky" is removed.

Another option could be developed if the automatic tags were to be exposed in the OneDrive API. That is if OneDrive does not directly provide a simpler way.

• José Oliver-Didier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree to a point. The user should always have control over the file.

I would prefer a "confirm tag" functionality in which the user can confirm whether or not the automatically added tag is relevant to the photo. Such confirmed tags should then be written back to the file.

OneDrive Archive: Photos

Feedback and Knowledge Base