OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

monitor sync

i need to be able to get an alert or extract from an endpoint or login to the admin portal to know when there is sync problem. currently, the only way to know if there's a sync problem is from the user - and by the time the user tells me, it's too late. again, either a dashboard in the Admin portal that shows the sync errors or i need to be able to extract some event ID, log file or other from an endpoint to identify when there's a problem to schedule time to correct the issue - or ensure we have a backup elsewhere

89 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ewan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2015? You sir are ahead of your time. 2017 and still no client side API endpoints for OneDrive Sync status/controls.

We're using Rodney Viana's Get-ODStatus - an extremely clever hack to monitor OneDrive sync status - he's sniffing the icon over to derive OneDrive client status. Rodney is a hero in my book for life!

Before we found this we were writing a flag file and watching the other side to see if the file sync to make assumptions about the client. Ack.

I'm waiting on baited breath for MSFT to release some OneDriveClient powershell modules - monitor status, get logs, basic controls (pause, restart, etc).

Anyway, posting this incase someone else stumbles into your prescient post and fine some use in Get-ODStatus.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/rodneyviana/2017/06/06/powershell-cmdlet-to-check-onedrive-for-business-or-onedrive-personal-status/

• Admin Victim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even with the NextGen client, sync errors occur. Due to the background nature of OneDrive, the users do not monitor OneDrive health. Therefore, there needs to be an administrative window into the OneDrive client base for monitoring sync status.

• Fredy Pulido commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure why this is not getting more votes but if this is an enterprise scale solution, system admins should be able to monitor the health of sync clients across the enterprise. Please add this crucial functionality. We need more insight and central management capability.

• Chris Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes definitely need a holistic view to be proactive about those pesky "users".....job security right?

• Micah Rairdon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would LOVE this for our environment. It seems a lot of our business members don't pay attention to the little icon telling them they have sync issues. We would love to be able to see the general health of sync clients across our org. Something like the Office telemetry server maybe?

• Matthew Matturro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea. I'm looking for something similar. If the OneDrive for Business sync didn't continually fail and require full repairs of the library, this wouldn't be an issue.

OneDrive Archive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base