OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Retitle or Rename File Should Not Break URL/Link

If the filename changes, this should not break the URL. A user may have shared a link/URL to a file and then changed the filename.

Please allow filenames to be changed and links to remaining working.

47 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Nicholas Kerzman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Scott Thrower commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree - this feature is crucial/critical to add, and will help drive more usage/adoption. Most people are constantly 'tweaking' filenames & folder, structure so the URL to access the file should be independent of filename/folder path ... since everything is cloud-hosted/ flat ( linked only)

• Nathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this! We have moved from Livelink to Sharepoint and One Drive and lost this very useful feature.

• Carry Megens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Strange things is that for ths DocID feature was developed. Yet, when you add DocId to a modern library, when you get a link to the document the standard view/edit link is presented NOT the permanent DocID link.

• Peter Cerrato commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Basic computer science: links/naming creates a layer of abstraction shielding you from underlying changes.

Please make this work!

• Janice Gatchell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a huge problem. This needs to be fixed. Google figured it out. You need to change the link to contain a doc id so that links remain absolute when file or folder name changes. This should be the case in all SharePoint sites, one drive, O365 groups, OneDrive etc.

• Hubert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wholeheartedly agree. Also when obtaining a URL for a document, the one presented in the Browser address field is different to that from the "Get Link" function.

Using embedded URLs in documents to help people find referenced documents quickly and correctly is one of the strengths of a proper collaborative platform.

There are plenty of reasons why a filename has to change. One big one is having a version number included. For all I know there are legions of other documents referencing my newly issued version of a document.

• Marie Steinthaler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a huge issue. I am so used to sharing URLs from Google Drive / Dropbox and not having to worry about changing names of files, folders, etc. but apparently this is an issue on OneDrive. Can't believe it.

OneDrive Archive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base