Selective Sync + Smart File Hybrid
Both placeholder files & selective sync both have their pros and cons. Please think about taking the pros from both and creating an innovative hybrid (Pros & Cons section below).
======== Hybrid Explaination ========
The 2 parts of this hybrid feature:
(1) Selective sync selects the folders to appear.
(2) Allow these files/folders from (1) to be right-clicked & kept online, so they can be treated as placeholders.
1] For folders that are non important for one desktop/laptop, we can leave them out entirely.
2] For the important folders with large files (projects, videos, ISOs), we can see everything but not have them take space.
======== Pros & Cons ========
+ Very effective way to manage the little space; We could right click on a file and hit download or remove, very quickly.
- It unfortunately created tens of thousands of small files, which slowed down sync.
Selective Sync Pro:
+ It removed the tens of thousands of unneeded files to speed up syncing.
Selective Sync Con:
- For those with an enormous number of files, whats "out of sight is out of mind"; meaning we may forget we already created a file in the past.
- Not user friendly. It is a big hassle to go through the process of r-click OneDrive » Choose Folder » Navigate to the file » [Un]Check » OK.
======== Example of Use ========
(1) The media box does not need school/finacial docs nor large programming projects.
Use selective sync to remove them entirely
(2) The media box may not have enough space for all the videos you have backed up.
Use placeholder files to recover space, and:
(a) Know you have the video series because you see the placeholder
(b) Have quick download access to the video with a simple right click menu.
Hi folks – Appreciate the thinking and write-up. We’ve spent some time thinking about this and it’s unlikely to be our approach. That’s partly because it really compromises both sides – one of the reasons people like selective sync is the simplicity of what it means. And on the other side, placeholders allowed you to see everything without having to decide on syncing.
Keep the ideas coming!
Chris Hoffecker commented
How about just having OneDrive sync a shortcut for files that are stored online only. You know, the feature already built in to windows. Make Windows links like Android and iOS links so that it can be filtered to not launch a browser. (Hey Continuum features...)
The shortcut can be a direct link to the file online.
The link can be a 'secure' random url that doesn't require authentication or just the direct url that does require authentication.
Bonus: provide an option to opt-in to the random, since certain situations will benefit from no web authentication for a seamless experience and servers won't have to choke on url generation.
Eulises Melo commented
Nice suggestions this has been address in the onedrive desktop version by me and others. The solution will be to specify the folders to sync with onedrive at the installation... move the files you want there. Takes care of both problems for user friendly implementation for an existing structure you will implement the same but allowing exclusion of sync files... GO AHEAD AND PUT ME IN THE PAYROLLL...