OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Bitlocker and OneDrive

OneDrive should be able to recognize that the OneDrive-folder is on a directory which is protected by Bitlocker. If you start the computer and OneDrive can't open the folder because it is still locked, OneDrive should ask to unlock this drive first before ask you to reallocate the folder.

69 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Subodh Patil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As of today in Jan 2018, this is still an open problem.
    I have my one drive for business which is actually 'GROOVE.EXE' located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16 configured to sync share point libraries on D drive.
    The D drive is bitlocker protected .
    From task manager I have disabled one drive for business to start on windows start

however when i start i am not sure how does one drive for business starts and fails.
    Bad think is it looses all the local synch configration and one has to start again.

• Angel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is how I solved this: So OneDrive in a secondary drive that has BitLocker enabled.

Problem is OneDrive should start and prompt for the drive to be unlocked, rather than crash and assume all needs to be set up again.

To fix you need to 1. Stop OneDrive from starting at boot + 2. Start OneDrive automatically when the drive is ready/unlocked.

1. In OneDrive settings just untick the "Start OneDrive automatically when I sign in to Windows"

2. Open "Task Scheduler"

3. Click "Action" - "Create Task" (not basic)

4. Change these settings (leaving the rest as defaults):

a) General tab
    Name: Start OneDrive after BitLocker

b) Triggers tab - New...
    Begin the task: On an event
    Log: Microsoft-Windows-BitLocker-API/Management
    Event ID: 782

c) Actions tab - New...
    Action: Start a program
    Program/script: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe
    Add arguments: /background

d) Conditions tab
    Untick "Start the task only if the computer is on AC power"

5. Done

So now OneDrive should not start after boot/logon and as soon as you unlock the encrypted drive OneDrive will start automatically.

• Thijs Tijma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seems to have been implemented in the past few months. I upvoted this yesterday and tested it today, but OneDrive just tells me that the drive D: (which is BitLocker encrypted) is unavailable and gives me the option to Retry or Setup OneDrive again.

The nice thing is, once I unlocked my drive it automatically continued working.

• Mike R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES!

This article describes basically the only issue I have with Windows.

Just like the other people on this thread, I have two drives and the non OS one is encrypted via bitlocker. As it is a laptop I travel with frequently, it get's restarted regularly. As a Technical Engineer, I can disable OneDrive from starting automatically, however twice i've started Onedrive before unlocking the encrypted drive.

Doing this is where our issue comes in, because OneDrive completely loses the progress of it's previous 75+ GB's it has synced and starts a new sync in a new folder.

This is very aggravating and I have seen other threads online with others leaving OneDrive until this get's fixed. I just hope it is soon, there is no reason OneDrive can't realize something is encrypted using BITLOCKER.

• Brandon Waterloo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm running into this same issue as well. I'd prefer not to have to enable BitLocker on my solid state drive but for now the OneDrive reset after each reboot is proving too painful.

• SandRock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BTW don't reply saying I should encrypt my main partition in order to auto-unlock all protected partitions. I do not wish to encrypt the main partition. I do not have a SSD on this PC and encrypting the main partition would be too big a performance hit.

• SandRock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, Yes please.

I have a system partition that does not use Bitlocker. I have a data partition that uses Bitlocker. The data partition contains my OneDrive (desktop) folder. Every f*****g time the PC starts, OneDrive says "We couldn't find the location of your OneDrive folder" and OneDrive UNCONFIGURES itself.

This means every time my computer starts I have to reconfigure onedrive and a super-very long sync operation occurs. This is so bad.

Please publish a fast fix where OneDrive does not loose its configuration when the drive is still locked. I will kill the process and start it again when the drive is unlocked.

Please work on a more stable fix where OneDrive waits for the drive to be available.

OneDrive Archive: Bugs

Feedback and Knowledge Base