OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive Archive

This forum has been closed but you can go to https://onedrive.uservoice.com to find, submit and vote on ideas.

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service" and "your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product. You can shake your mobile app or tap the ? then select “Email OneDrive support” from the website.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. OneDrive Files On-Demand

Allow an online sync only for OneDrive, like Windows 8.1 file explorer did.
    Most of PC don't have enough storage to keep files on HDD.
    That will really improve productivity !

26,092 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1207 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m proud to announce that OneDrive Files On-Demand is now rolling out with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (https://twitter.com/onedrive/status/920288442965164033). Whether you use a personal OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint Online, you can now browse all your files without filling up your disk and take advantage of the rich features of File Explorer. Read more about how you can start using OneDrive Files On-Demand & skip ahead if it hasn’t been rolled out to you yet (https://t.co/YFxsqB3JNb). Learn more about deploying Files On-Demand in your organization (https://t.co/zjAQJnbQlo). Thanks to all of you for the emphatic support, and a special thanks to our incredible self-hosters in the Windows Insider Program!

2. Enable long file paths (aka "File Name Too Long" problem when syncing)

As a developer, I have deeply nested file structures with sometimes arduously long file names. I am unable to use OneDrive as it stands now because of this. I would like to suggest that this limitation be removed. I understand that it's probably a fundamental infrastructure issue but it's severely hampering Onedrive when compared to other competitors out there right now, despite all the other cool features.

5,711 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1029 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve enabled significantly longer paths for your personal OneDrive in our latest Windows and Mac releases (available from http://onedrive.com/download). You should be able to use paths up to 430 characters from the root of your local OneDrive sync folder. Our telemetry tells us this covers the vast majority of customers who have hit max path issues in the past. Note that if you have over 90 characters in your local OneDrive path (that is, from drive letter to OneDrive\) you will see characters over 90 cut into the budget of 430 characters (93 character local path will mean 427 characters available for path in the OneDrive folder).

3. Option to Pause / Resume sync on Windows

Please add the functionality to pause / resume syncing form the icon in the Notification Area in Windows 7. I believe the version of OneDrive for Windows 8 already has this feature.

This feature is essential for me, and I use it frequently on Dropbox. It is ideal when on a slower internet connection, or when I am gaming online and want as little internet traffic as possible.

[Update: merged Win10 into this idea and changed from Win7 to Win10 as this suggestion will apply to both][

5,016 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    273 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Show detailed synced status (speed, time, files...)

We ar efrustrated by endless processing changes and never know what is doing. Show us what OneDrive is doung:
    - updating files xxx of xxxx
    - time to coplete cca xx seconds/minutes
    - uploading at xxkb/s
    - files remaining
    - files that is curently in sync

3,853 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    183 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We recently began rolling out our new activity center which shows the files that are sync’ing, have recently sync’d, and more. There’s more to do so please create individual requests for features you’d like to see in upcoming releases.

5. respect metered connections in Windows 10

In Windows 8.1, OneDrive would detect whether the internet connection was a metered (data-capped) connection or not and would automatically pause syncing until it was connected to a non-metered network. This functionality seems to have been removed in Windows 10. Please bring it back.

2,268 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    229 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Universal App for Windows 10

There should be an universal app for Windows 10 on the Store, just like dropbox did. In Windows 8 we had the files and folders placeholders, which allow you to search and organize directly from file explorer, without that you've to either sync everything or go to outlook.com. Sync everything is not really helpful if you have to many files or limited space (like in a tablet), going to the website its just a drag... an App would cover those scenarios. Its about giving users options

1,256 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    22 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow OneDrive to sync to removable media on Windows

I store many files on OneDrive so I can access them on multiple devices. Many slates/tablets don't have a lot of storage, but do allow for SD cards. Syncing to an SD card would allow me more storage to have files available off line.

I'd want this option even if it required the SD card could no longer be removed (I don't take it out as it is), or if OneDrive became "unavailable" if the card was removed.

850 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    107 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. SYNC SPEED IMPROVEMENT - Desktop Sync Speed Makes Syncing Impractical

There have been several posts here before marked as "Boom It's Done" or referred to support. HOWEVER -- this is not a support issue, and I suggest you treat it as a serious problem with the product.

I have 1.45Mbps download speed (tested on speedtest.net) and it has taken more than a week to sync 2.4GiB of my files. According to a download speed calculator, this should take only ~ 4 hours. I have set my computer not to sleep to make sure the synchronization happens.

Please see some of the older posts that have been closed -- this is…

811 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    86 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    boom! it's done  ·  Angus Logan responded

We are always working on improving performance but we are really excited to share that we just turned on a major performance improvement in sync upload. The upload improvements apply to sync if you are running OneDrive on Windows 10, Windows 7, or Mac.

9. Use OneDrive for business as home folder

I would like to store my users data in their one drive for business root folders
    C:\users\%username%\Onedrive for Business\Documents
    C:\users\%username%\Onedrive for Business\Pictures
    C:\users\%username%\Onedrive for Business\Music
    and use folder redirection with GPO to set it automatically

655 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Remove the File size limit of 2GB for syncing.

There are numerous files that can exceed this file size. Especially if you're syncing family videos, large CAD files, or perhaps digital art files. This makes OneDrive not very useful for my purposes, and others I suspect.

I heard back in 2012 that this was something that the OneDrive team wanted to do but I haven't heard an update on this since then. Please let us know what's going on with this.

343 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    78 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add "Shared" / "Shared with Me" view to the modern app

I mean, even the Windows Phone app has this.

203 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. OneDrive Capture Tool and Quick Share Features

OneDrive Capture(Snipping) Tool
    - Similar to Snipping Tool, Snaggit, OneNote, Puush, Gyazo except automatically uploads image to a special folder on OneDrive similar to how phone pictures go to "Camera Roll", these pictures would go into a "Screenshots" folder.
    - Different keyboard shortcuts for full screen screenshot, focused window screenshot, select your area screenshot
    - Depending on the key combination, say if you hold shift during the key combination, it will determine whether a dialog will pop up asking what you want to do. For example Ctrl + 4 would give you a select-area screenshot and AUTOMATICALLY save the OneDrive…

198 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re starting to roll out our new screenshot feature. We have a dedicated screenshots folder and you can easily sync them across all your devices. The rollout will happen with updates to the sync client and we’ll ramp it up to 100% over the next couple of weeks.

Take a look at the announcement in the link below and keep the suggestions coming!

https://blog.onedrive.com/introducing-an-all-new-way-to-view-manage-and-share-your-photos-in-onedrive/

13. Allow local accounts full use of desktop and modern apps

The desktop and modern apps on Windows 8.1 require you to log in to the computer with a Microsoft Account in order to access any functionality at all. This dramatically limits my ability to use OneDrive due to two distinct situations that affect me.

1) IT policy at my day-job company allows me to have personal content on my work machine within certain boundaries, but Group Policy prohibits logging into our machines with a Microsoft Account. This means that I can't access any consumer OneDrive content on such devices without going through the website.

2) I keep a separate Microsoft…

147 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Get a sharing link from Windows Explorer without visiting website

Dropbox doesn't force you to go to a website to get an link to share. It doesn't even require you to wait for the file to finish uploading before allowing you to copy a link. Please provide this functionality in the desktop context menu.

120 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    18 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Link Windows libraries to OneDrive

Imagine this: You have a Windows Desktop, Surface/Notebook/Tablet and a Windows Phone. You want all files that you edit to save directly to OneDrive, so all devices contain the same data and you don't want to always decide between the Windows libraries and the OneDrive folders.

As a result, you want to link the local libraries on every device with the suiting OneDrive folder. When your saving files to your Documents Windows library, it is then syncing with OneDrive.
    This should be configured with the OneDrive client for your device. The 30 GB storage that are now available should be…

82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion. If you open settings by right-clicking on the OneDrive cloud icon in your systray, you’ll see an “auto-save” tab. Currently we make it easy to default your Documents and Pictures folders to OneDrive. You can actually re-map any of the Windows known folders to point to OneDrive folders, too. Enjoy!

16. make the OneDrive desktop app PORTABLE!! That way you may not even have to implement the LAN sync feature that many of us have requested.

I suggest you make the OneDrive desktop app PORTABLE!! That way you may not even have to implement the LAN sync feature that many of us have requested.

If you make the application portable, then people will not have to download all of their data again from OneDrive server after formatting their PC/Laptop. In this particular case, LAN sync will not be required.

Secondly, it will be immensely beneficial for technicians and students too who cannot take their lappy/PC everywhere but can only carry a portable drive with them. And please...don't try to make $s off of this idea -…

66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. to able Onedrive to Sync files and folders from a external harddrives

Hi Everyone from Onedrive.

I would like to suggest an idea that would attend my need and maybe everyone else´s need.
    I have a lot of files on external HDs that I would love to upload my files on Onedrive and direct sync them without to copy these files on my PC's synced folders. It gives a lot of work to manage these files, it takes time and space.
    Please, launch this feature on onedrive that will be helpful. It would be very nice to simple connect my external HD on my PC and Onedrive automatically sync alll files and…

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. re-enable move OneDrive folder to SD card (especially for low diskspace devices like HP Stream 7, 13, 14

re-enable the option to move OneDrive folder to a folder on an SD card (especially for low diskspace devices like HP Stream 7, 13, 14 or other Windows tablets).

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Icons overlay and other visual help needed

Since windows 8.1, we lost the icons overlay. Icons can give a lot of informations very quickly:
    - what is offline and online
    - what is synced or not
    - what is downloading or not
    - all other informations needed

I know this has to do with Windows limitations but hey, you're working for the same company. Icons overlay are still as ugly as in Windows XP. We need some transparency, shades, a clear loader on the files, etc.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. View folders shared with in my OneDrive PC Sync Client

I am person A, and person B had shared a folder with me, I want to be able to view it in my 'OneDrive' folder in my PC.
    Currently, it is only possible to access it by clicking on 'Shared with me' tab in the OneDrive Web Interface.

Without this feature, I found users in our organization feeling confused using OneDrive as they need it mainly for sharing.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1

OneDrive Archive

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base