OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive Archive

This forum has been closed but you can go to https://onedrive.uservoice.com to find, submit and vote on ideas.

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service" and "your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product. You can shake your mobile app or tap the ? then select “Email OneDrive support” from the website.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. New sync client must support team sites

Horrified to read this in the FAQ for the new sync client:

"Our focus right now is exclusively on OneDrive for Business cloud sync. We’re still looking at our broader sync strategy for Team Sites and On Prem. The existing sync client for OneDrive for Business will continue to support sync in these solutions."

Sync of team sites is very important. I know several businesses who only use the team site (because they want to share documents).

If you still have to run the old, broken sync client for team sites this is a massive disappointment and means users…

4,647 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    238 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Remove the limit (20,000) of files that can be stored in OneDrive for Business

There is a hard limit of 20,000 files on top of the file size limit. Please remove the # of file limit.

3,431 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    232 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. OneDrive for Business - Implement shared folder syncing to desktop client

We need the ability to sync folders that have been shared by another Onedrive for Business user with the desktop client. You just rolled this out for personal OneDrive, but it seems like it's more important for Onedrive for Business.

3,209 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    311 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Multiple file download - OneDrive for business

As with One Drive stand alone you have the ability to select and download multiple files at a time.

2,221 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    300 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Downloading multiple files is now available for OneDrive for Business and Sharepoint. Please make sure you have the latest experiences turned on. Thanks, everyone!

5. Enable long file path for OneDrive for Business

My 1GB of storage part of my Office 365 Business subscription is more or less useless because I get the "File name too long" issue with most of my files.

The following request is now closed as completed but I have voted on it with OneDrive for Business in mind (and I'm sure a lot of other other users did!).
    https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/6325774-enable-long-file-paths-aka-file-name-too-long-p

So, OneDrive for Business users, make your voice heard and vote for this!

2,085 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    139 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Folder selective sync with OneDrive for Business

I am using OneDrive for Business on Windows 8.1 PC and have 1TB plan. Once I upload files to OneDrive I don't want to download them all.

I want to be able select folders I want to sync so I don't need to download all files (1TB).
    Problem described in http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/7f3e9994-9ca3-4550-b82e-2bfe64eab692/folder-selective-sync-with-onedrive-for-business?forum=sharepointgeneral

1,712 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    95 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 1,314 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    182 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. create anonymous guest links on the folder just like files in OD4B

For files you can create anonymous guest links on the file and set it to be view/edit and require sign-in or not but you can't for a folder.

In the consumer version of OneDrive you can do this on folders. Please make this available in OD4B. This is a huge missing feature that may cause us to go back to Dropbox.

1,046 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    75 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. You can now create anonymous links to folders in OneDrive and SharePoint. Admins can also control whether anonymous links are available to users within the tenant.

9. Remove (Hide) Files from "Shared with Me" view

Allow removing/hiding files and folders from the OneDrive for Business "Shared with Me" view.

Some shared files and folders are unwanted or obsolete , so it should be possible to remove/hide those.

871 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    163 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Improve sync quality for OneDrive for Business

I was asked to post my points separately so instead I'll just post the most important one.

OneDrive for Business sucks. Office Document Cache handler is the worst piece of software Microsoft currently endorses. Crashes, sync errors, etc.

Remove OneDrive for Business and replace it with the sync engine from OneDrive personal, which shock actually works. My company has ditched OneDrive for Business in favour of DropBox at great expense due to the awful, awful UX Sharepoint has. Its a shame O365 is tarnished in this way.

542 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    96 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. shared by me

In OneDrive consumer there is a best feature that in OneDrive For Business does not exists. This feature is "Shared by me" which allows to know, after a long period that I have shared document/folder, what are my sharings

520 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    24 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Provide an easy way to move files from OneDrive to SharePoint Online

Provide an easy way to move files from OneDrive to SharePoint Libraries. Show all Tenant Site Collections and their Document libraries where the user has write access. A cool extra would be the ability to move (and copy) files between SharePoint libraries. I guess a partner could build this, but I really think this should be a platform feature available to all standard Office 365 tentants. In my opinion these actions should be supported by the Office 365 'Files' (preview) API.

496 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    27 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Support for RAW/NEF/DNG photos (especially thumbnails)

Onedrive.com supports RAW photo files, but the Onedrive for Business photo gallery doesn't.

(the consumer product supports professional photo formats and the professional product only support consumer formats. Disappointing...)

455 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    27 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Enable Anonymous Download of All OneDrive for Business Files w/o MS Acct

For files located within OneDrive for Business, you have the option to share those files using 'guest' links — either for viewing or editing. Files like .zip archives and .PDFs automatically download using these links but guests are unable to download Office Online documents (e.g., .xlsx, .docx) even if they're accessing them using the guest links. They can view the files using Office Online but the option to download or 'save a copy' is unavailable unless you're logged in using a Microsoft account.

This concept is incredibly confusing for the novice and forces me to perpetually play the role of…

417 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    28 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow JSON files on OneDrive for Business

I do development work for my company and they enforce OneDrive as the only backup/sync option. I have added all my projects to my oneDrive folder so that they are backed up and available from my Desktop and Laptop. I keep getting sync errors on JSON files. This is a big problem for me.

Please consider allowing JSON files for sync. I'm guessing one of the issues is that you don't want to provide a free data host where people use Sharepoint to access these files publicly. Perhaps you could block it at that level instead of the sync level?

409 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    49 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. shared by me

Could you add a menu "Shared by me" (similar as "Shared with me") in OneDrive web interface on the left side menu?

More about the user need: on OneDrive, files and folder are shared "only you" by default but you can share files/folders hidden in folders or sub-folders which stay unshared. Over time it becomes very hard to see what you shared, thus having this page view of all files/folders "shared by me" would be very convenient for users...

388 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Release a OneDrive for Business client for Mac OS X

A Mac OS X client still hasn't been released for OneDrive for Business.

323 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    60 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Update OneDrive for Business File Size limit to 10GB to match personal/consumer accounts.

The consumer/personal OneDrive has a file size limit of 10GB, and has since September 2014.

OneDrive for Business should take precedence over the personal/consumer line and should have this feature already. It makes it extremely difficult to convince users to migrate to OneDrive when such limitations are in place.

247 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    16 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. OneDrive For Business Context Menu Sharing / Copy Link

As already several times mentioned we (the customers) need the ability to share / copy a link to a folder or file within the context menu (right click on the folder or file).

This is an attempt to summarize the others ideas and get this idea upvoted, so Microsoft actually implements our wish.

Also mentioned in this idea: https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/11356212-give-us-onedrive-for-business-context-menu-options we are in desperate need of this and with this idea "splitted up" for only sharing / copy link.

Below and idea of the context menu from myself / Implementation in the ribbon of Windows Explorer also good idea:

240 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We recently completed the rollout of the new sharing experience on Windows and Mac. Please make sure you’re running the OneDrive sync client and then open the context menu on a file or folder in OneDrive. You’ll see a new Share command there!

20. Allow guest folder access for non-Microsoft accounts

I would like to be able to share access to a folder so a guest (non-Microsoft account) user can access all the files within that folder.

Similar to the way Dropbox allows guest folder/file access mentioned below. They also provide password or timed access to guests with Dropbox Pro/Business.

REF: https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/20
    Q. Can I share files with non-Dropbox users?
    A. You can share files with anyone, even non-Dropbox users, by getting a link to any file or folder. Once you get the link, you can send it by email, Facebook, Twitter, instant message, social networks, wherever you want. You can…

192 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

OneDrive lets you share files and folders using “anyone links” that are redeemable by anyone that has that link. They are easily forwarded and allow access without any additional process.

In October, we announced secure external sharing for business users. This allows people to share without having people create a Microsoft account. This will allow sharing to a specific person in a way that the link isn’t forwarded to others.

← Previous 1

OneDrive Archive

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base