OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive Archive

This forum has been closed but you can go to https://onedrive.uservoice.com to find, submit and vote on ideas.

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service" and "your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product. You can shake your mobile app or tap the ? then select “Email OneDrive support” from the website.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Update 'OneDrive for Business' to sync with a network drive

OneDrive for Business currently only syncs with a directory on the C:\ drive.

In a Business environment, users have a personal drive (called H:\ drive here) where they store documents and data.

Please make OneDrive for Business sync a directory in the H:\ drive.

This is the default data drive for users - so it's where they expect to start a navigation to a file. Seriously, who (in a business environment) stores data on C:\ drive where it isn't backed up?

This also makes it easy to switch out a laptop for a new one. Nothing is on the c:\drive.

646 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    205 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion – it’s definitely a valid scenario. Being transparent we’ve got other engineering priorities right now and so won’t be able to address this in the short term. We’ll revisit this scenario once our short to mid-term feature investments are delivered.

2. allow the user to select whether to open files in the online app version, or in the native application

When I click on an Office file in my OneDrive, the system default is to use the online / browser version of the office app (Excel, word, etc.). I would like to be able to set the default such that the file opens in the native application, not the browser version.

256 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Douglas Pearce responded

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent, we aren’t likely to get to this in the near term.

3. Bring back the ability to Show Ribbon in new Onedrive layout

The new release of Onedrive has taken the Show Ribbon option, which allows for opening in IE. We need that back.

170 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    33 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. We made a decision to simplify the user experience based on user feedback and want to be transparent that we’re not planning to bring the ribbon UX back to OneDrive.

4. Remove sync app 5000 file limit for Sharepoint libraries

5k files is a very small number for a Sharepoint library if you are using it for your company shared folder, it is annoying having to setup multiple libraries and then configuring the sync app on every workstation for these multiple libraries (then hoping none of these go over 5k files). I thought it was a mistake when I first found out about this limitation.

159 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    22 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Check In/Check Out by "OneDrive for Business" client.

I want to checking in/out the file in OneDrive for Business client.
    OneDrive for Business client mean Windows Explorer OneDrive for Business folder.

116 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    36 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Just being transparent that this isn’t something we’re likely to add to OneDrive in the near future. SharePoint does have this functionality today and we’d recommend using a Team Site for this scenario. The sync client handles treats documents that have been checked out from a Document Library as read only.

6. make it possible to copy a calendar event from one calendar to another inside Office 365.

We should be able to copy an event on one of our calendars and paste it onto another one. For example, I have a personal calendar and a calendar for my library that I created. I should be able to copy back and forth between them. Please vote for this feature!

106 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Host an AMA Session on Reddit Sysadmin

It would great if you could host an AMA on Reddit Sysadmin so that the community knows the direction of where OneDrive for Business is going and the issues that are acknowledged.

There are so many of us that that desperately want OneDrive to be a great product and by hosting an AMA, you can inform a large community on the direction.

102 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Angus Logan responded

Hi, we’ve done AMA’s in the past and will try to do some again in the future. For now I’ll take this out as it is not a feature request.

thanks!

8. Create "Get a link" for a folder

It is always difficult to find a way receive large email attachment over the allowed limit. Can OneDrive create and share a folder that can allowing external client upload files into the share folder via a guest share link. Just as easy as creating a download share link by click on "Get a link" , copy and paste into an email, allowing external client download the file without creating a Mircosoft Account.

91 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    22 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. For security reasons we only support folder uploads from users with accounts.

9. Rename the existing OneDrive for Business client before the Next Gen Sync client is released

To prevent the inevitable confusion that is soon to hit users, please make sure to rename the OneDrive for Business app/programme (currently bundled with Office) to something that isn't named after the product it will no longer have anything to do with.

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    not right now  ·  5 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

OneDrive Archive

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base