OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive Archive

This forum has been closed but you can go to https://onedrive.uservoice.com to find, submit and vote on ideas.

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service" and "your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product. You can shake your mobile app or tap the ? then select “Email OneDrive support” from the website.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow folders to be shared/co-owned with access/sync the same for all co-owners

You can do this with competing consumer cloud storage systems. OneDrive should offer that functionality as well.

Users would be able to add shared folders to their own OneDrive, syncing the folders on their computer like any other OneDrive folders.

5,926 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    612 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all -
    I’m excited to let you know that we’ve begun rolling out Shared Folder sync on OneDrive. We can’t wait for you to start using it!

How does it work? We have a new action on OneDrive, called “Add to my OneDrive.” Whenever you are using OneDrive on the web, or through the mobile app, you’ll see this when you are browsing content that others have shared with you. Clicking “Add to my OneDrive” will add that folder to your OneDrive. From then on, whenever you browse your OneDrive, you’ll be able to see any of the shared folders you’ve added. And on the sync client, when you select what folders to sync, you’ll see all the shared folders you’ve added. Select the shared folder(s) you want and they’ll immediately begin syncing to your PC or Mac.

We’re rolling this out which takes some time, and…

2. Enable file versioning / history for all types of files (not just Office types)

I know you can recover previous versions of Microsoft Office files in OneDrive. But in Dropbox and Google Drive, you can recover previous versions of any file type (and this has been a long standing feature of these services). Please give us the ability to restore previous versions of any file type in OneDrive.

5,166 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    262 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are expanding version history support to all file types for OneDrive personal account users. As a result, customers will now be able to restore or download previous versions of all their files for up to 30 days. It will be available to everyone this summer; currently, approximately 10% of OneDrive users can see and interact with this feature.

You can read more about file versioning and how to use it on our blog: https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2017/07/19/expanding-onedrive-version-history-support-file-types

We understand how critical your data is to you. We also understand that threats are continually evolving and that our product must evolve too. This is one of several steps you will see us take in the near future to help protect you and your data.

3. Allow files of any size to be uploaded and synced

As much as I appreciate the hard work of the Onedrive team for removing the 2GB file size limit and pushing the limit to 10GB, I was really hoping for an unlimited file size when syncing from the desktop or other localized app. I might be an edge case, but I use a competitor to sync VHD's (Virtual Hard Drives) that I use for various purposes and those are far larger than 10GB.

1,541 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    88 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Locate documents, pictures, music, video, desktop, downloads, contacts, favorites, etc user folders within user's OneDrive folder by default

Although OneDrive is automatically set up on a new Windows computer, the majority of the user’s personal files are currently saved to locations that are not backed up, e.g.

C:\Users[username]\Documents
    C:\Users[username]\Pictures
    C:\Users[username]\Music
    C:\Users[username]\Videos
    C:\Users[username]\Desktop
    C:\Users[username]\Downloads
    C:\Users[username]\Contacts
    C:\Users[username]\Favorites
    …etc.

One possible workaround currently is to:

1) Create duplicate folders in OneDrive called Documents, Videos, Desktop, Downloads, Contacts, Favorites, etc. These will look like regular empty folders without any special thumbnail designation.

2) Go find your “default” user folders (the ones with thumbnails and files inside) in C:\Users[username]

3) Right click these “default” user folders and choose “Properties” > “Location” > “Move”

1,328 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    63 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks again for the suggestion. It’s now possible to set your default Documents and Pictures folders to use OneDrive. Check the new settings by right-clicking on the cloud icon.

5. Allow push notifications for the OneDrive app when files are added/deleted/edited

Allow push notifications for the OneDrive app when files are added/deleted/edited

967 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    26 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. show the progress of the syncing more extensively and be able to change the sequence of files to sync next.

Syncing doesn't show details of what is to be synced and also (therefore?) doesn's allow you to change the sequence of the files to be synced. When a large (video) is in the queue you can wait a long time.

749 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    26 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We recently began rolling out our new activity center which shows the files that are sync’ing, have recently sync’d, and more. There’s more to do so please create individual requests for features you’d like to see in upcoming releases.

7. Enable music streaming

I want to use One drive for my music files. Create a platform for music streaming from One drive.

688 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    36 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow the REAL OneDrive team to take over this feedback portal.

This UserVoice portal was started by a concerned fan of OneDrive who wants OneDrive to be the best it can, but there were no feedback outlets to be found. Please upvote this idea so that the OneDrive team takes notice and starts to hear the feedback of it's fans and users.

156 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Remove the limit of 10GB from personal OneDrive

Its just unreasonable in todays world to restrict file uploads to 10GB. Its been a long time people have been asking for this. When MS removed unlimited storage, I was dissappointed just like many others. This stupid limit of 10GB made sense in that time because you can probably abuse the system by uploading huge files, ********* abusers. But now that there is a limit of only 1TB on the account, how in the world is this Stupid limit of 10 GB justified? I mean if I record a comcert from my iphone 7 plus, the raw video is 15…

106 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Bring parity to OneDrive and OneDrive for Business Clients

Create -one- client that can handle multiple accounts for both OneDrive and OneDrive for Business. Instead of having two clients that can only handle one account for OneDrive and one for OneDrive for Business build one client for all your accounts with feature parity (selective sync, sync shared, etc. etc.) I have one consumer OneDrive and several Office365 OneDrive for Business Accounts but there is no option to connect all accounts and sync locally.

92 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This one slipped through the cracks – but we delivered a converged sync client last December! While we don’t have 100% feature parity, many of the most critically asked for features are available – including the ability to do Selective Sync, support removable media, sync files up to 10 GB in size (up from 2 GB), use less disk space and do it all more reliably and quickly than before. Feel free to create new suggestions (or upvote existing ones) for the next set of features you’d like to see.

11. Return OneDrive to the way that it was pre Windows 8.1

The following problems were documented on Microsoft's community page here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/files/i-am-having-multiple-problems-with-skydrive-in/3194a7ee-bef6-4c41-b199-0bb1a4da6e2e

I never received a solution:

I can't wrap my head around SkyDrive in Windows 8.1. These are the problems that I am having:
    1.I select a folder, and then select online only. The Available Offline disappears. I come back 5 minutes later, and the folder once again says "Available Offline."

2.When you select online only, after a folder was available offline, you should see some status as to what is happening. i.e. these 650 files are being deleted.

3.The SkyDrive App says "Downloading 6 items..." in the upper right…

68 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Full text search

To enable quick full text searches.

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Enable Folders to be Hidden from Sync

I'd like some folders not to be synced to every Client.

for instance I use one drive on my work computer. I don't want my personal folders to be synced to my work PC. But I do want them synced to my home PC.

I don't want the online/offline placeholders. I don't want the folder, at least its contents, on the work PC at all.

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    boom! it's done  ·  Angus Logan responded

Hi Brian, this can be done with Selective Sync in Windows 7/8/10 and Mac (not in Windows 8.1)

thanks
    Angus

14. Tag / keyword search on mobile

for the time beeing it's not possible to search for files ( keywords, metatags ) via mobile onedrive apps ( Iphone / Ipad )
    That means my thousands of pictures in onedrive are like in a messy shoebox. Only on my PC i can search in Onedrive

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Improve speed of syncing files

On both Mac OSX Mavericks and Windows 7, OneDrive syncs so impossibly slow that it is a joke. It takes hours for megabytes to move up, and quite often OneDrive just crashes over and over, preventing syncing even more. On OSX, OneDrive constantly "resets", asking me to log in and pick the directory again, and on Windows 7, the service keeps restarting over and over, with little progress.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    boom! it's done  ·  Omar Shahine responded

Since this appears to be a support issue, we have moved this issue to our support team to follow up on.

16. Virtual folders for photo albums

Lots of photo organisation programs and photo sharing websites conceptualise albums as sort of virtual folders whereby the same photo in your library can appear in multiple albums (virtual folders) without duplication of the photo. I find this very useful.

Photo organisation in OneDrive is limited to regular folders, and therefore you have to duplicate photos if you want them to appear in multiple albums (album in this sense being just a regular folder with photo viewing options).

Please enable us to create virtual folder type albums.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Any one buy the Windows product or Office can save it in onedrive for more reasons.

Microsoft Office and Windows are the most popular for the users but why they cannot save it in the official cloud from Microsoft Onedrive ?

here is the rules :
    1- when you buy the product, Microsoft will share it directly in the cloud for your account.
    2- Microsoft will delete old product and share the last update to make sure the user re-install the last update for the product.
    3-the product cannot be sharing for other user.
    4- Try to talk with Google ,Apple ,Dropbox,Box, ...etc that they cannot upload the Microsoft product without the user prove that he…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    boom! it's done  ·  Casey Penk responded

Hi there Khaled, thanks for the feedback. You can save your docs, photos, and other files to OneDrive from Office and Windows. If you have any ideas on how we can improve this please let us know.

18. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

OneDrive Archive

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base