OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive Archive

This forum has been closed but you can go to https://onedrive.uservoice.com to find, submit and vote on ideas.

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service" and "your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product. You can shake your mobile app or tap the ? then select “Email OneDrive support” from the website.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fully support synchronisation of Sharepoint/O365 Document Libraries, including Checkout/Checkin

While you can currently configure OneDrive to synchronise a Document Library which requires files to be checked out, this just gives you files and folders on your computer with the Read-only attribute set.

If you open a file Word 2016 will tell you it's an offline file, and it failed to contact the server. If you ask Word to re-open the file online, you can then Checkout, save and Checkin the file.

This extra step shouldn't be necessary, and you should be able to see Checkout status in Explorer and right-click to Checkout/Checkin

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Edit Photo Tags on OneDrive for Business

Support indicated that editing photo tags is only possible on standard OneDrive. Bringing it to the Business side too would be great for basic tagging of photos so no other solutions outside Office365 would be needed.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add option exclude certain file types and folders

I mapped my Documents Library to OneDrive which to me is a natural thing to do. Unfortunately there a lot of files and folders that don't need to be synced and can't be moved.

Users should be able to right-click on a folder or a file and select Do Not Sync. The sync state icon should change to something like a 'Do Not' red circle with a diagonal slash.

This is very useful and necessary functionality to make OneDrive more intuitive and reduce sync problems due to over syncing and infinite sync retries

Using Win 10

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Bring to OneDrive Business option "Add to my OneDrive" only available only at personal OneDrive

I want this feature in OneDrive for Business.
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Add-and-sync-shared-folders-to-OneDrive-8a63cd47-1526-4cd8-bd09-ee3f9bfc1504?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&fromAR=1

When someone shares a folder and gives you edit permissions to it, add the shared folder to your own OneDrive to make it easier to edit and work with the folder and its contents. If you sync the folder to your Windows or Mac computers running the OneDrive app, you can work with the folder offline.

Add a shared folder to your OneDrive

Sign in to OneDrive on your browser.

In the OneDrive navigation pane, under OneDrive, click Shared. Folders you can add to your OneDrive are marked Can edit.

OneDrive…

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ability to automatically configure OneDrive FB Profile on domain joined computers

I would like to see the ability to automatically configure OneDrive For Business with a command/register setting.

At this moment i use onedrive.exe" /client=Business1 /hideWelcomePage so it is easy for the user to configure, but i would like a command so there are no configuration steps needed from the user.

Something like: onedrive.exe" /client=Business1 /hideWelcomePage path=c:\%username%\OneDrive FB user=%username%

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. For OneDrive for Business, set the default shared link to have an expiring date.

For OneDrive for Business, set the default shared link to have an expiring date. For example, when I share a file with you, that link should expire after, say, two weeks. I should be able to change that default at the admin level. Or as a user I might want to change it per shared file. and when it is about to expire, please warn me so I can choose to extend it or not.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. improve the behavior so as to edit text file via browse.

*English follows Japanese

■件名 :ブラウザー上からテキスト ファイルを編集できるようにしてほしい。
    ■内容: ブラウザー上から OneDrive for Business に保存しているテキスト ファイルを編集することができない場合がある。
    文字コードとブラウザーの種類により、“不明なエンコード” というエラーが表示され編集できない。
    全ての文字コードおよびブラウザーにて、ブラウザー上からテキスト ファイルを編集できるように改善して欲しい。

-----
    I am aware that I am occasionally unable to edit on a browse the text files once saved in OneDrive for Business. Depending on character code and types of browse, I can't edit the files due to error stating ”Unknown Encoding”, and therefore I hope the behavior to be improved so as to edit the text files through browse along with all character code and browse.

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Security of the OneDrive sync folder files that are sync'd on a local computer

As a 365 Admin for SharePoint and OneDrive I have the following dilemma with the security of the sync'd folder(s) from both onedrive and sharepoint on a users local machine:

Any file that is sync'd to a local computer is vulnerable to a local admin accounts privilege.

In short, if a computer containing sync'd data is stolen, that sync data can easily be accessed with the device in-hand. The permissions on the ["OneDrive or SharePoint" c:\users\<username>\OneDrive <tenant name> folder] inherit from above...and have the Local Administrators group in there by default. More troubling is that another domain user logging on…

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Rename Onedrive for Business Root Folder

Allow Businesses to rename their OneDrive for Business Root Folder

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Enable sync for external users

"As a security measure, whenever you try to perform a sync, the OneDrive for Business first accesses the subscription in order to verify whether you are a licensed user and whether you have permissions to access the required document library. Since an external email address does not have a license assigned by your Office365 subscription, hence the first check by OneDrive for Business fails thereby disallowing the sync to continue. [...] Hence, we wish to confirm that the sync does not work for non Office365 users for Windows as well as Mac machines which is a security measure designed by…

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Onedrive is creating duplicate files every time the user connects back to the internet. How can this be avoided?

The Onedrive sync client has been installed and synced the files. When the user goes offline and edits some documents and comes back online, the sync is happening but creating new files with the name of the machine appended to the file names. This is really annoying as the folders are shared and synced with several users and every time a user comes online with a updated file its creating a new file instead of merging the changes

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Enable syncing the data from the external hard disk to OneDrive for Business.

I am aware of the new sync folder has been created in the "C-drive" when the initial synchronization is performed on OneDrive for Business by default. Also, it takes the time to copy the items from the external hard disk to the OneDrive for Business synchronization folder manually by D&D.

I hope the feature will be improved to sync the data from the external hard disk to OneDrive for Business directly in order to saving the capacity for the local computer through the user synchronized the items to OneDrive for Business. (without copying process or else)

Thank you for your…

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. ACTUALLY Enable long file path for OneDrive for Business

This is a repost of https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/13697118-enable-long-file-path-for-onedrive-for-business

because Jason Moore marked the previous suggestion as "BOOM IT's DONE" .... but he linked to an article that DOES NOT reference long file paths at all!... so everything indicates that it's NOT done...

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. OneDrive for Business - Sync Multiple Folders with Different Credentials

If the OneDrive for Business desktop client supported the synchronization of multiple libraries at once, that would help a lot of people. I'm speaking of different organizational libraries with differing credentials within a single Windows environment. This request has been discussed in the following threads:

https://community.office365.com/en-us/f/154/t/432695

https://community.office365.com/en-us/f/172/t/271401?pi14985=1

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Be aware of the behavior that the first inputted letter is not reflected on the display when editing in Excel Online.

I would like to inform you that the function does not work properly when editing files saved in OneDrive for Business on Excel Online. Specifically, when editing Excel files saved in OneDrive for Business, the first letter (two letters will be in Japanese) input is not reflected in the cell, if the user input "DA" but Excel Online only recognized "A".

It only occurred by using the Google Chrome browser. So, It may cause of the Google Chrome problem but I hope the function to be improved correctly working as soon as possible.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Use a Simple Entry URL for OneDrive - https://onedrive.office365.com

My OneDrive for Business URL looks like SharePoint barfed all over it. Why can't we have a simple entry point like https://onedrive.office365.com or a custom domain routed one like https://onedrive.contoso.com? Stop making my brain hurt with these SharePoint URLs.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. File Upload History

I would like to see a history (not version) of what files and when they were uploaded to the cloud. When migrating 100s of clients it gets a little confusing sometimes and it would be great to let clients know what has been uploaded. It would also create an electronic trail if items were lost or onedrive crashes which seems to happen quite a bit.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow Syncing with NAS or Mapped Drives

Allow One Drive for Business to sync with a Mapped NAS drive.

Using an external NAS as Backup and local acces for non registered employees allows data to be accessed wither remotely by the User, or locally by networked users and provides a local backup for all synced data. Please can you allow ODFB to sync either with a NAS or with a mapped drive. Alternatively allow symbolic linking to operate fully.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow mail merge with source files stored on OneDrive

Please support mail merge with source files stored on OneDrive.

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Share a folder on OneDrive for Business like you can with OneDrive personal

On OneDrive personal you can share a folder with a view only link that anyone can use without signing in with a Microsoft account and in OneDrive for Business you can only do that with individual documents. We have forms in a folder and I have to share out a link to each form instead of just sharing out a link to the folder giving people access to all forms at once.

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

OneDrive Archive

Feedback and Knowledge Base