OneDrive

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product. You can shake your mobile app or tap the ? then select “Email OneDrive support” from the website.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 100 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable FLAC Music Streaming from OneDrive

Many users today have FLAC music libraries. FLAC (free lossless audio codec) is a free, open-source, CD-quality file format which is in many ways superior to MP3. Unfortunately, you're currently unable to stream FLAC music from OneDrive through Groove Music.

Personally speaking, all but a few of my songs stored in OneDrive are FLAC format. Unfortunately, Groove music doesn't recognize these songs unless they are saved to my device locally. Therefore my Groove music library on my Lumia 950XL is empty, aside from the few songs in OneDrive I have saved as MP3s. Even if you search for a song…

2,804 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      68 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Don't force to reconfigure OneDrive every time it crashes

When OneDrive crashes it forces me to:
      1) Reboot (WHY???)
      2) sign in into my MS account while I am aready signed into it in Windows 10. I use it to log into my PC! Why sign in again?
      3) Chose where to store files. I already have 200 Gb of OneDrive files on my PC in non default location. How hard can it be to memorize it and don't force me to pick it again?

132 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • allow file or folder name containing special characters in OneDrive for Business

OneDrive for Business syncing from local drive to web: just "Too many sync errors" without pertinent suggestions or reasons, and my findings is it don't allow file or folder name containing special characters, e.g. % or # which are now allowed in Windows 7 or 8 and OneDrive for PERSONAL syncing from local drive to web

102 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          7 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Fix size metadata bug

When uploading certain PNG files the size is incorrectly reported on the OneDrive website and in the Photo object returned by the REST API. This can be reproduced using the following PNG file: http://www2.zippyshare.com/v/11270772/file.html

99 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Timezone OneDrive (Web) is incorrect.

The OneDrive (like Outlook) has a serious problem with time. In Outlook I can't set my correct time, he always adds extra hours when choosing my time zone, and the OneDrive too. I just edit a document the 5 pm. And the OneDrive says it was edited the 10 pm!

This is an old problem, you do not intend to solve?

84 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              10 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Fix special characters in company name bug on mac

This is stated as fixed in version 17.3.6378.0329 of the mac app store app, but the problem is still the same.

If you have a special character in your company name - for example / - the mac client is unable to use the folder you have chosen.

A/S is the primary company type in Denmark, and names should include this notation. Because of this, the problem is widespread in Denmark.

I guess there are more special characters that are not being handled on the mac as well.

Read about the problem here:
              https://community.office365.com/en-us/f/153/p/432751/1095582

58 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Bitlocker and OneDrive

OneDrive should be able to recognize that the OneDrive-folder is on a directory which is protected by Bitlocker. If you start the computer and OneDrive can't open the folder because it is still locked, OneDrive should ask to unlock this drive first before ask you to reallocate the folder.

53 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  7 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Work out sync glitches

onedrive doesn't sync properly between devices. Old versions or missing new files on different devices. Sync-ing is essential! Which is why i'm going back to Dropbox.

49 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Do not re-upload photos if they are already present

There are two basic concepts here:
                    1) Photos should be uploaded to the same OneDrive location, regardless of their source (the PC app and the mobile device should both upload to "Camera Roll" (right now the PC uploads to "Camera imports" but the mobile app uploads to "Camera Roll."
                    2) If a photo has already been uploaded by another device, they should not be uploaded again. This is not an advanced concept; Windows Live Mesh/Sync had similar capabilities. Examples:
                    - If I use the OneDrive app on my mobile device to upload photos, and then connect my phone to my…

47 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Fix the wrong file name from date time of the uploaded pictures on iOS

Since Nov/Dec 2013 OneDrive update on iOS, OneDrive app on iOS always used GMT time, instead of local time, to name the auto uploaded picture files. It is so difficult now to know the exact time the pictures were taken and the worst is the pictures I take during night time is using the next day's date!

34 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Thumbnail preview, does not work for jpg files uploaded bye the onedrive sync in windows

On onedrive.com, thumbnail preview of jpg files does not work, if the jpg files is uploaded using onedrive sync in windows. If I upload the sames files to a new folder using the browser on onedrive.com, thumbnail preview is showing up on all files. This is happening on all versions of windows 10. It is not a browser issue, the same happens when viewing onedrive in chrome, firefox, edge, ie 11, so it must be an upload problem. Some of the files however shows up correctly.

33 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          6 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Share links dangerously default to view and edit

File sharing currently defaults to creating a link with both view AND edit permissions. This link is retained, without any indication to the user, even when the user deselects the allow edit permissions box.

This is a VERY dangerous security flaw because some search engines are capable of discovering these links by brute force. I had one of my excel files completely *nuked* by an anonymous rando that had found the view+edit link that I never knew had been created (even though I only ever explicitly shared a view-only link for the file). They nuked the file by reverting it…

32 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Fix incorrect calculation of remaining free space when using Symbolic Links

Creating a SymLink in the local OneDrive folder to another drive may incorrectly disable the "OK" button in the selective folder sync dialog. Reason: the calculated remaining free space on the local drive (used for the OneDrive folder) is incorrect.

Example:
                            Drive C (size 200 GB, 150 GB free) contains the OneDrive folder which contains a Symbolic Link to D:\syncme
                            Drive D (size 1000 GB) contains 300 GB content in D:\syncme
                            => The remaining free space on C is being calculated as -150 GB (or less), i.e. the OK button cannot be selected, even though there is still free space…

30 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              6 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Disable "An update is required" popup

When not using the latest OneDriveSetup sources you will get a prompt to update OneDrive -> "An update is required. To continue using OneDrive, you need to update it.". This message seems totally useless since OneDrive does a proper update in the background anyway.
                              Please adjust the installer to get rid of this update prompt or give the possibility to have control about this update behaviour (e.g.: special parameters for the OneDriveSetup.exe).

30 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Fix the following security issue on OneDrive

The file download links in the browser download history works after the user signs out of their Microsoft account. It looks like...the file download does not require user authentication.

Consider this situation.....
                                I am using a public PC. I login, download a personal file. Read it, delete the file permanently from the hard drive, logout and leave.

Now some anonymous person uses the same PC. He can go to browser file download history. Of course the file is not in the PC Hard Drive any more. But if he clicks on the link in the download history, the file downloads.

29 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • overlay icons

Please fix Windows 7 64bit to allow for more than 15 overlay icons so that both Dropbox and OneDrive sync icons work at the same time.

24 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Make opening Office files from OneDrive asynchronous, i.e. non-blocking

When opening an Office document from OneDrive (doesn't matter if Business or regular), it is tried to dynamically update the document from the server (i.e. SharePoint). This works well when you don't have an internet connection (the offline document is used) or if you have an internet connection.

Things get ugly fast if your connection is slow (e.g. mobile) or laggy or bad in general. I have had PowerPoint/Word lock up multiple times in front of customers because they were either saving to SharePoint (modal dialog popup with none-saying progress bar) or the logos of the applications were "loading" forever…

24 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Fix file copying for all sizes

While we can successfully move "small" files with the Move To option in the website, Copy To *always* fails for "bigger" files. I haven't looked for an exact minimum size that can't be copied, but I know that a file of 24MB cannot be copied.

At the very least any restrictions should be documented.

23 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Improve the quality of the preview

I know bandwidth is all, but the quality of a pdf preview or the streaming of a video from OneDrive is at the moment so lousy, that it can not be used.
                                        PDF word previews can not be read at all. Download and open - perfect. Same with the videos.
                                        So if you can't handle the bandwidth, don't offer it. But if you offer it, make it that way, that it can be used!

Nevertheless - good progress in development within the last month!
                                        BR, Fritz

23 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Offline/online

Now it appears that when I right-clicks folder and make it available online or offline only this experience is not very smooth. Sometimes I make a folder available online only but some sub folders and files are still offline unless I change them explicitly again. Same apply to offline only folders. Not an ideal user experience. Please fix it.

23 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 33 34
                                          • Don't see your idea?

OneDrive

Feedback and Knowledge Base