OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive Archive

This forum has been closed but you can go to https://onedrive.uservoice.com to find, submit and vote on ideas.

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service" and "your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product. You can shake your mobile app or tap the ? then select “Email OneDrive support” from the website.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. OneDrive Files On-Demand

Allow an online sync only for OneDrive, like Windows 8.1 file explorer did.
    Most of PC don't have enough storage to keep files on HDD.
    That will really improve productivity !

26,111 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1205 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m proud to announce that OneDrive Files On-Demand is now rolling out with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (https://twitter.com/onedrive/status/920288442965164033). Whether you use a personal OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint Online, you can now browse all your files without filling up your disk and take advantage of the rich features of File Explorer. Read more about how you can start using OneDrive Files On-Demand & skip ahead if it hasn’t been rolled out to you yet (https://t.co/YFxsqB3JNb). Learn more about deploying Files On-Demand in your organization (https://t.co/zjAQJnbQlo). Thanks to all of you for the emphatic support, and a special thanks to our incredible self-hosters in the Windows Insider Program!

• Allow folders to be shared/co-owned with access/sync the same for all co-owners

You can do this with competing consumer cloud storage systems. OneDrive should offer that functionality as well.

Users would be able to add shared folders to their own OneDrive, syncing the folders on their computer like any other OneDrive folders.

5,935 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        607 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all -
        I’m excited to let you know that we’ve begun rolling out Shared Folder sync on OneDrive. We can’t wait for you to start using it!

How does it work? We have a new action on OneDrive, called “Add to my OneDrive.” Whenever you are using OneDrive on the web, or through the mobile app, you’ll see this when you are browsing content that others have shared with you. Clicking “Add to my OneDrive” will add that folder to your OneDrive. From then on, whenever you browse your OneDrive, you’ll be able to see any of the shared folders you’ve added. And on the sync client, when you select what folders to sync, you’ll see all the shared folders you’ve added. Select the shared folder(s) you want and they’ll immediately begin syncing to your PC or Mac.

We’re rolling this out which takes some time, and…

• Enable long file paths (aka "File Name Too Long" problem when syncing)

As a developer, I have deeply nested file structures with sometimes arduously long file names. I am unable to use OneDrive as it stands now because of this. I would like to suggest that this limitation be removed. I understand that it's probably a fundamental infrastructure issue but it's severely hampering Onedrive when compared to other competitors out there right now, despite all the other cool features.

5,713 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          987 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve enabled significantly longer paths for your personal OneDrive in our latest Windows and Mac releases (available from http://onedrive.com/download). You should be able to use paths up to 430 characters from the root of your local OneDrive sync folder. Our telemetry tells us this covers the vast majority of customers who have hit max path issues in the past. Note that if you have over 90 characters in your local OneDrive path (that is, from drive letter to OneDrive\) you will see characters over 90 cut into the budget of 430 characters (93 character local path will mean 427 characters available for path in the OneDrive folder).

• Enable file versioning / history for all types of files (not just Office types)

I know you can recover previous versions of Microsoft Office files in OneDrive. But in Dropbox and Google Drive, you can recover previous versions of any file type (and this has been a long standing feature of these services). Please give us the ability to restore previous versions of any file type in OneDrive.

5,166 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            258 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are expanding version history support to all file types for OneDrive personal account users. As a result, customers will now be able to restore or download previous versions of all their files for up to 30 days. It will be available to everyone this summer; currently, approximately 10% of OneDrive users can see and interact with this feature.

You can read more about file versioning and how to use it on our blog: https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2017/07/19/expanding-onedrive-version-history-support-file-types

We understand how critical your data is to you. We also understand that threats are continually evolving and that our product must evolve too. This is one of several steps you will see us take in the near future to help protect you and your data.

• Option to Pause / Resume sync on Windows

Please add the functionality to pause / resume syncing form the icon in the Notification Area in Windows 7. I believe the version of OneDrive for Windows 8 already has this feature.

This feature is essential for me, and I use it frequently on Dropbox. It is ideal when on a slower internet connection, or when I am gaming online and want as little internet traffic as possible.

[Update: merged Win10 into this idea and changed from Win7 to Win10 as this suggestion will apply to both][

5,021 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              273 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • New sync client must support team sites

Horrified to read this in the FAQ for the new sync client:

"Our focus right now is exclusively on OneDrive for Business cloud sync. We’re still looking at our broader sync strategy for Team Sites and On Prem. The existing sync client for OneDrive for Business will continue to support sync in these solutions."

Sync of team sites is *very important*. I know several businesses who only use the team site (because they want to share documents).

If you still have to run the old, broken sync client for team sites this is a massive disappointment and means users will…

4,653 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                237 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Show detailed synced status (speed, time, files...)

We ar efrustrated by endless processing changes and never know what is doing. Show us what OneDrive is doung:
                - updating files xxx of xxxx
                - time to coplete cca xx seconds/minutes
                - uploading at xxkb/s
                - files remaining
                - files that is curently in sync

3,857 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  170 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We recently began rolling out our new activity center which shows the files that are sync’ing, have recently sync’d, and more. There’s more to do so please create individual requests for features you’d like to see in upcoming releases.

• Remove the limit (20,000) of files that can be stored in OneDrive for Business

There is a hard limit of 20,000 files on top of the file size limit. Please remove the # of file limit.

3,437 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    230 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • OneDrive for Business - Implement shared folder syncing to desktop client

We need the ability to sync folders that have been shared by another Onedrive for Business user with the desktop client. You just rolled this out for personal OneDrive, but it seems like it's more important for Onedrive for Business.

3,212 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      301 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Allow OneDrive app on Android to be moved to SD card including storing offline files

Unfortunately, I cannot keep this Android app because the app cannot be moved to secondary storage. I'm like every Android user and have limited available space on primary storage. Because of the OS and other required data that must be stored on primary storage, I have to move apps to my SD card after I install them in order to make room. I understand that users must first install apps to primary storage on Android. That's fine. Users should then be able to move apps like this to Secondary Storage in App Storage Settings. This app does not allow that.…

2,731 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        173 comments  ·  Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Shorten link by default

When I generate a link to share a file, I'd like this link to be automatically shortened.

OneDrive's URL format is ugly. When I paste it in some places, they are not fully parsed and converted to links (just a portion of the URL is converted). Or I want to tweet it.

I think every time I use the option to generate a link, I want to copy it and paste somewhere else.
                        In this case, the generated link could be shortened by default.

2,344 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          156 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi, everyone. You should be seeing shorter links by default in the sharing dialog now. Please check it out and let us know what you think.

• respect metered connections in Windows 10

In Windows 8.1, OneDrive would detect whether the internet connection was a metered (data-capped) connection or not and would automatically pause syncing until it was connected to a non-metered network. This functionality seems to have been removed in Windows 10. Please bring it back.

2,272 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            225 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Multiple file download - OneDrive for business

As with One Drive stand alone you have the ability to select and download multiple files at a time.

2,221 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              297 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Downloading multiple files is now available for OneDrive for Business and Sharepoint. Please make sure you have the latest experiences turned on. Thanks, everyone!

• Provide Ransomware detection and recovery

We are seeing an increase in this cases of cryptowall and ramsonware, were users see their computers infected with this virus.

The virus will encrypt all user files (jpg, pdf, xlsx,docx, etc.) except system files.

It would be very helpful, to have the option to have OneDrive files restored to a previous date, even if that option was only available at a OneDrive Support level.

If this option is not possible, due to server space to store all info in duplicated, it would be easier from the technical side to block .ccc, .micro, and other known file extensions in OneDrive.

2,093 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                67 comments  ·  OneDrive.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Big update — Today we’re rolling out ransomware detection & recovery for Office 365 Home & Personal subscribers. We can now detect ransomware attacks and help you restore your OneDrive to a state before files were compromised. If an attack is detected, you will be alerted through an email, mobile, or desktop notification and guided through a recovery process where you’ll be able to restore your files to the state they were in before they were compromised.

To enable the recovery process, we’re bringing over the Files Restore feature from OneDrive for Business to your personal OneDrive account. Files Restore allows you to restore your entire OneDrive to a previous point in time within the last 30 days. In addition to helping recover from an attack, Files Restore helps with an accidental mass delete, file corruption, or other catastrophic event.

For more information, check out our blog post here — …

• Enable long file path for OneDrive for Business

My 1GB of storage part of my Office 365 Business subscription is more or less useless because I get the "File name too long" issue with most of my files.

The following request is now closed as completed but I have voted on it with OneDrive for Business in mind (and I'm sure a lot of other other users did!).
                                https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/6325774-enable-long-file-paths-aka-file-name-too-long-p

So, OneDrive for Business users, make your voice heard and vote for this!

2,091 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  125 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Automatically creating an album

Allow us to disable OneDrive automatically creating an album please. This annoys a lot of people, including me, and should be optional.

1,994 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    185 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks again for the suggestion. We added a setting for this – click the cog in the upper right corner of the website. Select Options and then Photos. You can now turn off automatic album creation.

• Add the ability to open SharePoint Sites for Mac like the Windows client does

We're trying to move one division over to our SharePoint365 and get off of Dropbox. We're getting a lot of pushback from the Mac users, about this, since OneDrive doesn't have connections to SharePoint like Windows does (i.e. the site documents list in Finder).

"Sync" a folder from the SharePoint libraries sends them down a rabbit hole of installing Onedrive For Business and ultimately doesn't work as it tells them they have to have a PC to sync to SharePoint

Sharing to SharePoint in Document Connector in O2011 will only connect you to specific files in specific folders, not folder…

1,914 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      217 comments  ·  Mac  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Option to limit sync speed

I have a slower internet connection. If I don't rate limit my uploads, I can barely use my internet connection until it is fully uploaded. Dropbox gives an option to limit how fast I can upload and download files. I would love OneDrive to include this feature as well.

[Update by Angus Logan: merged PC and Mac suggestion on same topic]

1,906 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        188 comments  ·  Mac  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Folder selective sync with OneDrive for Business

I am using OneDrive for Business on Windows 8.1 PC and have 1TB plan. Once I upload files to OneDrive I don't want to download them all.

I want to be able select folders I want to sync so I don't need to download all files (1TB).
                                        Problem described in http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/7f3e9994-9ca3-4550-b82e-2bfe64eab692/folder-selective-sync-with-onedrive-for-business?forum=sharepointgeneral

1,713 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          95 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Allow integrated file sharing from OneDrive folder on Mac (like Dropbox)

When on Dropbox folder, right click allows direct link share. It would be nice if OneDrive could do the same. So far, OneDrive as very limited functionalities. Thanks!

1,709 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            168 comments  ·  Mac  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

OneDrive Archive

Feedback and Knowledge Base