I suggest you ...

New sync client must support team sites

Horrified to read this in the FAQ for the new sync client:

"Our focus right now is exclusively on OneDrive for Business cloud sync. We’re still looking at our broader sync strategy for Team Sites and On Prem. The existing sync client for OneDrive for Business will continue to support sync in these solutions."

Sync of team sites is *very important*. I know several businesses who only use the team site (because they want to share documents).

If you still have to run the old, broken sync client for team sites this is a massive disappointment and means users will still face sync errors, strange error messages etc.

4,653 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Tim shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

237 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For most of my clients who want to use a cloud sharing file application unfortunately i have to usually recommend another platform to use instead of OneDrive. We usually steer them to a platform called Autotask (was called Soonr until recently), or DattoDrive. Main reason we steer them this way is because they have a much simpler file synchronization available. For example, to sync an already existing file share in my production environment to OneDrive i have to create a new OneDrive sync directory stop the existing folder share then copy the data from the existing share to the new OneDrive sync directory share the folders again and let the sync take place. With Autotask it gives me the option to go directly to that existing folder share create a sync relationship with that folder and it will start syncing the data right from where the folder currently exists. No need to copy data and create shares all over again. Hopefully a feature like this can be added to OneDrive

• bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the new sync client will only sync folders to my group and not files... more issues yet again

• Tom Noels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It started succesfull. with the commandline it took over my previously synced SharePoint library and I have added a next one. But a few days later I am not able anymore to add new document libraries.

• Mark Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure how you can claim this is done. WIth any team site that has mandatory meta data columns being "read only" when synched, it makes it useless and for my team "non deployable"

• Matt Scott - One Stop PC Doc IT Solutions commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jason, it appears you guys left out a key component. When browsing synced SharePoint sites in File Explorer, the context menu item "More OneDrive Sharing Options" upon right-clicking a file or folder is gone. Please fix this for us, man.

• Lars Nielsen - Nielsen Solutions commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

just thought of another idea to improve the sharing:
        enable search queries so you can search the documents you like and then share the result files.
        Also missing a way you can multiple select files and share those in one go.

• Lars Nielsen - Nielsen Solutions commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well done, this will really help OneDrive be a proper repository for professional use, I also see you fixed the Anonymous sharing for folders, nice.

Improvement suggestions:
        integrate the reg file into the installer, why should I have to download and run a separate reg file after the install, that should be all happening at install time

When you have shared a file or a folder, there is no real easy way to stop sharing again, you need to click on ... then select details and go sharing and remove the link, why dont you include "stop sharing" entry in the context menu, and on the top, that will just remove all sharing for that item, or alternatively open a change sharing dialog that just give you all the options. The sharing story needs to be better here.

• Charles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This post from Dec 20 suggests Jan availability:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/OneDrive-for-Business/Announcement-OneDrive-Sync-Updates/m-p/36441#M839

Syncing SharePoint sites

The ability to sync SharePoint sites directly to OneDrive is one of these features that makes doing this easier and simpler for end users. We’ve had great feedback on the public preview of syncing SharePoint Online document libraries in the latest OneDrive sync client. We remain committed to providing a reliable and performant sync experience for all your Office 365 files and continue to refine the public preview to meet our quality expectations. We’re on target to make this capability generally available in January.

• Samuel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Keeping all of you all up to date because OneDrive staff is deciding to not update you all because of fear of backlash. This is what they say:

Sent: January 12, 2017 11:20 AM
        To: Samuel
        Cc: MSSolve Case Email <casemail@microsoft.com>; Matthew Branniff <mabranni@microsoft.com>

Hello Samuel,

My apologies as I was not clear in my earlier response. You do not have to download any bits. The production ready client has already been fully rolled out globally. However, we still need to use the registry key to activate the feature. We are building a feature that allows you to switch on the capability for NGSC to sync team sites in the admin UI so you won't need the registry key. ETA for this is February.

I have asked Matt to share more information on the Registry and all the needed information on the new client. You should see that email from him by EOD.

You have been very patient in this regard and I want to thank you for your patience and partnership with us.

Regards,
        Floyd

• Samuel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well???? Why is it taking so freaking long for this feature to exist????
        My god OneDrive! MY GOD!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Team colaboration better than ever in Office365 for Business" - yeah right... after 2 years OD4B is still useless ****. Whole onedrive development team should be fired. Worst experience ever.

Hi,
        the end of the year 2016 is behind us, and the new release of OneDrive for macOS is still not able to sync with Team sites.

Have you rescheduled and can you give us an estimated date for a release managing private team sites?
        Thanks in advance
        Regards

Mike

• Jan Kratky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will there be Sharepoint 2013/2016 on prem support, or is this feature only Office 365 related?

• Jay Raman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let us down once, shame on us, let us down twice, shame on you. Here comes the court action to recovery the wasted time spent on correcting OneDrive sync. Service contacts being used to the maximum.

2017 is here and this feature is still not available. Great work onedrive team, you are making office365 experience for business worst experience ever. I cant believe it, is this company serious?

• CBlack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will a higher-up at Microsoft please fire this team already? The state of OneDrive for the last 2 years is simply unforgivable.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

OneDrive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base