I suggest you ...

Give us back our storage

Recently, a blog post was announced detailing that you would be reducing our free and paid storage. Only 1TB for Office 365 customers, and only 5 GB for free customers. I have been a long-time OneDrive fan, but after this upgrade I can no longer recommend it as my promised storage has been taken away. Some of us actually store a normal amount of stuff in OneDrive. Why makes us pay for those who went over the top?

72,425 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ian S.Ian S. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    closed  ·  Douglas PearceAdminDouglas Pearce (Group Program Manager, Microsoft) responded  · 

In November we made a business decision to reduce storage limits for OneDrive. Since then, we’ve heard clearly from our Windows and OneDrive fans about the frustration and disappointment we have caused. We realize the announcement came across as blaming customers for using our product. For this, we are truly sorry and would like to apologize to the community.

While we are not changing our overall plans, we’d like to clarify what we are doing for customers impacted by the changes and share a new offer which we hope will go a long way in making the situation better for our biggest fans.

Office 365 Home, Personal, and University subscriptions will continue to include 1 TB of storage. Any subscriber who received additional storage as part of our unlimited offer will keep it for at least 12 months. For anyone unhappy with the decision to not offer unlimited storage, we will offer a full refund.

For customers of our free service who have over 5 GB of content and who are directly impacted by the storage change, we will offer one free year of Office 365 Personal, which includes 1 TB of storage.  These customers will receive an email with redemption information early next year.

In addition, for our biggest fans who have been loyal advocates for OneDrive, we are adding a new offer that lets you keep your existing 15 GB of free storage when the changes happen next year. If you also have the 15 GB camera roll bonus, you’ll be able to keep that as well. From now until the end of January, you can sign up to keep your storage at the link below.

http://aka.ms/onedrivestorage

We are all genuinely sorry for the frustration this decision has caused and for the way it was communicated. Thank you for sticking with us.

4667 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use less than 10 GB and mpw are forced to upgrade to 1 TB..I will nevrr fo because I never use.

• Morgan RajanMorgan Rajan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you received the Seagate or HP Stream mini 200GB enthusiast bonus, please post here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/forum/odstorage-odsubs/reneging-on-enthusiast-bonus-agreement/a40a8e61-2408-417c-b4a2-200e095edc76

Microsoft's revoking free storage on OneDrive for those who bought into those programs is probably illegal:
        https://support.office.com/en-us/article/OneDrive-storage-plan-and-billing-questions-989fce19-ade6-4e2f-81fb-941eabefee28
        What happens to my data if I cancel my subscription or my bonus storage expires and I’ve exceeded my 5 GB free storage limit?

If you cancel your subscription or if your free storage bonus expires, your data will continue to be accessible. You'll be able to view, share, and download files on your OneDrive, but you won't be able to upload files until you buy more storage or free up space.

• KadirKadir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I didn't get the memo about the One drive promotion to my outlook email account and just lost my 15GB of free storage. Please help me get it back.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a disappointment, now I find that I could have 15gb free but strangely did not get me any mail. But I came to the office mail 365. You're a champion in marketing ... you get around people. I sell 950+ tablet surface ... in fact gift

• MarshallMarshall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its the same as ransom ware. I did not want to use One Drive to begin with because I do not trust the cloud. After turning off One Drive, I can not retrieve my files. Not even from my own PC. My next PC will be an Apple.

Мне не нравится, что объем хранилища такой маленький. Всего 5 гб уж очень этого мало, хотелось бы больше (вернуть 15 гб). В дальнейшем планирую купить уже больший бъем..

• prefer not to tellprefer not to tell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very unfair unbusinesslike move by Microsoft. I had to move large amount of pictures to Google drive. Now I have to do more moving before July from 8gb to less than 5gb. How can Microsoft claim being a leader when doing these kind of deceit? I have been a loyal windows devices fan, but since, have been slowly moving to Android.

I really hate OneDrive so much and you know why i really hate OneDrive so much?..... its because OneDrive give everyone 30GB before and then OneDrive went down to 5GB.... now that's really SUCK!!! bunch of ********* OneDrive!!!............Hate you soo much!!!

• tiftif commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

before one drive give everyone 30GB for free and now the one went down to 5GB and i don't understand why they do like this?... maybe one drive company want to make people to buy their space.... now that's certainly really suck badly!!!....

• ThomasThomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an act of fraud. I earned my 10 TB for being a customer. After giving it you take it. There has to be fraud in that. I want my storage back. If you don't want to offer it anymore that's fine. But I want mine back.

• MattMatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ridiculous and why Microsoft is becoming increasingly irrelevant. I have been a big advocate of OneDrive and Skydrive before that. I dropped other services because OneDrive provided me 10TB that i have used for a few years (now have 4.5TB on OneDrive). Now, with no warning, my account is going to be shut down in June for being over a 1TB limit. Great job of driving people away. I was considering getting a surface, but not anymore. And I will be cancelling my Office 365 subscription- the most useful part is now useless.

• updogupdog commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where the **** is my 10TB of storage?! Thanks for ripping me off again Microsoft!

• Mathew McMorranMathew McMorran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely unacceptable Microsoft! Earlier Today I started with 10TB and now I'm reduced down to 1TB!! No warning, nothing. How are they even allowed to do that? I have been using almost 5TB of storage and now their going to freeze my OneDrive with all my files?!?!

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too am now cancelling my Office 365 subscription due to your decision to punish all users for the abuse of a small minority via this blanket downgrade in storage space. I have a 3.5 TB photo archive which I cloud synced with OneDrive for years. Now that you can no longer meet my storage needs I am switching to Amazon Unlimited storage at half the price of my Office 365 account.

• Stev GibsonStev Gibson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, with minimal upgrades or changes to Office 365 Apps, and this 90% reduction in offline storage, you just lost an Office 365 customer. Worse than that, I'm going to find it hard to recommend the product any longer to my customers. This limit can't affect 5% of your customers, so it's clearly symbolic - or, just as bad, profit-driven in a punitive way. Bad business decision, for sure.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 233 234

OneDrive: OneDrive.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base